Replacing instruments/guages?

Hi everyone, I'm using FS Panel Studio and am really struggling with modifying the panel in My FSX Carenado Cherokee.

I've opened Panel.cfg by aircraft and picked the Main Panel. Here I have deleted the radio stack and replaced it with 2 x GNC255's, Bendix DME and ADF. I then saved the file and ran FSX, but the panel is the same as the original one. I also noticed that the basic bitmap for the panel in Panel Studio is not the same one as the model I'm flying in FSX. I've also tried to modify the stock MS C172 in the same way but still no changes. What is going on here? am I doing something wrong? any ideas?

FSX running in Win 10 with a complete new install.
Edited by PilotBobUK

I ran into this problem before. It drove me batty for a while but I was able to fix the issue. In win 10 under C:/Users/(your computer name)/AppData/local/VirtualStore I found my computer storing files pertaining to certain aircraft panels that kept the original file intact. I deleted these files from the virtual storage file and there it was! All my changes apperaed and I didn't have anymore problems. I keep a close eye on this file now and haven't had any other issues with FSX. Don't know if this is your issue, but suspect it may be.

Brigadier General Frank Savage

918th Bomb Group "Hard Luck Group"

On 7/11/2023 at 10:32 AM, PilotBobUK said:

I also noticed that the basic bitmap for the panel in Panel Studio is not the same one as the model I'm flying in FSX.

I'm not familiar with the Carenado Cherokee, but IMO you're modifying the 2D panel, and then viewing the VC panel (or vice versa).

This could be why you see no results.

Modifying the 2D is easy, but modifying the VC is difficult, even unfeasible in some cases.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

18 hours ago, WaistGunner said:

I ran into this problem before. It drove me batty for a while but I was able to fix the issue. In win 10 under C:/Users/(your computer name)/AppData/local/VirtualStore I found my computer storing files pertaining to certain aircraft panels that kept the original file intact. I deleted these files from the virtual storage file and there it was! All my changes apperaed and I didn't have anymore problems. I keep a close eye on this file now and haven't had any other issues with FSX. Don't know if this is your issue, but suspect it may be.

Thanks for the input, I sort of thought something like that was happening, however on looking into it I have no "panel" files in the "Virtual store", back to the drawing board.

3 hours ago, f16jockey_2 said:

I'm not familiar with the Carenado Cherokee, but IMO you're modifying the 2D panel, and then viewing the VC panel (or vice versa).

This could be why you see no results.

Modifying the 2D is easy, but modifying the VC is difficult, even unfeasible in some cases.

Wim

This all sounds more likely, the thing is I'm sure I did have some years ago, at least a DME in the panel as I used it to fly the ILS approach at LYDD which requires a DME. SInce having to re-install everything due to a hard drive failure I've lost everything I prevoiusly had.

Well it sure looks like we've found the problem, until I find a way to alter the VC a workaround is to fly using the 2D cockpit view which gives me the new instruments I put in using FSPS. At least I can now practice my instrument approaches again. If anyone has any further ideas they would be much appreciated. Thanks for the help so far.

I think I have (am) experienced a similar problem. I tried to put a DME gauge in the JBK DC4 VC. I followed a procedure I was referred to in Calclassic forum.

I found that no changes seemed to be shown.

The only thing I could think,of was that this was all originally for FS9.

So, like everyone else, I cannot get. DME gauge in Jen’s DC 4. 
Such a shame he didn’t model it. Surely the actual plane had a DME.

If anyone has an answer as to how to get one, I’d be obliged.

1 hour ago, mrzippy said:

Just wondering if you can add popup gauges to the VC?

Good idea. One could create a new popup with only the forementioned 2 x GNC255's, Bendix DME and ADF gauges.

It can be popped in any view (2D, VC or even external) with the Shift 1 to 0 combo (on the main keyboard, not the numpad).

Wim

• Thanks 1
b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg