On Approach using IFR rules/GPS plane veers off a 2 or 3 miles

deauxwolf

Dear Flightsim,

I fly mainly big passenger planes, Heavy's, Camsims Boeings, Air buses, Antonovs etc.

I go to an airport i.e.: KATL, or Wherever, create a flight plan, IFR rules, find my destination airports code for a specific runway, set altimeter, climb rate,  heading, switch it to GPS and take-off.

When I get to altitude, I fast fwd to 120 miles out or so, and start to descent.

It only happens a a few airports runways. Today I was landing Chicago O'Hare,  runway 9L  Nav1 set to 110.50, punched in approach on the GPS and when I got a couple of miles out it just veers way left WTH?  I know I can come in from the N/W or Straight down over Lake Michigan NP, normally I shut off AP when I'm lined up good, but it will take me str8 in with it on...

Same goes with Hawaii 4L and 4R, I've flown that so many times I can cut the AP off 3-4 miles out and keyboard her in, no joy Stick flying here...

Anyway what's the deal?

TIA,

Sneauxwolf on YouTube

No idea what causes this but i experience the same with a variety of aircraft.  Partway along the approach the plane suddenly veers off near 90deg from where it should be, and often starts descending.  Kill the AP amidst a bout of unacceptable language and continue manually, either back or course or a go-around, depending on aircraft.  I suspect some arcane interaction between sceneries/airports.

I still can't get it to come in over the lake runway 27L's, or from the south r9's.

I used to...

I switched planes from a380 to a 727 and came in from the west np, both a380 and 727...

Bored... I hope y'all don't mind me posting my vids!!!

When you fly IFR, do you follow ATC instructions? And if so does this weering happen? Also did you try the flight w/o fast forwarding? 

Does ILS affect it? Many qs. Also posting a video showing the event would help.

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

47 minutes ago, beroun said:

When you fly IFR, do you follow ATC instructions? And if so does this weering happen? Also did you try the flight w/o fast forwarding? 

Does ILS affect it? Many qs. Also posting a video showing the event would help.

Ty,

no, I do not listen to ATC. I follow speed rules up to about FL170, then open it up till I get to FL 330/FL335-FL360/FL355 North-West rule  500ft odd/ even. I don't slew, well I have. I use the map to drag the plane up to 120nm out, then I follow the 3-1 rule.

If I'm at FL 360, I cut the engines to neutral, 120nm out and descend at ~1500fps.

As far as the veering off goes, I looked at some old PHNL landings, like 13+ years ago, and landing 4L or 4R, I had to cut the AP off a couple of miles out and keyboarded my way in. So PHNL has always done it on 4L and R. KORD 9L/R is new to me, (I never tried Southern approach b4 either) I have no problem coming in from the west, never have 14L/R? I also never had a problem coming in over lake Michigan 27L /R till I tried today, maybe I need to create a new flight, as you can see on below video KORD 27L/R brings me right in... Now, I'm Using Win10 Pro, and have migrated all my planes and scenery etc., from xp to 7, and now 10, soo.  

TY again,

It's just those runways as far as I know, I just Got bored and figured I'd stretch my wings, (the video's are a might as well, while I'm at it thing) Start+G gives you Xbox live recorder  then I have to use Msft Clipchamp to add Music... It used to take Fraps, Xvid, and NCH, a couple of days  as opposed to an hr., or 2!

9 hours ago, deauxwolf said:

Ty,

no, I do not listen to ATC. I follow speed rules up to about FL170, then open it up till I get to FL 330/FL335-FL360/FL355 North-West rule  500ft odd/ even. I don't slew, well I have. I use the map to drag the plane up to 120nm out, then I follow the 3-1 rule.

If I'm at FL 360, I cut the engines to neutral, 120nm out and descend at ~1500fps.

As far as the veering off goes, I looked at some old PHNL landings, like 13+ years ago, and landing 4L or 4R, I had to cut the AP off a couple of miles out and keyboarded my way in. So PHNL has always done it on 4L and R. KORD 9L/R is new to me, (I never tried Southern approach b4 either) I have no problem coming in from the west, never have 14L/R? I also never had a problem coming in over lake Michigan 27L /R till I tried today, maybe I need to create a new flight, as you can see on below video KORD 27L/R brings me right in... Now, I'm Using Win10 Pro, and have migrated all my planes and scenery etc., from xp to 7, and now 10, soo.  

TY again,

It's just those runways as far as I know, I just Got bored and figured I'd stretch my wings, (the video's are a might as well, while I'm at it thing) Start+G gives you Xbox live recorder  then I have to use Msft Clipchamp to add Music... It used to take Fraps, Xvid, and NCH, a couple of days  as opposed to an hr., or 2!

Actually I did turn AP off about 4 miles  out from KORD 27L, so I guess I knew  years ago it was going to veer. It could be scenery I added for Meigs Field and or Chicago buildings. I can land KORD 22R. 14L, and R np, 27 L/R for that matter...

FWIW: KLAX, from what I recall, coming in from the S SE(HI) the 2 RT runways veer, the Left 2 are fine. Coming in from the East to KLAX all's well. All my major CA. Airports are fine SFO, KSAN etc. Shanghai Pudong coming from the West only 1 runway won't veer, from the E, all's well. Shanghai city scenery is killer, There's a couple of flybys in a Turboprop on my YouTube think it's Worx. I don't recall any where else in the world I have a problem.

Ty,

I doubt there's a cure for my install...

Ty,

I can only think of one Addon, Jetways and terminals, or runways, it enhances more than it interferes, I'll check.

Also the afcads added over 15 years, +3 moves from xp to 7, to 10, I could never find them, not worth it!

I have put together GREAT freeware Sceneries over the years/ decades.

It's fine...

sneauxwolf

5 hours ago, deauxwolf said:

You did Ask for A video showing veer/ bad ILS For KORD 37L/R

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LzZqpBDvHs

So, it goes like this.

Your video is titled KORD 27L 110 10 (let's not dwell on 37L/R just above...)

Without trying to reproduce your flight, I think I know what's gone wrong.

You haven't told us if you are using an addon KORD but as far as I can see, 27L has ILS/DME 111.10, not 110.10

You have to intercept a glideslope from beneath it. The AP won't capture the GS in approach mode if your plane is too high. The warning sign is twofold: 1. your descent at 3000 fpm within afew miles and 2. there's no glideslope pip on the right side of your PFD.

There are several other, more severe warning signs, too:

27L at KORD has ILS/DME. You have NAV1 selected in the red N1 /N2 gauge on the left of your panel but there's no DME distance showing. You appear to be detuned for 27L and your AP won't capture it.

I don't think the AP will fly an approach on NAV2 so you have to tune NAV1 to the required ILS freq.

You are aiming at 27L (the compass in your PFD shows you lined up at 275°) but your NAV1 audio is singing ILQQ. That's the ILS freq for 22L, not for your runway. 22L doesn't have DME hence the lack of numbers in the DME display.

27L should sing ITSL.

You are flying a GPS plan referencing RWY27L, which is probably why your AP made the initial approach to 27L via WILLT. (As an aside, I couldn't find WILLT in my ancient database but over the other side of the airport I did find waypoints called warts, palid, swett and vains. Nice.)

What is happening is that you are telling the AP to fly an approach to 22L but you are in line with 27L because of your GPS plan. You are also very much too high, possibly because of a bad altitude set in the plan for WILLT. When you get close to the threshold, the AP finally detects ILS for 22L and tries to capture it, cranking the plane around in a desperate attempt at correcting things. By that point, you are far too late for either runway.

Either you are aiming at the wrong runway or you have tuned the wrong ILS. All in all, I'd say the problem is likely to be one of situational awareness 🙂

• Thanks 1

Ty Again,

"Situational awareness"  I Like that, also I was tuned to 111.10, 110.10=typo...

I was switched to GPs, I originated flight at midway, thus the GPS, and below it willt. It's hard to see the switch in bottom of the jpg. 

I can't explain all my flights, ILS/GPS set to 111.10 27L veering off at ~3000-2400ft 3-4 miles out(Actually (600ft) accounting for airport elevation of 600ft, or PHNL(If you saw the video I deleted, I was low on approach) or Pudong, KLAX etc. Also, The KSEA To KORD video above, I did cut AP off 8 years ago, I musta known it veer!

I never have a problem fs9 ILS waves grabbing me 10-20 miles or further out, and up.

Do you fly FS9?, or any1 here try the approach see what happens... 

Untitled.thumb.jpg.1e24075ae0c6d6da1e31f5b625ca7828.jpg

47 minutes ago, deauxwolf said:

Ty Again,

"Situational awareness"  I Like that, also I was tuned to 111.10, 110.10=typo...

Do you fly FS9?,

For about 20 years.

Explain then why your DME is not active and your NAV1 audio says ILQQ...

Ty,

I probably didn't tic of DME on the Radio. Where do you see ILQQ. I saw altitude switch from 1.3  to 5-6 as is normal looked like ILQQ

I just  deleted it @YouTube, I can put it back up or another using my 737 or other heavy and get same result  "Definition of insanity is..."

I can create this flight 100 times, SOS. Why do you think I asked here about that specific approach? Untitled.thumb.jpg.87fac0cd0e3378e725adb2b8a9dca30f.jpg

Hi Guys,

I took a good look at the differences between the runways and their designation numbers at stock KORD and compared them with those at my addon KORD. There are six runways in total of which three have parallels. However, in the addon version of KORD, runway 27L should be 27R and runway 28 should be 27L, in fact as they are correctly specified in the stock version. There could be some more differences here and there but I havn't looked any further ..... yet.

In my opinion, a bug in the addon KORD.

I have edited my two runways in my own addon KORD, have then tested some ILS approaches and all went well. The automatic editing run for the FSNav program will be done tomorrow.

Regards

Hans

I notice you still had the NAV/GPS switch set to GPS. Before you try to capture an ILS you must switch from GPS to NAV.

I always make sure I have the (at least approximate) heading selected (the heading bug) then switch from GPS to NAV with HDG (heading) selected on the autopilot, then if in range of the ILS switch to Approach on the autopilot.

• Like 1

FAA evidence of pilot error ;-))

Your737onapproach1.jpg.7a3ff09e9f050763705280dcf5d7c450.jpg

Your 737 on final. You must select NAV for the ILS to function properly (pic from video evidence you supplied!)

Your747onfinal.jpg.0fdeee18a5427a93b10d76869b210b4f.jpg

Your 747 on final with GPS selected (should be NAV) once again video evidence supplied by you!

However pilots' licence not suspended due to nice music tra la la!

6 hours ago, ScottishMike said:

FAA evidence of pilot error ;-))

Your737onapproach1.jpg.7a3ff09e9f050763705280dcf5d7c450.jpg

Your 737 on final. You must select NAV for the ILS to function properly (pic from video evidence you supplied!)

Your747onfinal.jpg.0fdeee18a5427a93b10d76869b210b4f.jpg

Your 747 on final with GPS selected (should be NAV) once again video evidence supplied by you!

However pilots' licence not suspended due to nice music tra la la!

Pilot error? I landed those planes, If you're talking about the 747 in a monsoon  PHNL 2 KSAN, that particular plane's gear did not offer resistance when deployed + restarting the flight you don't get power for a few seconds, and drop like a rock. (When talking about a video name which 1 please)

It's good to see the problem is sorted.

Kudos to @ScottishMike for spotting the NAV/GPS setting. In your King Air video, I completely failed to notice it. Looking at your screenshots above, I guess it shows in green at top left of the PFD.

On 6/6/2023 at 10:34 PM, deauxwolf said:

I probably didn't tic of DME on the Radio. Where do you see ILQQ

I didn't see ILQQ: rather it was the morse code bleeping away in the background in the cockpit. The switches across the top of the radio stack select or silence the audio component of a nav beacon's signal. Same thing for the DME switch in the same place at the top of the stack.

That red N1/N2 DME gauge (anyone know what its proper name is?) should work whenever it's turned on if you're tuned to a beacon with DME. In the stock KORD, 27L has ILS+DME while 22L has only ILS.

11 hours ago, deauxwolf said:

Pilot error? I landed those planes,

Any one you walk away from is a good one...

D

But some are better than others...

The beauty of simming is you do it the way you enjoy; dont let me or anyone else tell you how you should enjoy it.

If you want to barnstorm in an Antonov 225 go ahead and do it. (you'll need a mighty big barn 🙂).

I was just trying to answer your original question about why your aircraft veered off the ILS glidepath (with some humour thrown in).