Texture Problem

LordofGats

Dear flightsim.com.... I got a problem.
I have made a custom texture of Ruth's A340-500 i got from Rikoooo, using his Paintkit mod i got from simviation, its fuselage appears black including its Rudder, any solution that can just easily fix this?

Picture:

6d7ab2a6dc02e7cd97b87613cc8a214d.png

2 hours ago, LordofGats said:

Dear flightsim.com.... I got a problem.
I have made a custom texture of Ruth's A340-500 i got from Rikoooo, using his Paintkit mod i got from simviation, its fuselage appears black including its Rudder, any solution that can just easily fix this?

If you don't find a solution try fsdeveloper.com.  No guarantees, but their forums are more development centered.

Ernest Pergrem

System: i7-13700K, Gigabyte Z790 UD AX, 32GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1080 FTW Gaming, Windows 11 Pro 64-bit, MSFS 2020, FSX, Thrustmaster T.16000M Joystick, Cessna Pedals, Saitek Trim Wheel, Switch Panel, and Multi Panel

I have the aircraft installed, never repainted it though.

The picture shows that the wings are textured: the aircraft.cfg/texture folder combo is OK.

So the problem is with the other textures, which are all in one file main.dds.

So either you misspelled the name of that file (very unlikely) or the file is saved in an incorrect format.

It should be DDS DXT5.

What tools did you use to make your repaint? And in what order?

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

You need to use DTXBmp to open and then save your bmp files in the appropriate foremat.

I usually open one of the original files to see if any alpha is included.

I either save as in either Extended bitmap DXT5 or DDS DT5 depending on the original.

It took a bit of trial and error to find which aircraft use which format.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2883/dxtbmp-dxt-extended-bitmap-editor/

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

2 hours ago, f16jockey_2 said:

I have the aircraft installed, never repainted it though.

The picture shows that the wings are textured: the aircraft.cfg/texture folder combo is OK.

So the problem is with the other textures, which are all in one file main.dds.

So either you misspelled the name of that file (very unlikely) or the file is saved in an incorrect format.

It should be DDS DXT5.

What tools did you use to make your repaint? And in what order?

Wim

The tool i used was paint.net, havent particularly saved it but on DTXbmp, but, Imma probably follow.

a4672aae524948712832532c71a78065.png

I think the problem could stem that the main.dds diemensions are 5689x5689 and the other textures are 2048x2048, yada yada. Do you think it could be both of those problems or just one?

I also use paint.net.

I resize the image to 2048x2048 and then save the file as a bmp,

Then the file must be opened with DTXBmp to reformat to Extended bitmap DXT5 or DDS DT5.

It is a multi step process.

You can not save directly from paint.net to Extended bitmap DXT5 or DDS DT5.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

I think the problem could stem that the main.dds diemensions are 5689x5689 and the other textures are 2048x2048, yada yada.

Textures sizes in FSX need to be a power of 2 (256x256, 512x512, etc..), if not they'll show up black.

So that could well be your problem.

I'm not familiar with paint.net, but I'm sure it has some resize function to get it down to 2048x2048.

Wim

19 minutes ago, f16jockey_2 said:

I'm not familiar with paint.net

Paint.net is a free, open source, full-function graphics drawing/editing program on the lines of Photoshop.

I often open pds files from paintkits with paint.net (fully layerds) and then work with paint.net.

https://www.getpaint.net/

phrog x 2.jpg

13 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Paint.net is a free, open source, full-function graphics drawing/editing program on the lines of Photoshop.

I often open pds files from paintkits with paint.net (fully layerds) and then work with paint.net.

Well, i downloaded Paint.net for making that texture, and im not sure how to resize it without it sorta cropping, anyway to get the right dimensions?

3 hours ago, LordofGats said:

i downloaded Paint.net

56 minutes ago, f16jockey_2 said:

Did the same.

Nice to see you both got paint.net.

I've found it to be quite fully functioned and is limited only by what I don't know about it, yet.

phrog x 2.jpg

20 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Nice to see you both got paint.net.

I've found it to be quite fully functioned and is limited only by what I don't know about it, yet.

Okay uh, it was the dimensions. But now its next issue is that its not properly......Something about being positioned (yada yada yada...)

6afd7e18031befe389a57642f2113b71.png

1 hour ago, LordofGats said:

But now its next issue is that its not properly......Something about being positioned (yada yada yada...)

Have you compared this livery to the original livery? Is it maybe rotated by 90° or something? Are all the different parts where they belong?

If it is rotated, you just need to rotate it back.

If the parts are at the wrong places... That could be hard to solve.

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI), AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor, 32Gb RAM, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, Windows 10, TCA Quadrant Airbus Edition, Samsung SYNCMASTER TA550
https://nfm-addons.ch/
https://www.instagram.com/nfm_sceneries/
https://flightsim.to/profile/nico_lszk

But now its next issue is that its not properly......Something about being positioned (yada yada yada...)

I have had this exact issue occur when it using the incorrect format.

This is not an alignment issue.

If it is a Extended bitmap DXT5, save as a DDS DXT5, or visa versa.

phrog x 2.jpg

I just looked at the files in the paint kit. They appear to be either bmp or tga.

Also, when you opened the "main" file with DTXBmp, did you note that it has an alpha and mitmap?

This needs to be the same in your modified file.

image.jpeg.00d83bdf182c550f8c596367196ab5cb.jpeg

phrog x 2.jpg

2 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

I just looked at the files in the paint kit. They appear to be either bmp or tga.

Also, when you opened the "main" file with DTXBmp, did you note that it has an alpha and mitmap?

This needs to be the same in your modified file.

image.jpeg.00d83bdf182c550f8c596367196ab5cb.jpeg

i nevered opened it in DTXbmp.

myhonestreaction.gif

As I stated earlier, you have to convert the modified image to the appropriate DXT5 using DTXbmp. This is also the only way you will know it there are is an imbedded alpha or if it  uses mitmap. Open the original pre-modified file with DTXbmp and send to your editor from there. You can also save a copy of the imbedded alpha at the same time for use when you use DTXbmp to do the final DXT5 reformatting.

phrog x 2.jpg

4 hours ago, LordofGats said:

But now its next issue is that its not properly......Something about being positioned

Starting from the TGA from the paint kit, you need to FLIP the texture vertically, so the tail parts on the texture are in the top left corner.

The Flip Vertically Function is available in both DxtBmp and paint.net.

Warning: don't rotate, use FLIP.

As Phrog stated, you need to open an original main.dds texture with DXTBMP, and send the image part to your editor.

In your editor, overwrite the image with your repaint (eg. the tga from the paint kit saved as a bmp), save as norm.bmp (default) in editor, and reload the modded image back into DXTBMP.

Save as DDS DXT5, thus keeping the original alpha intact.

Wim

p.s. Can anyone guide me to the location of the paint.net executable, so I can add it as default in DXTBMP.

• 2 weeks later...