Is Win 11 finally "killing" FS9?

caphavoc

Just wondering if it's me, but as of April 10, something has radically altered my FS9 install ... primarily, I now have NO sound (ATC/Environment/Aircraft et al). Currently am using Realtek HD Audio drivers (v6.0.8703.1) which were working fine on April 9; however, went to continue the flight next day ... and nada, no sound.

In my Windows 11 Sound System Control panel I have:

- Realtek HD Audio 2nd Output (I use headphones) set as my default Sound Device formatted to

- 2 Channels, 24bit, 48000Hz Studio Quality

- Level set at: 33 (Left: 33, Right: 33)

- Audio Enhancements: Off and

- Spatial Audio: Off

In the Windows 11 Control Panel/Sound I have disabled Exclusive Mode and Under Communications: Do Nothing.

I have only now just finished rolling Win 11 back to a 04.04.2023 Restore Point and let it do it's thing. Curiously enough, I now have sound for FS9.

So, has anyone else (who also uses Windows 11) experienced any FS9 sound anomalies within the last week? Should also mention this happened at least a day or so before the latest Windows 11 update released this morning (12.04.2023).

Regards,

Dorian

Great to see others have no problems. However, there is some gremlin at malicious play on my rig.

@ Tom: Yep. First thing I looked at. Unfortunately, no go. Thanx though (I know how easy it is to accidently mash the Q key. 🙂 )

@JSMR: Am seriously giving consideration to reinstalling Win10 (an OS I never ever had any problems with).

Regards,

Dorian

10 hours ago, caphavoc said:

@JSMR: Am seriously giving consideration to reinstalling Win10 (an OS I never ever had any problems with).

Strangely enough, an update to Windows 10 messed up the sound on my FSX, which until then I was trying my hardest to enjoy. It turned out to be a known issue with certain hardware/software combinations so FSX got its marching orders and FS2004 rules here.

I'm just mentioning this because I don't see the slightest chance of that issue ever being fixed as Windoze 10 is already outdated. So hanging on to an old operating system isn't always going to be the be-all and end-all.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

On 4/12/2023 at 9:41 AM, michaelkalinowsk said:

Absolutely no issues on my system. Running FS2004 under W11 since a year or so.

Edition           Windows 11 Pro
Version           22H2
Installed on    ‎30.‎01.‎2023
OSbuild          22621.1413
Performance   Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22639.1000.0

Before one wonders how it could be a year with Win11 already.

I was using Win10 for a few years already, "upgraded" to Win11. I didn't like the context menu of Win11 and went back to Win10. All the time I had no issues running FS2004. So in January this year I have returned to Win11 (using StartAllBack to have the old fashioned Win10 user interface context menu etc.). And believe me I never had no problems with FS2004.

Albeit you have to make sure a few things - never install FS2004 in the default path, best have a separate partition for FS2004 and run FS2004 with admin rights. Also install all add-ons using the admin option.

Michael

Gi'day,

Took the path of least resistance and re-installed Windows 11 (hey, it has worked flawleslly since 2018). Have just now started a plain vanilla reinstall of FS9.1, and, so far, no sound problem(s).

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

Regards,

Dorian

13 minutes ago, caphavoc said:

Gi'day,

Took the path of least resistance and re-installed Windows 11 (hey, it has worked flawleslly since 2018). Have just now started a plain vanilla reinstall of FS9.1, and, so far, no sound problem(s).

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

Regards,

Dorian

You didn't try what I suggested?

Mark Daniels

Gi'day Mark,

Unpluged headphones ... yes. Don't have computer speakers so there's nothing to plug in (haven't owned any since 2005-6). Have lived under headphones since my ABC radio producer days back in the late 60s.

Regards,

Dorian

1 hour ago, caphavoc said:

Gi'day Mark,

Unpluged headphones ... yes. Don't have computer speakers so there's nothing to plug in (haven't owned any since 2005-6). Have lived under headphones since my ABC radio producer days back in the late 60s.

Regards,

Dorian

Ok, no worries, thanks Dorian.

Mark Daniels