FS version in Uploads

beroun

Would be great if there was a feature in uploads where the uploaders MUST indicate, which FS is the upload for (FS2004, FSX, FS 2020). This should show in the selection first.

Many new uploads just specify the aircraft info and one must download it to see wich FS is it for. Sometimes it does not even show and experimenting is necessary.

• Like 1

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

beroun, This was posted previously by Nels in the New Software forum and may be of interest. It is a good protocol for content creators to follow, and will help people with searching.

"As file librarian, I used just such a standard format. I once wrote up a highly detailed document on how a good file description should begin:

Template for Perfect File Description

Part 1: Title

If the file is an aircraft the title should contain the following parts in this order:

1) What flight simulator(s) the file is for
2) If it's an airliner, what airline livery
3) The name of the company that built the plane
4) The model/type of the plane
5) Additional descriptive information such as:
   a) aircraft registration numbers
   b) terms like "fleet" if multiple planes are included

Sections 2 and 5 are optional.

Examples:

FS2004 United Airlines Boeing 747-400 N747UA
	------ --------------- ------ ------- ------
	1      2               3      4       5

FSX/P3D Delta Airlines Airbus A320-200
	------- -------------- ------ --------
	1       2              3      4

X-Plane Piper PA28-181 Archer II
	------- ----- ------------------
	1       3     4

If you remember the old file library, you saw this standard format on every aircraft file. Scenery is done in a similar manner, adjusted for the different information required.

What you have to remember is you're not just writing text, you're actually putting down a whole list of tags that the search engine will use to find the file.

So further, an ideal description should include every possible term under which it might be searched. For example, airplanes often have an official name and a nickname, i.e. F-15 "Eagle". Someone looking for that plane could possibly use either of those terms in their search. You also run into cases where multiple terms are used for the same thing, i.e. "USAF" and "US Air Force" and "United States Air Force" all mean the same thing.

In scenery what I've seen lately is people won't fully describe what and where the scenery is. I.e., they will include the ICAO code for the airport, but NOT include what state or country it's in.

So now that the uploader is responsible, it's up to you to provide a description that will make your files findable by people doing reasonable searches. Hope this helps "

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

Hi PhrogPhlyer,

Good and valid points.

All my uploads were in previous site, and I recall there was a note to start the title text with the FS version, which I always did.

BUT have just noted that when uploading here. there is a drop-down selecting the sim type and section and the Upload cannot continue only when this selection is made.

That is great BUT when you see some newly aploaded aircraft (see pictures) the title does not mention the sim version - some do but many dont. Perhaps the drop=down info should filter into these titles.

Screenshot (1353).jpg

Screenshot (1354).jpg

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

On 4/4/2023 at 11:20 PM, beroun said:

Would be great if there was a feature in uploads where the uploaders MUST indicate, which FS is the upload for (FS2004, FSX, FS 2020). This should show in the selection first.

Many new uploads just specify the aircraft info and one must download it to see wich FS is it for. Sometimes it does not even show and experimenting is necessary.

Good idea!

59 minutes ago, Nels_Anderson said:

uploader really needs to include this same information in the file description text,

I'll keep preaching this whenever I can. Sometimes the simplest ideas are the hardest to make happen.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

• Founder
13 hours ago, beroun said:

Hi Nels,

maybe there should be a note for uploaders to start the file description by the FS version. I believe it was there in the previous web uploads.

When I was running things this was strongly encouraged, and included in our instructions to uploaders.

While the new system where the creator has complete control does have its advantages, we are seeing here a disadvantage of no longer having a librarian edit and curate everything that went into the library.

The new owners had once mentioned adding a system of volunteer editors (similar to the idea of volunteer forum moderators) who could edit file descriptions to fix omissions like we're discussing here. I wonder what happened to that idea? Maybe they can chime in and reply...

• Like 1