Cam angles vs Bob

SouthportGuy

Hi,

A while back I installed Bob. So this lets you walk around airports. I've only just started trying it and I no longer have my install folder with the read-me or any instructions how does it work/get controlled?

Home Airport - Southport Airport, Southport, Manitoba, Canada| FSX/Acceleration | MSI GT70 Laptop | Windows 8.1 -64bit | Intel ® Core i7-3630 QM | CPU@ 2.4GHZ (cores can dynamically overclock to up to 3.2 GHz (920XM)) | Ram 12GB | NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 670M discrete graphics card (with GDDR5 3GB VRAM)

It works basically as an airplane, albeit you can't take off. The throttle makes bob go faster or slower, joystick controls make him go different directions, ahe twisting the joystick makes him face different ways (turns his head).

I us the Logitech XTreme 3D pro joystick btw, you might be different. Should be the same principle.

http://vnorthwest.com/lib/signatures/NWA3004.png

Great VA! Join me at http://www.vnorthwest.com :)

OK. So you have to start Bob's engines?
Home Airport - Southport Airport, Southport, Manitoba, Canada| FSX/Acceleration | MSI GT70 Laptop | Windows 8.1 -64bit | Intel ® Core i7-3630 QM | CPU@ 2.4GHZ (cores can dynamically overclock to up to 3.2 GHz (920XM)) | Ram 12GB | NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 670M discrete graphics card (with GDDR5 3GB VRAM)

I don't have a joystick just keyboard. Just sitting and playing with trying to get him to walk. No luck yet.

Anyway, ultimately what I'm trying to do is figure out a way to playback an FSRecorded flight but walk around the airplane on the ground and take pictures from customized angles.

I know there are ways to create custom camera positions but after a while the same shot from the same angle gets old so I want to be able to always reposition cameras as fast as I feel inspired to. Any ideas?

You have a great idea using Bob for camera shoots! Creating camera angles is a bit beyond my skill level, but I bet there is someone else who can.

To get bob moving, use your throttle to go faster or slower (F2 and F3), rudder to move his head, and alerons controls to move in different directions.

http://vnorthwest.com/lib/signatures/NWA3004.png

Great VA! Join me at http://www.vnorthwest.com :)

I believe so. Hit control-e and he says something like "Let's go for a walk" and then you can go.

I load an airport and it starts at a parking spot. But when I hit ctrl-e nothing happens except the usual notification and "engines are not started - hit ctrl-e to start engines".

OK. Well that's interesting. It seems I have to fuel Bob before I can use him.

OK cool it works now.

On a separate note, is it possible to load a flight but multi-play bob watching one of my flight's taxi and take-offs from the ground?

FSRecorder was made for what you want to do. One of the many options FSRecorder has is the ability to make several 'tower view' at different positions and heights. You slew to location and height, then from menu you 'Create Tower View at Present Spot' (or simular). I have used FSRecorder since 2007 (with FS9) and now FSX.

The way to do this is to fly your airplane (takeoff, etc as usual), making note of height 1/4 of runway, 1/2 of runway, 3/4 of runway, then 1/2 nm out. You then use 'Instant Replay' and 'Save' (a opposed to just 'Playing' it). Thus you have a 'Recording' of that saved 'Flight' which you will then Play As Ai later.

Using those notes, you slew to aprox distances (1/4, 1/2, etc) AND heights and make the different tower views along side the path of the saved flight. You then use the saved 'flight' and do a 'Play As AI'. Whey it's loaded, you then choose 'Record' and the 'flight' will be recording with the tower views as the 'camera'. When done, you have a recording of that 'flight' with recording of what the 'tower view' was seeing (your flight). Then you play that recording and make video with FRAPS to post to YouTube or whatever. That's it.

Using Bob is difficult, as it's hard to control and not fast enough to keep up with a jet on take off. I did tweaks to Bob to make it run a speed a marathoner might run. Been years, but I could 'dig him up' and see what he can/can't do. PM me and I'll provide you with my email so we can get together via email. I am retired so I got time (I do sim 24/7).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

FSRecorder was made for what you want to do. One of the many options FSRecorder has is the ability to make several 'tower view' at different positions and heights. You slew to location and height, then from menu you 'Create Tower View at Present Spot' (or simular). I have used FSRecorder since 2007 (with FS9) and now FSX.

The way to do this is to fly your airplane (takeoff, etc as usual), making note of height 1/4 of runway, 1/2 of runway, 3/4 of runway, then 1/2 nm out. You then use 'Instant Replay' and 'Save' (a opposed to just 'Playing' it). Thus you have a 'Recording' of that saved 'Flight' which you will then Play As Ai later.

Using those notes, you slew to aprox distances (1/4, 1/2, etc) AND heights and make the different tower views along side the path of the saved flight. You then use the saved 'flight' and do a 'Play As AI'. Whey it's loaded, you then choose 'Record' and the 'flight' will be recording with the tower views as the 'camera'. When done, you have a recording of that 'flight' with recording of what the 'tower view' was seeing (your flight). Then you play that recording and make video with FRAPS to post to YouTube or whatever. That's it.

Using Bob is difficult, as it's hard to control and not fast enough to keep up with a jet on take off. I did tweaks to Bob to make it run a speed a marathoner might run. Been years, but I could 'dig him up' and see what he can/can't do. PM me and I'll provide you with my email so we can get together via email. I am retired so I got time (I do sim 24/7).

Chuck B

Napamule

This is great. I will try it tomorrow morning. Thanks! I'll let ya know how it goes.

And what would that do? The only thing you will see if you play 'it' back 'as Bob' is what you Bob can 'see', which is the virtual panel view (ie: you wouldn't 'see' the 'ship' (or, model) at all). The OP wants to watch his take off (ie: to watch the model) and not just the vc view.

Bob V1.1 works very good. I just got it and tried. The FS9 version was buggy and it crashed easy. The FSX version works perfect. Top speed is around 80 kts. And you can use the Cessna panel to have GPS so you don't get lost. Just rename the Bob panel to 'panel.orig' and copy the FSX Cessna 172 panel to Bob main folder. And if you don't want any birds chirping you can edit the sound.cfg by changing any/all sounds (even tire roll and footsteps) by using the 'silence.wav' (they provide that). Put it after the '=' sign and then put '//' to comment the original wave sounds (ie: don't delete, just comment out to keep in case you want to go back to hearing mockingbirds, etc). It's a marvelous utility that Bob.

But you NEED a joystick to steer it and to change view to sides by use of the hat switch. You can zoom in/out with '-/+'. Reset with 'backspace' key. When you want to reset to default forward view, use 'Ctrl+Spacebar'.

Another thing is you can go to observe the AI aircraft by using the FSX menu (views). All you need is the manufactuer, model and tail number. Using this you can fly alongside your 'ship' for recording without Bob (as it's an FSX feature - in Acceleration anyway).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

And what would that do? The only thing you will see if you play 'it' back 'as Bob' is what you Bob can 'see', which is the virtual panel view (ie: you wouldn't 'see' the 'ship' (or, model) at all).

Well you haven't understood, or you haven't played enough with FS Recorder. Here's one way.

(1) Record the flight you want to observe. Call this the 'target aircraft'. You have now recorded the target flight.

(2) Select any other aircraft, or the same aircraft, to chase your target aircraft with. Call this the the 'camera ship'. I find the same aircraft is usually the best to use as a camera ship, but you could use a faster one to allow you to catch up if you get left behind.

(3) Play back the recorded flight of your target aircraft as traffic and chase it with your camera ship. Record this flight, but make sure you have 'record playing traffic' off. You have now recorded the chase flight.

(4) Change your aircraft to BOB.

(5) Using FS Recorder's 'advanced play', load your target flight and your chase flight. Set the chase flight as 'user aircraft'.

(6) Play the flight. BOB now flies the recorded chase flight watching the target aircraft fly its original flight.

This works best if you have TrackIR, although it can be a bit unpredictable if you use FS Recorder to render the video. For variation, swap BOB between the target and chase planes to get alternative views.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

You can get the same views (ie: vc view) using any ac, so there is no advantage that I can see in using Bob at all. Bob works best for use when on the ground.

Quote: '..or you haven't played enough with FS Recorder'. Oh no? What do you call this (fsrecorder/fraps video)..chopped liver? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeL9yG7aJkI .

Chuck B

Napamule

Edit; FSRecorder has it's own views, which can be manipulated for all sorts of 'views'. Here is an example of a view you can't get using Bob, or TrickIr.

FSRecorder View_Seats.jpg

I knew it. You want to argue.

OF COURSE THERE ARE NO GAUGES OR PANEL BMP IN BOB'S VC VIEW. DAH. We know that. I know that. Bob was made to walk around on the ground to look at SCENERY. It was not made to fly. Bob is for WALKING. You don't NEED a panel for WALKING. Bob is great for what it does but it won't replace FSRecorder (and it's views) or TrickIR. Those are 'made for' FLYING programs. These don't 'walk' at all.

The OP wants to FLY and look/record. Bob won't do anything he wants. And the OP does not have a mouse or joystick (ie: has laptop). So he can't control Bob very well (if at all) and therefore is not going to be able to record anything viable. No matter what he uses.

Chuck B

Naamule

I don't have any trouble reading, or understanding, what you write. You said: 'I use BOB for filming'. Perhaps you have a link to a video showing the result(s) of your use of Bob. Or is it all talk?

Chuck B

Napamule

Perhaps you have a link to a video showing the result(s) of your use of Bob

Well, you might start with (appropriately enough) this one:

Most of the air-to-air shots in this are done with BOB. (Others are done with FS Recorder custom towers views.) Most of my videos are shot in the manner I described, so you can check them all out if you want.

is a good example.

P.S. Sorry if anyone saw multiple posts. The forum has been giving me errors this morning when I tried to post.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

Archived