(UK) Gift Cards In MS Marketplace/Store?

Same way as one can buy physical Steam gift cards in various UK shops and add these to your Wallet after scratching to reveal the code, wondered if it's possible to do likewise with either MS or XBox gift cards to your MS account and use the credit when buying from the store.

It's a way of saving up for the bigger purchases or a possible gift idea for relatives at birthdays and Christmas.

So just wondered if anyone has succeeded in doing this?

Vern.

Yes I have and still do. I use Microsoft Edge browser and there's a daily quiz where I'm awarded points, I also gain points just for browsing as normal. When I've earned enough points, I redeem them as a Microsoft Store or Xbox Store gift card (either will work for MSFS) and buy something in the built-in MSFS Marketplace. About 6,000 points equals a £5 gift card, and about 12,000 points equals a £10 gift card.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks Tim. If my wife was to see what I might spend outright on some of the DLC (like the PMDG titles), I'd be getting my marching orders to a mobile home (or tent)... Sneak a gift card or three on the account and that brings the price down to a level where she's less likely to exclaim, "You paid how much?!" I've been doing it with Steam for TSW stuff for a while now and it's quite handy having a bit of credit on there especially at sale time or when DTG drop a new route that takes my fancy.

Vern.

Postscript to the above... Have some funds in my XBox account, but when I go into the Marketplace to select and buy an item it's redirecting me to Steam to use that to purchase Flight Sim credit. So how on earth do I get the Steam version to recognise I have credit on my MS/Xbox account and use that instead?

Or is it possible to go in externally via the MS store rather than from in game and will any add-ons purchased that way work on the Steam version?

Vern.

Unfortunately Steam and MS/Xbox are two separate companies, it would be like trying to pay your Netflix subscription with an Amazon gift card.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

But an MS product and store nonetheless - Steam exist purely as an alternative means of purchase and copy protection jacket.

However I have since had it confirmed by the Helpdesk it is indeed correct, for the Steam version the only way is to purchase Flight Sim Credit with funds from Steam. You can't even use a debit or credit card directly. It's almost as if the two versions are divorced from each other, or at least living apart. If I was M$, money is money and once in the Marketplace you should be able to buy with whatever legitimate means you have available.

Oh well, the money I now had earmarked towards the PMDG 737 will now get spent on buying something else from the MS store, maybe Farming Simulator 22 if it goes on sale at a discount at some point.

Vern.