What's your Landing to Takeoff ratio?

Landing to Takeoff Ratio  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What's your ratio?

• 0 - 25%
    • 25 - 50%
    • 50 - 75%
    • 75 - 100%

55%. 505 Takeoffs and 278 Landings as of today.

I'm currently working on getting them equal by landing whenever I take off as well as landing on Discovery Flights. I think the large imbalance is due to (too) many FPS tuning flights and not having much time to complete a whole flight (average of 15 minutes a day, according to my logbook) .

Vote and tell us your ratio along with your list of excuses.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

• Founder

Still being new to MSFS 2020 my log shows 64 takeoffs and 82 landings so that's 128% and doesn't fit in the poll choices!

I cannot figure out how the sim decides what counts as a takeoff or landing. I've had cases where I've done a full flight, even properly using ATC, and ended up with either a takeoff or landing not being logged.

Lately I've been trying helicopters, and so far not even one takeoff or landing has been recorded even though both certainly have occurred. I don't think the sim yet understands how helicopters work.

Anyone have any insight into what the sim even considers a takeoff or landing?

2 hours ago, Nels_Anderson said:

My best guess would be a takeoff or landing which is scheduled or instructed by ATC, either IFR or VFR. I have 1977 takeoffs but only 1203 landings and my excuse is that I do a lot of test flights while tweaking FDE's - the takeoffs are automatically requested when starting on the runway, but I rarely request a landing when I'm only doing a quick circuit.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

3 hours ago, Nels_Anderson said:

Still being new to MSFS 2020 my log shows 64 takeoffs and 82 landings so that's 128% and doesn't fit in the poll choices!

I cannot figure out how the sim decides what counts as a takeoff or landing. I've had cases where I've done a full flight, even properly using ATC, and ended up with either a takeoff or landing not being logged.

Lately I've been trying helicopters, and so far not even one takeoff or landing has been recorded even though both certainly have occurred. I don't think the sim yet understands how helicopters work.

1 hour ago, tiger1962 said:

My best guess would be a takeoff or landing which is scheduled or instructed by ATC, either IFR or VFR. I have 1977 takeoffs but only 1203 landings and my excuse is that I do a lot of test flights while tweaking FDE's - the takeoffs are automatically requested when starting on the runway, but I rarely request a landing when I'm only doing a quick circuit.

I've noticed that touch-and-goes aren't counted. And sometimes, for whatever reason, a perfectly fine landing would also not count.

But I don't think the issue of missing landings are strictly ATC clearance related, because my landings on discovery flights, which don't include ATC, were counted.

Also: I remember that a particular 3rd party replay tool would make the logbook increment your landings/takeoffs if that was part of the replay. I don't know about the buil-in experimental replay tool, however.

1 hour ago, KiloWatt said:

But I don't think the issue of missing landings are strictly ATC clearance related, because my landings on discovery flights, which don't include ATC, were counted.

Discovery flights would possibly come under my generic "scheduled" flight title, because they still follow a flight plan with a destination and arrival. The log system can be very choosy though; before the first sim update you had to park at the gate or ramp assigned to you by ATC and complete a full shutdown of the aircraft to get a flight logged at all.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I remember a saying that an above-average pilot is someone who has had as many landings as takeoffs.  In my case, I have had 3668 landings to 1274 takeoffs, or nearly three times as many landings as takeoffs. I wonder if this makes me an above-average pilot or not.?  The disproportionate number of landings is because I really like flying the landing challenges.

Windows 11, GeForce GTX 1660ti; 3.60 gigahertz AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core; Kingston SA2000M81000G SSD; 16 gb RAM; CH yoke; Saitek pedals; Three monitors; TrackIR 3.

I large number of my takeoffs have been to test my settings, did a tweak here and there, VR needing to be tweaked, etc.....

Also, early on, you could do a full flight and not have it registered as a landing by the sim (that happened to me more then once), not sure HOW many of those landings I lost 🙂

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

If I fly KDAY to KMCI, in the A320, MSFS incorrectly assumes all gates are small, and won't log a successful landing and flight.

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Also worth mentioning that if Dev mode is on, nothing that you do in the sim counts. I've had it on a couple of times and then forgot to turn it off - so those landings didn't count either.