File Size??Detailed download information??

Downwind66

Since the library is no longer controlled by administrators, that kind of information now needs to be supplied for each file by the authors.  They can always put it in their descriptions.  For example, all of my complete planes now have the word "complete" in the description, along with what I call them, Base Packs.

28 minutes ago, Tom Gibson said:

Since the library is no longer controlled by administrators, that kind of information now needs to be supplied for each file by the authors.  They can always put it in their descriptions.  For example, all of my complete planes now have the word "complete" in the description, along with what I call them, Base Packs.

Exactly the point I've tried to explain to others. I've even put the actual file name in the description.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

What I like to see is an indication for what flightsim platform the add-on is applicable in the title. For instance as with Gap (LFNA) which is currently listed, you have to click on the link in order to find out for what simulator platform it is supposed. Camil Valiquette does a good job with this . . . download titles starts with FSX or else  . . .

I would like better/more filters when looking at downloads. At the moment all I get is (for instance) FSX-Aircraft but nothing more. Why couldn't this functionality stay the way it was?

And if categorising an upload is too much for the administrators, why not impose it on the uploader, before he can upload the file?

For me the value of flightsim.com has decreased markedly. Searching now takes 3 times as long and brings up a great many false hits. Newer is not better, it's a lot worse.

• Like 2

Michael, This was posted by Nels in the New Software forum and may be of interest.It is a good protocol for content creator to follow, and will help people with searching.

"As file librarian, I used just such a standard format. I once wrote up a highly detailed document on how a good file description should begin:

Template for Perfect File Description

Part 1: Title

If the file is an aircraft the title should contain the following parts in this order:

1) What flight simulator(s) the file is for
2) If it's an airliner, what airline livery
3) The name of the company that built the plane
4) The model/type of the plane
5) Additional descriptive information such as:
   a) aircraft registration numbers
   b) terms like "fleet" if multiple planes are included

Sections 2 and 5 are optional.

Examples:

FS2004 United Airlines Boeing 747-400 N747UA
	------ --------------- ------ ------- ------
	1      2               3      4       5

FSX/P3D Delta Airlines Airbus A320-200
	------- -------------- ------ --------
	1       2              3      4

X-Plane Piper PA28-181 Archer II
	------- ----- ------------------
	1       3     4

If you remember the old file library, you saw this standard format on every aircraft file. Scenery is done in a similar manner, adjusted for the different information required.

What you have to remember is you're not just writing text, you're actually putting down a whole list of tags that the search engine will use to find the file.

So further, an ideal description should include every possible term under which it might be searched. For example, airplanes often have an official name and a nickname, i.e. F-15 "Eagle". Someone looking for that plane could possibly use either of those terms in their search. You also run into cases where multiple terms are used for the same thing, i.e. "USAF" and "US Air Force" and "United States Air Force" all mean the same thing.

In scenery what I've seen lately is people won't fully describe what and where the scenery is. I.e., they will include the ICAO code for the airport, but NOT include what state or country it's in.

So now that the uploader is responsible, it's up to you to provide a description that will make your files findable by people doing reasonable searches. Hope this helps "

"

• Like 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

Hello all,

I did such a remark concerning the download pages : It wouls be much appreciated to know if the file contains only liveries or if it is a plane (eventually with complements).

It is very ennoying to have to open the link to see that it contains only liveries when I was searching a plane to add in my hangars.

Cordial salutations,

• Like 1

vieil utilisateur de FS (depuis FS1 en 1982 !!!), passé à P3DV4.5

Config : WIN10, 64 bits. AMD Ryzen 7 4,4GHz, 16G RAM, GeForce GTX1070 8G

SAITEK proflight, multipanel, radiopanel, rudder, Thrustmaster Cougar

Site : https://simu.alain-bettan.fr