Scenery objects popping up at far too close ranges

hjwalter

Hi all ye experts out there,

I'm definately an airport scenery enhancement fanatic and extensively use the EZ object placemant program to make my many addon airports/airfields look a lot less "deserted". However, many of the positioned static library objects, especially some trees/forests/apron vehicles, etc. have the nasty habit of popping up at very close and unrealistic distances to my flyable aircraft, while others become correctly visible at far greater and more realistic distances. As a result, flying "low and slow" over such airports/airfields, can sadly not be classified as "eye candy".

I've taken a good look at some of the textures involved but as far as I can see they are all "technically" mipped in the same way and have the same (DXT1) sizes. Furthermore, I have as yet no way of checking whether or not all the mipped versions of each texture are actually present and active.

Is it possible that some of my "mipped" textures are not actually mipped in the way that they should be and that this is the basic cause of my problem ?

Any ideas anyone.

Regards

Hans

When building scenery in ADE (and AFCAD) you can set the distance category for scenery to show, so it's likely the way the developer designed it. It's been a while since I did this, and a loo-o-oo-ng time since FS2004 for me, so I might have some detail wrong, but the principle remains.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I've never selected/positioned any static scenery objects via ADE or via Afcad but did try some of the standard and technically problem-free RWY12 objects but that was very long ago. Since then I've been using the EZ program to select and position the far more efficient so called "library objects" from within other addon sceneries, which are active parts of my FS9.

I have no problem with the basic disassembling of the BGL file(s) concerned and can clearly identify the texture names being called for but apart from that, the rest of the listing is un-readable. My main question is therefore as to which software can be used to fully disassemble the XML based BGL file(s) concerned and furthermore, how to edit the model data, in order to correct any mipmap-distancing errors.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hans

4 hours ago, hjwalter said:

My main question is therefore as to which software can be used to fully disassemble the XML based BGL file(s) concerned and furthermore, how to edit the model data, in order to correct any mipmap-distancing errors.

File disassembly is easily performed with BGLXML.EXE ... but editing the model data, that's a whole different ball-game!

ModelConverterX might help, but it's not an aspect I've spent any time with.

6 hours ago, hjwalter said:

the rest of the listing is un-readable. My main question is therefore as to which software can be used to fully disassemble the XML based BGL file(s) concerned and furthermore, how to edit the model data, in order to correct any mipmap-distancing errors.

Frankly, I don't know, which is why I limited my statement to the developer making this choice. I can edit the original source (not the compilation) of something I created with ADE, but I can't do the same with a .bgl file, or any scenery file that I've downloaded from someone else -- it needs the source code..

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!