MSFS TBM930 AAU1 - Garmin G3000 RNAV (LPV) Approach Tutorial - Flight Plan and Approach Plate Basics

Nels_Anderson

• Founder

laurie-doering-garmin-g3000-rnav-tutorial-msfs-2020.jpg

G3000 ACCURACY TESTED (Video 2). We fly the TBM930 into Dulles International Airport to test the precision and performance of the G3000 autopilot to execute an LPV (Localizer Performance with Vertical Guidance) approach to RWY 01C (KIAD).

The Aircraft and Avionics Update 1 (AAU1) introduced on January 31, 2023 brings Microsoft Flight Simulator to an unprecedented level. With the AAU1 update, the G3000 is now the most advanced G3000 in the personal flight simulator. We put it to the test to determine the accuracy from start to finish following an RNAV (LPV) approach!

Please consider a subscription to the channel. Very much appreciated!

(Video 1) MSFS TBM930 AAU1 - Garmin G3000 Avionics Suite Introduction and Flight Deck Overview - Video 1 - 4K https://youtu.be/sq28p3pXxfY

For more in depth information on the LPV Approach refer to this excellent video by FlightInsight "Are LPV Approaches Precision or Non-Precision?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAfkYZx03Ew&t=0s

Laurie Doering
TheFlightLevel

Why do some pilots put the destination runway in the flight plan before taking off.... is it not better to insert it when closer to the destination airport due to changing weather and runways? Just asking why that's all......

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

• Founder

Every situation will be different, but one reason I can think of is past experience flying the same route. Some airports have preferred runways, ones that will be the active runway unless something like weather prevents them from being used. In some location winds can be pretty consistent from day to day, so the pilot may just program in the "usual" runway right from the start.

20 minutes ago, Nels_Anderson said:

In some location winds can be pretty consistent from day to day

A quick review of the TAF (Terminal Area Forecast) for the four larger airports near me (TTN, EWR, WRI, PHL) show that over the next 24 hrs. the forecast winds are all from 300 to 340 degrees. Unless the destination has two closely aligned runways, the planned arrival runway would most likely not change during the time of a flight. Also, once programed into the EFIS, there is less cockpit workload, especially if single pilot.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

I haven't been around here much lately, but as I am currently studying real aviation again, I decided to drop in and read some of Nels' posts. Upon seeing this question, I thought I would share my input.

Pilots typically include the destination runway in their flight plan before takeoff for several reasons:

1. Efficiency: Having the destination runway pre-selected allows the pilots to plan their descent and approach to the airport more efficiently, reducing delays and improving overall flight time.

2. Safety: Pilots have access to real-time weather and runway condition updates throughout the flight, and they can adjust their approach and landing plans accordingly. However, having the destination runway pre-selected provides a baseline plan for the pilots to work with, which they can modify as needed based on the changing conditions.

3. Air Traffic Control: Air traffic controllers use the information in a flight plan to manage the flow of aircraft in and out of an airport. By having the destination runway pre-selected, controllers can assign the appropriate landing and taxi instructions to the arriving aircraft.

In short, while pilots may need to adjust their approach and landing plans based on changing weather and runway conditions, having the destination runway pre-selected in the flight plan provides a useful starting point for planning and communication with air traffic control.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's good to hear from you Larry! Although I'm not really back, I do drop in every thirteen years or so 🙂

To clarify, the response I wrote was part human, part machine. My original message was refined and improved using AI.  Over the past five years, I've been gaining AI experience in areas of Natural Language Processing, Voice Translation, Old Photo Restoration and Animation, Code Generation, and my favorite - Search Engines. Fortunately, I was accepted into early testing for companies like OpenAI, Microsoft, and Google. 

You can clearly see from my post, that the augmentation of AI in the formulation of the response provides a much higher probability for a concise, grammatically correct answer. However, the accuracy of the answer still finds its roots in that old technological adage that says garbage in garbage out. Meaning the original message I wrote, still had to be factually sound.