Moon mod

jgf

A recent thread on a similar topic reminded me of this.

Anyone remember an extensive payware mod from around 15 years ago that turned North America into a rendition of the moon's surface with several scattered bases and a handful of various craft to fly between them?  All was based on NASA predictions from the sixties of what such colonies would be like.  The craft were built on helicopter physics modified greatly for gravity and inertia, controlled by vectored thrust and braking retrorockets.

My copy was lost to a massive system crash years ago and my CD backup is old and useless.  A recent online search divulged no mention at all, only graphics mods for the default moon.

That sounds so interesting..

The only 'Space" mod I've seen is thefreeware scenery from Carl Reddin.

It simulates a space flight environment. 180 km diameter flattened sphere, with star fields, astroids, space stations etc.

From Flightsim.com   GPDS_UD.zip

I have a bunch of spaceships for it as well. 

PM for more info..

Cheers, Robin

A quick chatGPT turned out it (no time now to confirm it...)

I believe the add-on you are referring to is called "Virtual Moon" for FS2004. It was created by Visual Simulation Systems, a company that specialized in creating add-ons for flight simulators.

The "Virtual Moon" add-on allowed users to fly over a detailed 3D model of the moon's surface, which was created using data from NASA. It also replaced the terrain in North America with a lunar surface, giving the impression that you were flying over the moon.

Unfortunately, Visual Simulation Systems is no longer in business and their website is no longer active. However, there are still some references to the "Virtual Moon" add-on online, including a few YouTube videos that showcase the add-on in action. It's possible that you may be able to find a copy of the add-on through a third-party seller or on a flight simulator forum.

Joao Paz

Alaskan Winds, L'Air Azur

On 2/16/2023 at 8:35 AM, joaopaz said:

From the screenshots that looks like the one I remember, though I don't recall the lunar rover (maybe it's new), and there were at least three flyable vehicles, not just the "moonhopper" (one was a larger, two man, vessel with enclosed cockpit;  a cargo hauler, I believe).  Thanks!

23 hours ago, jgf said:

BTW, I posted this in another thread, you may find it interesting.  Dock the shuttle to the ISS.

https://iss-sim.spacex.com/

I spent a few good hours there maybe a year ago 🙂 Funny how such a slooooow thing can be so immersive. So contrary to modern day speeds... or maybe because of that, exactly! Thanks ffor the reminder!

Joao Paz

Well, thanks everyone... that SpaceX Dragon Sim is the BOMB! Looks like a great way to blow some time!

Now... if there was a Soyuz Docking Sim that would be perfect! 🙂

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

20 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Well, thanks everyone... that SpaceX Dragon Sim is the BOMB! Looks like a great way to blow some time!

Now... if there was a Soyuz Docking Sim that would be perfect! 🙂

Yeah that was fun. Well, it was once I figured out what controls did what. I went from a catastrophic attempt to some nice smooth dockings. Even with my cat walking all over the keyboard trying to get a close up view of my attempt.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JSMR said:

Even with my cat walking all over the keyboard

You too!?! 😸

• Like 2

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

11 hours ago, JSMR said:

Yeah that was fun. Well, it was once I figured out what controls did what. I went from a catastrophic attempt to some nice smooth dockings. Even with my cat walking all over the keyboard trying to get a close up view of my attempt.  

10 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

You too!?! 😸

+1 cat for the roster 🙂 Mine is an expert in finding the most obscure FS key assignments! 

• Haha 1

Joao Paz

6 hours ago, jgf said:

Anyone ever try the Kerbal Space program?

New version in a couple of days - https://store.privatedivision.com/game/kerbal-space-program-2

Never tried it but always read great things about it. Do you have experience with it?

I was always put off a bit by the funny characters but KS always pops up in the best space sim lists...

Joao Paz

Don't have it but a friend does.  I was initially put off by the cartoonish "kerbals", but everything else is quite realistic, including physics.  It is a combination of management, strategy, and space flight as you design, build and test various vehicles;  some work, some don't, eventually you make it into space and explore their solar system;  if you're persistent you develop FTL drives and head out to other galaxies.

• Like 1

If you are looking for an space flight simulation based on physics then Orbiter Spaceflight Simulator might be worth to take a look at http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/index.html.

Unfortunately it seems development ceased with the 2016 version. It provides an open architecture so there are tons of free add-ons available. So you can re-create historic missions, like Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Mir, Vostok, Voshod, Soyuz as well as the Space Shuttle and ISS programmes.