Edit scenery area

ColR1948

I've lost touch with some of this, I get this error when starting FS9, I can find the folder FSGSE in the main scenery but when I look to find AREA 39 it isn't showing anywhere, it asks for a few more areas as well after I click OK.

I need pointing in the right direction, I will kick myself when someone tells me, I should know all this lol.

Col

fsgse error.jpg

The areas are in your scenery.cfg in the root FS folder, as:

[Area.040]
Title=EZ Objects
Layer=40
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Local=Addon Scenery\ezobjects
Remote=

[Area.041]
Title=Flightport Libraries
Layer=41
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Local=Addon Scenery\Flightport_Gmax_Lib
Remote=

"Local=" is the path where FS is looking for that scenery;  if the scenery has been moved, deleted, or renamed it naturally will not be found.   It is a good idea to periodically backup the cfg file as it can become corrupted and cause all sorts of mayhem.

SceneryConfigEditor is a nice utility which allows complete editing of the cfg file outside the sim;  it also allows creation of groups of scenery which can be enabled/disabled together.

FWIW, most scenery can be placed anywhere on your system (a few require installation to "Addon Scenery"), so placing the majority in a folder on another drive can make the sim more efficeint - one drive reads/loads FS9 itself while the other reads/loads scenery.

I do not use the scenery Library in FS to add new scenery. Instead I add it directly to scenery.cfg file. 

• Add the new folder with (scenery and texture subfolders) to Addon Scenery folder.
  • Open scenery.cfg text file and add new scenery to the bottom (usually copy the last one already there). Change the [Area.xxx] with next number. And change the Layer to the next number.
  • Add the new area folder path to Title= and Local=
  • Works all the time

My last two areas:

[Area.923]
Title=UTTT Taskent
Local=Addon Scenery\UTTT Taskent
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=923
Remote=

///Added:

[Area.924]
Title=UTDD Dushanbe
Local=Addon Scenery\UTDD Dushanbe
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=924
Remote=

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

25 minutes ago, beroun said:

add it directly to scenery.cfg file

Interesting approach. Will give this a try. Is there any specific advantage to this method, loading time, etc?

Seems pretty straight forward otherwise.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

13 hours ago, ColR1948 said:

Thanks Chris it is FSGlobal scenery, where is the scenery cfg, I haven't been on FS for ages my mind has gone mate?

In the FDGSE in AFR folder all the files are numbered like A5S2208.bgl and so on.

Col.

My scenery.cfg is in C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9 ... you'll need to edit the path to suit your install 😉 

17 hours ago, beroun said:

The Scenery.cfg file, I am talking about, is in the Main FS9 (FS2004) folder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The one in  the C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9 takes info from it.

Everyone can once be wrong! One exclamation mark might even then be enough.

Bernard