GNS 530 help needed

I am flying the stock C172 Steam version, and am loving it.  Prior to the update, I was able to see on my GPS how far I was from the waypoint (included a screenshot).

Now, it is gone.  Thought it might be the GNC 530 mod providing it (not sure??)  If not, I would like it have it back, yes, I know I can click on FPL and get the same information 🙂  however, it is a bit harder to view.

0017.jpg

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Something interesting to add, it appears I have an older version of the Working Title GNS430/530, which I am not sure how to delete.

Not sure if this is causing my problem, but I would like to delete the older version (yes, I am going to install the newer one, lol)

See attached image.

0019.jpg

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

The 7.73mb one can't be deleted; the 28.96kb one is a tiny piece of code which re-directs aircraft using the default Asobo GNS430/530 to the Working Title GNS430/530.

I had to delete this 28.96kb file because it stopped the autopilots in other aircraft from following flightplans - including the default Longitude - I re-installed the PMS50 GNS530 which still works perfectly well, plays nice with all other aircraft and has a working weather radar screen too.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

So, If I have read this correctly, get rid of the very small file, go with the mod from Flightsim.to?

Yes that's right.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

1 hour ago, tiger1962 said:

Yes that's right.

Just tried it, still not showing the distance to the next waypoint.  Wonder if it is because I am checking while on the ground?  Would not think that would matter though, distance is distance even at sea level or 2,000 agl

I think you need to be on the first screen (or page) of the PMS50 GNS530 display to show the distance field, this is it in the C172 Classic:

spacer.png

HI Tim, you are correct.  Here is my screen.  Not sure how to fix it 😞   not willing to reload MSFS, it works for other AC (3rd party) just not the C172 Classic.  Which I have uninstalled and reinstalled.  

0020.jpg

• Founder

Have you guys noticed that you are on different nav pages? Tim is on page 1 while David is on page 2. Look at the little white blocks next to NAV at the bottom of the GPS screen and you can see this...

Also, have you tried using MENU? On some nav pages you can set what things are being displayed. I recently changed the setup in the GNS 430 that I'm using in the new Carenado PA28-181 Archer to more suit my preferences, and was pleased to see the changes were persistent from flight to flight.

5 minutes ago, Nels_Anderson said:

Have you guys noticed that you are on different nav pages? Tim is on page 1 while David is on page 2. Look at the little white blocks next to NAV at the bottom of the GPS screen and you can see this...

Also, have you tried using MENU? On some nav pages you can set what things are being displayed. I recently changed the setup in the GNS 430 that I'm using in the new Carenado PA28-181 Archer to more suit my preferences, and was pleased to see the changes were persistent from flight to flight.

Thank you both!!!!

That was the problem 🙂

As my dad would have said, if that was a snake it would have bitten you!!!!

Warning: Purist/simplistic answer being posted...

What's a sophisticated Garmen system doing in a 172?

Want to know distance to a waypoint? Break out your E6B and determine it based on your calculated ground speed/airspeed/winds etc.

The E6B used to fill time in the cockpit when not looking out the windows.

I have a friend who has a G1000 in his 172, when asked what he fly's his answer is "A G1000" not "A Cessna 172."

Interesting evolution in general aviation.

• Like 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

• Founder
38 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Warning: Purist/simplistic answer being posted...

What's a sophisticated Garmen system doing in a 172?

A GNS 430 or 530 is not a particularly sophisticated system these days. The GNS 430 dates back to 1997 so this is really pretty old technology we're talking about here.

So in flightsim terms, these units date back to when we were using FS98!

25 minutes ago, Nels_Anderson said:

not a particularly sophisticated system

So true Nels, I'm just a stick and rudder guy in smaller aircraft,

The comment was directed towards advance electronics in a 172, not the Garmin system itself.

I also fully appreciated the Collins FMS in the C-12R (got me across the Atlantic).

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.