Hello guys, I'm needing your help...

This morning I bought the AMD Fx 8350, and I was so excited for that... til' a problem in FSX (and some other games) dissapointed me really hard...

FPS is going down constantly, especifically from 25-30 to 5 for few seconds, it heppens every 10-15 seconds... I already used CCleaner to clean my PC, but it didnt work... also, I already tried to fix it changing my affinitymask from 254 to 84, LOD from 5.5 to 4.5, turned down FSX Settings, and some other things, that were useless...

I really need your help, because I want to enjoy my new processor and my flight sim... I spent all the money I earned, and I wont see it in the trash cause of this problem.

Regards :)

I'd rename fsx.cfg as a backup and try a fresh new fsx.cfg for starters.

Affinity mask with the 8 cores, 254 should be OK.

How are CPU temps when running FSX? Within normal specs and not throttling down?

What video are you using? Fans on it OK?

That CPU should be able to run FSX OK, so if it's not, something is wrong somewhere..

Also.. don't use unlimited frame rate within FSX, or at least until things are stable and

you can compare on a normal running sim. Unlimited can cause stuttering in some cases.

Power supply up to par? etc.. Many things could cause problems.. And if it does it in

other programs other than FSX, it's most likely not FSX itself.

Temps are bad I guess... board is 60~ and CPU is 50~, I already did that fsx.cfg thing, and same thing, limited FPS didnt fix the problem neither, and it's on most of the games I ahve like World of Tanks, War Thunder... My GPU is a GTX 750 ti

You just bought the PC? Did you do update of the MB chip set (Bios update)? Did you update the GPU drivers (especially if you had it before working off a different CPU).

I believe you might have too many PROCESSES running in the background. The 'every 10 or 15 seconds suggests a process is updating itself and robbing you of ram and CPU bandwidth. Shut down un-needed processes. Google 'process manager', and to 'see' what is running get a Process Monitor program.

Make sure you set your monitor AND FSX to the same resolution (ie: monitor's native resolution). You say '60 C' on card. Well that is 'Low End' hot, with '69 C' being FRIED as fans won't keep up. At 100% load that could be '70 C' and that ain't good. Average should be 40 C to 55 C for GPU. I would consider '50 C' for the CPU as being close to being TOO hot (with life shortened if working all day at '66 C'-ouch).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Another common problem for those adding a graphics card to an on-board graphics machine is the failure to completely disable to old card. This may require you visit the bios and disable it there in addition to visiting the Device Manager and disabling the on-board graphics adapter there also. Windows will still divert some resources to the old card until this is accomplished. This is what's known as a "ghost driver." problem.

Another misconception is believing adding a powerful GCard will solve their problems caused by an underpowered CPU. Depending on your CPU, I would not get too excited about the heat you are seeing until you get unexpected crashes and blue screens. Your MB will shut down your computer in an over-heat situation.

It is likely though the heat added by the card is pushing you closer to the edge if you also did not add case cooling when you added the card.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

With a new cpu or ram for sure, but probably with installing a new graphics card also, it is a good idea to reset the bios completely (using the switch on the mainboard) after installing the new hardware.

Make sure you Disconnect the Power before going inside the case!!

Then when booting, go into the bios menu and set everything up again.

(to make sure I remember what the bios settings were, I sometimes take some pictures of the bios screens with a handheld camera, before going through the procedure).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I thought there was some advantage to using the switch or jumper on the mainboard. discharging last remaining current on mainboard or something. Read that here and there.

But it may be old wives tales...:confused:

I'll stick to doing it though, it's worked for me.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Jumper controlled bios features are no longer needed on modern PCs and are the last resort. It's likely you'll not even find these anymore on many boards.

Bios flash memory is extremely reliable now days and the size of the memory permits a feature rich set loaded with smart automation.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

So the clear CMOS jumper is no more, I had no idea.

It seems my 1.5 year old z77x pc is not as modern as I thought. It still has the CLRCMOS jumper. (and dual bios, which I'm very happy with.)

To be honest, the Z87 was out by then too... I chose z77 because it was more tried and tested.

If / when I start thinking about putting together a new box I'll keep it in mind, thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My system is the next, I think that you need this info:

AMD Fx 8350

ASUS M5A78L-M LX3

GTX 750 ti

8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz

450watts power supply that came with my Thermaltake v2 plus case.

This is a 1 year old build, (processor is new) I have everything updated, I already modified my BIOS turning off Core6 State, Turbo function, and Cool'n'Quiet, but it just worked for a day (yesterday) today when I tested the PC again, lag spikes attacked again.

I don't play with any app running, only FSX, and google chrome for some minutes :|

FranzR,

How long have you been using FSX on this machine?

Integrated ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 3000 GPU

VGA output support : RGB port

- Supports RGB with max. resolution 2048 x 1536 @ 75 Hz

Maximum shared memory of 1024 MB

Hybrid CrossFireXâ„¢ Support

Supports DirectX 10.1

Your specs indicate your MB has on-board graphics, but you did not inform us if you disabled it as suggested.

You also did not inform us of your CPU clock speed which is important for us to know.

Added:

I did not do any research on these video adapters, but have you considered the possibility you might have DOWNGRADED your machine?

If after verifying the new card is actually better, and disabling the old adapter in bios and device manager, if you do not get an improvement, then you might have set your FSX graphics options too high. Back them down until the lowest the frames go is 10 instead of 5 using a frame lock of 30.

-Pv-

A new video card is 'hardware' and the CMOS (which deals with 'hardware') needs to be reset (cleared). IF you have your MB manual, look for it in there as otherwise you might find it by by just looking at the MB (being there-done that).

If you turn off you computer, and wait 30 seconds before you unplug it, any 'stray' current would have been drained by then. Some 'charge' may still be there, but it would be voltage and not current. It's the current that KILLS you, not the voltage. Then use only plastic or insulated tools and don't touch anything with both hands-use one hand only in case you do touch any circuit part that may have a charge.

Make sure you restart you PC after any/all changes. That includes CMOS, BIOS, and or any hardware changes. No re-boots and all bets are off.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

The onboard vid can be disabled in the bios without clearing it or opening up the PC or shutting off the computer or risking static charge or electrocution or anything else.

IL88,

The jumper on the MB to reset the bios still exists on many MBs, but is a fallback. Most bioses including yours lets you reset it right in the bios software itself. A lot less painless and risky.

-Pv-

Actually, I've been using FSX since I bought it with the old Fx 4350...

I havent downgraded it, and the only thing I did to this was:

Adding 4 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Changing Fx 4350 for Fx 8350, nothing else.

I also felt the lag spikes the last days I used the Fx 4350, before buying the Fx 8350, so I thought that upgrading it, lag spikes would disappear

• 1 year later...

Archived