4GB Patch

beroun

Hi,

Just came across some posts abour 4GB patch being used for FS2004. Never heard of it but sounds promissing. Any advise on its benefits (if any) and if OK. what is the best way to download it?

Thanks

An oldie but a goodie and vital for us running heavy drawing scenery and other add-ons etc which could/would result in an OOM.

https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371

Thanks Gents,

Have downloaded the Patch and unzipped it to .exe file. Clicking exe just opens another window and I do not know how to associate it (execute) with FS9.exe. Any clue appreciated.

Many Thanks

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

You just double click the 4gb_patch.exe file and it'll automatically path your fs9.exe. Press OK and that's that.

If you wanna know for sure your FS9.exe is patched, then follow these steps.

1) Download a file hash generator utility that computes file hashes like MD5, SHA256, etc. [HashCalc will work for this.

2) In HashCalc check off SHA256.

3) Copy/paste the fs9.exe file to the desktop and drag and drop it over HashCalc.

4) If your SHA256 hash matches mine you're patched.

87cac9247c0f1eab1ce55386eef94be68d6b0a3091bedf328a93670b0498a2ac

Hi Aaron,

I mUst be doing something wrong. Clicking 4gb_patch.exe juat opens another window called Select Executable with 4gb_patch.exe in it also. When clicking exe again the message pops up "Could not open executable"? I also downloaded the Hash calculator and my path is 1d54d424526a7476b5e9bb0642dd982ca03d27968794f5dc264b9d950afe7281

So obviously not patched.

Any clue?

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Peter, "select executable" means the .exe file that you want to be patched - this 4gp_patch.exe can be applied to any program's .exe file, not just FS9 - so in the Select Executable window, you need to navigate to your FS9.exe file which the patch file will recognise and patch for you.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks Tim,

how silly of me!

Looks like I am now patched with Hash Calcurator showing fs9.exe:

b3e404c7a6bc49d72a57f3a0f6411afd83da01e0d338786cc15f8350885011fa

ths is different from what it was showing in my system before so the change must have taken place.

Also my fs9.exe properties show mod today.

But Hash calculator is not showing what Aaron is showing (below) as what the figure should be:

So I guess OK anyway.

Edited by beroun

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Once again, another insightful, thoughtful, relevant, encouraging comment from J Skorna. You should write a book!

To be honest, there are very few circumstances in FS9 where that specific comment from Jim is going to be wrong.

Here's UK2000 Extreme EGLL with 407 AI mostly with 32 bit textures, dusk lighting, thunderstorms and FS9 sliders at max.

1.6 GB working set. There's still plenty of overhead for anything else that may crop up.

The large address aware patch is nice to have but it's very rarely going to be necessary - perhaps if you leave long haul flights running while you're at work and have a memory leak, but that's about all.

D

egll dusk storm.jpg

Edited by defaid

I could write a book on Jim’s incorrect statements over the last couple decades here and at **sim. So let’s not beat around the bush when it comes to his dumb comments.

‘Rarely going to be necessary?’??

It was the only way for me and many, many, many others to complete flights with HD scenery, airports, ground textures, trees, add-ons and 100% maxed out AI.

Funny to see my question so elaborately analised.

Yes FS9 tends to be a science. I am now patched and feel good about it. That is enough. As for the difference? Did not see any but only the time will tell.:)

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Yes FS9 tends to be a science. I am now patched and feel good about it. That is enough. As for the difference? Did not see any but only the time will tell.:)

With enough Scotch, and the 4GB patch, around midnight, you’ll see phenomenon not seen before. :p

To be honest, there are very few circumstances in FS9 where that specific comment from Jim is going to be wrong.

Here's UK2000 Extreme EGLL with 407 AI mostly with 32 bit textures, dusk lighting, thunderstorms and FS9 sliders at max.

1.6 GB working set. There's still plenty of overhead for anything else that may crop up.

The large address aware patch is nice to have but it's very rarely going to be necessary - perhaps if you leave long haul flights running while you're at work and have a memory leak, but that's about all.

D

I reckon if I tried hard enough, I could bring on an OOM with default FS9.

If I didn't run the patch in my installation with add-ons, I'd have OOM's all the time.

Most who are still using FS9 today run very simple add-ons.

For this reason, they never experience many problems with FS9, not OOM's or anything else.

FS9 has many running issues particularly under Windows 10.

I've found many of the issues that affected me and eliminated most of them.

That I can read these forums and not see any complaints of the things I've come across, confirms the type of installations FS9 users must be running.

No, it's not that I do not know what I am doing or it is just my system. These are things that do affect every user.

Mark Daniels

Thanks Tim,

how silly of me!

Looks like I am now patched with Hash Calcurator showing fs9.exe:

b3e404c7a6bc49d72a57f3a0f6411afd83da01e0d338786cc15f8350885011fa

ths is different from what it was showing in my system before so the change must have taken place.

Also my fs9.exe properties show mod today.

But Hash calculator is not showing what Aaron is showing (below) as what the figure should be:

So I guess OK anyway.

Does your properties of FS9.exe match mine? I believe I installed a service pack or two. Been a while.

rfedhb.jpg

If you wanna know what the true difference can be read my link in my Sig on OOMs. That's all you'll gain, really. The ability to keep more add-ons and whatnot loaded in the Sim as you fly without using more than 4GB of RAM. It's not so much a performance improvement per say. It's more for utility. Make sense? Well, read the article first and if you have questions ask.

So let’s not beat around the bush when it comes to his dumb comments.

‘Rarely going to be necessary?’??

Don't let bad people turn you into a bad person, particularly as I'd already indicated that the patch has a use.

You could convince me of its wider application by posting a genuine screenshot of your FS9.exe using more than 2 GB of your RAM. Otherwise, I stand by what I wrote and by what Jim implied. I don't agree with the way he wrote it but if you remember his Avsim days then you ought by now to be able to take his approach with a little salt.

D

Don't let bad people turn you into a bad person, particularly as I'd already indicated that the patch has a use.

You could convince me of its wider application by posting a genuine screenshot of your FS9.exe using more than 2 GB of your RAM. Otherwise, I stand by what I wrote and by what Jim implied. I don't agree with the way he wrote it but if you remember his Avsim days then you ought by now to be able to take his approach with a little salt.

D

Well all the ladies say I'm a bad boy, so I'm just playing out that life. :D

Anyway, its the VAS that is the key as CRJ posted with the link. And true, a bad scenery file will mean a memory leak. Had that at even a VERY basic freeware NFFN I downloaded and even WITH the 4gb patch. A little tweak and it was gone.

But with all the payware mods, high res scenery etc etc, VAS would often exceed the 2GB limit as Mark mentioned. Didnt take much.

And not salty. Just pouring sugar on top.. Jim loves it. And he knows it. :)

Hi Aaron,

This is how my fs9.cfg properties look (after I installed the 4G patch)[ATTACH=CONFIG]231925[/ATTACH]

Well what the heck, looks like I never patched from the get go. Also, my FS9.exe is a different version than yours. So my hash value certainly won't match yours or anyone else's. Even after I patched. My version is just different. Could have sworn I updated FS2004 as well. I need to check that sometime. I haven't flown in FS2004 in quite some time so that's why I must have thought it was already patched.

BTW - I believe that patcher will work with other executables that don't utilize 4 GB of RAM. A year or two ago I read all about this and it has something to do with just setting "the flag", but I don't remember all the fine grain details of the patch.