Best VR headset. and Daher throttle problem.

Does anyone know a decent headset for MSFS ? I don't want to spend over £300, (which is about $350 I think).

Also, my Daher throttle stopped working. I can only control the throttle with the big red lever in the cockpit. I've tried starting a new flight, won't work. ALL my other aircraft work fine (Saitek X52 system).

Thanks.

Hi,

my first choice would be the Reverb G2, but you’re talking nearly £600

My second choice would be the Oculus Quest 2. Many on this forum use that for MSFS & love it… but it’s £399

I don’t think you’ll get a decent headset for less than that unless you get a used or refurbished one.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Many thanks for that. I went into Currys PC World tonight to try one on. But they said it was affixed to the stand and I couldn't. I worry that I might buy one and not get along with it at all. And I wear glasses. How would that work. I aren't doing it at the moment.

I’ve no experience with the Daher throttle I’m afraid. Hopefully someone else will be able to help with that.

As for the headset.. I own the Reverb G2..the Oculus Quest 1 and the Oculus Quest 2 (plus I used to have the Oculus Rift CV1) I wear glasses all the time and have never had any issues. But.. it all depends on the size of your frames I suppose. I purposely try to not go for great big ones. In fact, in the days of my Rift, I bought an additional pair of glasses. They had the cheapest, smallest plastic frames available… bought especially for when I’m using the headset. I haven’t bothered to do this since though.. just used my normal glasses. Another option is to get prescription insert lenses that actually fit inside your headset. I’ve never tried these myself but many others here have.

It’s a pity Currys wouldn’t let you try one. Although the Reverb G2 is probably a better headset for MSFS, the Quest 2 is a good all rounder. You can connect it to your pc for flight sim, or use it on its own ( wirelessly) for other things. Some even use it wirelessly with MSFS, although I’ve never really managed that myself. One other thing.. to fly with VR uses a bit more computing power as you might expect. It might be a good idea to add your pc specs to your signature, or post them here if not

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

As others have written, wearing glasses is not an issue with a VR controller. Like Steve wrote though, the frames "might". I wear my regular glasses with my Reverb and I LOVE IT!!!!!! Even my wife (who could care less about simming, lol) thought the VR experience was incredible!
Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

I recently had cataract surgery on my left eye in April of this year. I had cataract surgery on my right eye a year or so ago. I use the HP Reverb G2 headset also. My left eye sees perfect but my right eye sight has deteriorated slightly and needs a corrective lens. I just recieved my lens inserts for my G2 yesterday. The left one is a Plano lens (no prescription, just a protective lens) and my right insert is a prescription lens. I tried them out after installing them onto the headset and I can't believe how well they work. No glasses necessary. It used to be a bit fuzzy on the right side in VR but now things are perfect. The lenses cost $65 US plus shipping. You can get corrective lens inserts for most VR headsets if you don't want the discomfort of wearing glasses with the headset on. The inserts were a minor purchase ($65) compared to the money spent on the VR Headset ($600) but I would highly recommend them as well as a Reverb G2 Headset. Edited by kevinfolsom

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

When I turn it on, the street lights go dim.

LOL :)

It’s probably still a good idea to post your pc specs. Your son will know them I’m sure.

Regards

Steve

...my Daher throttle stopped working. I can only control the throttle with the big red lever in the cockpit. I've tried starting a new flight, won't work. ALL my other aircraft work fine (Saitek X52 system).

Thanks.

Are you referring to the Daher TBM 930 or the Daher Kodiak 100? I have the Logitech (Saitek) throttle quadrant. I've run into a throttle problem with it seemingly malfunctioning in the Kodiak. I think it may have something to do with liveries. For example, I recently tried to take off in a Kodiak with a yellow and blue livery and when I pushed the Logitech throttle forward, couldn't do more than taxi. But when I switched to the default livery, I no longer had a problem.

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Does anyone know a decent headset for MSFS ? I don't want to spend over £300, (which is about $350 I think).

Also, my Daher throttle stopped working. I can only control the throttle with the big red lever in the cockpit. I've tried starting a new flight, won't work. ALL my other aircraft work fine (Saitek X52 system).

Thanks.

I am using the Oculus Quest2 and found the glasses issue a little annoying so bought the cheap lenses that attach with magnets to the original lenses--they really do work, just send a few bucks and an exact prescription, now headaches free VR and it really does open up a whole new world of FLightsim flying mainly in the VFR areas. I find it annoying not being able to access ATC commands from within VR so stay on VFR flights but it is amazing there. The Oculus Quest2 is very close to your budget.

Windows 11 MB MSI X-570 -A Pro, CPU--AMD Ryzen 5-5600 3.7 GHz, 6 core, 16G Ram, DDR 3600 MHz AMD Radeon 6800 Graphics card.

Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, Saitek Autopilot and Switch panel, Echo (Arduino build) autopilot and controller, Saitek Rudder pedals. 3 Monitors.

Oculus Rift 2 Virtual Reality headset.

I find it annoying not being able to access ATC commands.

You should still be able to get the ATC in VR (I do, although I don’t use it much)

If the problem is that you can’t get the toolbar to appear, then you need to assign a key so that it does. On mine for instance, I press the spacebar for the toolbar, which is easy to find when I’ve got the headset on.

Regards

Steve

I would not buy a quest 2 until the new one is released in October.... It will most likely cost more but it's more likely to give more bang for the buck...... the best VR for this sim at the moment is the G3.....

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

“ the best VR for this sim at the moment is the G3.....”.

Presumably you mean G2? You made me panic for a moment & googled to see if there was a newer reverb out :)

Regards

Steve

“ the best VR for this sim at the moment is the G3.....”.

Presumably you mean G2? You made me panic for a moment & googled to see if there was a newer reverb out :)

Regards

Steve

oOps sorry about that G2!

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

You should still be able to get the ATC in VR (I do, although I don’t use it much)

If the problem is that you can’t get the toolbar to appear, then you need to assign a key so that it does. On mine for instance, I press the spacebar for the toolbar, which is easy to find when I’ve got the headset on.

Regards

Steve

Thanks Steve, good tip, even IFR in VR is amazing.

Windows 11 MB MSI X-570 -A Pro, CPU--AMD Ryzen 5-5600 3.7 GHz, 6 core, 16G Ram, DDR 3600 MHz AMD Radeon 6800 Graphics card.

Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, Saitek Autopilot and Switch panel, Echo (Arduino build) autopilot and controller, Saitek Rudder pedals. 3 Monitors.

Don't forget the originator of this thread had a budget, the G2 is way more expensive than the Quest2 and the Quest3 is not going to offer a lot more if you check the specs. The only one close to his budget is the Quest2

FWIW I appreciate that the OP is interested in quality 'low-cost' VR, which might be an oxymoron? I can only say that I am VERY pleased with the performance of my GrassMonkey Odyssey King IR head tracking unit. Great head motion tracking, no worries about eyewear, use your mouse and keyboard with ease and it adds a lot to immersion in the sim.

https://grassmonkeysimulations.com/product/monkey-king-odyssey-ir-bundle/

NO it ISN'T a true Virtual Reality experience by any means, true VR is fantastic I am lead to believe, but the Odyssey also 'only' costs $120. Great customer service and assistance too.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx