Miss Molly and the Sundowners

Here are some shots of a Grumman F14A "Tomcat" in the colorful livery of the Fighter Squadron (VF) 111 "Sundowners." The airplane is on a flight from Oceana Naval Air Station (KNTU) in Virginia Beach down to Jacksonville Naval Air Station (KNIP) in Florida.

Cleared for takeoff at Oceana.

F1.jpg

Airborne and climbing out in "Miss Molly."

F2.jpg

F3.jpg

On approach to Runway 10 at Navy Jax.

F5.jpg

Touchdown with spoilers and spreedbrakes deployed.

F6.jpg

Parking on the ramp.

F7.jpg

Shut down and ready to exit the airplane. Check out the second shot. Is it just me or does it look like it would take some tricky maneuvering to get out of the rear RIO cockpit underneath the low clearance canopy edge and then onto the step and then the ladder? :confused:

F8.jpg

F9.jpg

Edited by BillD22

A good flight and fine shots of your Tomcat Bill. :cool: I thought there was a restriction that limits a rear seater to 5 feet tall or less. :D

Thanks Larry - probably is a 5 foot restriction but most likely its the minmum you can be to be an aviator - have to be able to see over panels, reach things, etc. ;)

Still looks to me like you need some Houdini type contortions to get out of the rear cockpit by dodging under the canopy edge and then getting one or both legs over the side and a foot on the step and then over to the ladder to get down to the tarmac ;) Any ex F14 RIOs out there?

Captain Dien: "OK - How the heck do I get out of this cockpit?" ;);)

RIO.jpg

Edited by BillD22

I'm not an ex-F14 RIO, but I was an ex-F-14 engine mechanic and did work on the 14 for 8 years. To get out of the backseat, you'd back your way out, using one leg to step on the little drop down step, then your other leg to step over to the top rung of the ladder next to the step. It was a bear to get in and out of the plane, for sure.

BTW, I was stationed at Miramar when VF-111 painted this CAG bird up with the "Miss Molly" markings. Caught everyone's eye when it would taxi for takeoff and taxi back to Hangar 3 when she returned. A real beauty paint job for sure!!!!

I'm not an ex-F14 RIO, but I was an ex-F-14 engine mechanic and did work on the 14 for 8 years. To get out of the backseat, you'd back your way out, using one leg to step on the little drop down step, then your other leg to step over to the top rung of the ladder next to the step. It was a bear to get in and out of the plane, for sure.

BTW, I was stationed at Miramar when VF-111 painted this CAG bird up with the "Miss Molly" markings. Caught everyone's eye when it would taxi for takeoff and taxi back to Hangar 3 when she returned. A real beauty paint job for sure!!!!

David - many thanks for clearing this up & the interesting Miss Molly background!