Best new monitor for a Nvidia GTX970 card ? For FSX and PREPAR3D.

Hi Everyone,

I've just bought a new computer specifically to use FSX and PREPAR3D for flight training.

The specs are : Intel Core i5 4690K@ 4.4GHz , 8GB PC3 RAM 2133MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX970, and Windows 8.1.

Now I need to pick a monitor.

I am thinking of an Acer G-sync monitor? like the XB270HU, to take advantage of the Nvidia G-sync? Is this needed for flight sims?

Or is a 34" 21:9 ratio monitor better? Like the LG34UM67 ?

Or is 4K recommended ? Being able to read the Airbus A320 instruments clearly is required.

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks.

I really like my 4k monitor-- P3D looks great, nice views on a single monitor--but if I was buying now I think I'd go with something basic and see what happens in VR in the next year or so. Otherwise personally I prefer size: before I got the 58" set I used a 40" 1080p set. I haven't noticed any tearing in P3D but if you are sensitive to that it might be good to go with g-sync if you're sure you want to stay with NVIDIA cards and if you might branch out to other games in the future.

Panasonic aux (last year's model that has display port for 60Hz, though with newer graphics cards getting HDMI 2 that's less important) great TV. I have an x99 rampage V with a 5830K running at speed step of 3.7 (I'll be over clocking soon). 16GB DDR-4 @2166. I've locked my FPS at 30 and I keep moving the sliders up and have yet to see any effect at all on FPS. SSD for max through put (I have my eye on the pcie x4 super fast SSDs with NVMe, a bit too pricy now though). I have a couple of 4GB 770's in SLI and have forced P3D to SLI mode though there are rumors NVidia may finally do a P3D profile in the next 2-3 months.

I don't know about other sims, but it just seems to me I see the most complaints about tearing in relation to FPS type games: of course a lot of people are trying to drive those at very high FPS/refresh rates, I'm personally not too worried about FPS as long as it hits 30FPs or so...though it will be very important in VR.

Archived