Once upon a time Chicago had a lakefront airport ...

A native Chicagoan, I've gone back to the future in MSFS (well to the MSFS Marketplace, anyway) to resurrect Chicago's Merrill C. Meigs Field.

Meigs Field.jpg

NOTAM: Meigs will not automatically appear in the sim after you download it. You must exit out of MSFS after the download and restart it. Thereafter, this iconic airport will appear in all its glory.

I posted a short video about Meigs' history

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

same here. I fly out of it with some regularity. Mayor Daley was a putz to tear it up.

I often fly out of Midway Airport too.... since I live just 2 miles from there.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

I grew up on the "Norside" (Near-North, Lakeview, and Uptown). I loved to see planes taking off and landing there whenever I was in the vicinity of the Shedd Aquarium or the Adler Planetarium. The developer did a nice job with this add-on. I wish we could still get charts for Meigs. The old MSFS always launched at Meigs back in the day, unless you set some other default airport (which I never did). MSFS didn't have a World Map back then. I took off from Midway (RWY 31C) twice for the short hop to the lakefront to record this video.
HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

I grew up on the "Norside" (Near-North, Lakeview, and Uptown). I loved to see planes taking off and landing there whenever I was in the vicinity of the Shedd Aquarium or the Adler Planetarium. The developer did a nice job with this add-on. I wish we could still get charts for Meigs. The old MSFS always launched at Meigs back in the day, unless you set some other default airport (which I never did). MSFS didn't have a World Map back then. I took off from Midway (RWY 31C) twice for the short hop to the lakefront to record this video.

If you Google “charts for Meigs airport” it will pull up the old stuff.

The original Meigs Field had a blimp flying over it. I went out of my way in 2001 just to visit Chicago and see Meigs Field. My wife still does not understand why. Anyhow, like a typical tourist, I also went up the Sears Tower and to my amazement, a blimp came flying over. I think that it was carrying an advertisment for Fuji film. If I have got the process correct, attached is a photo of the event.

meigs field with blimp.jpg

Edited by nsproles

Windows 11, GeForce GTX 1660ti; 3.60 gigahertz AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core; Kingston SA2000M81000G SSD; 16 gb RAM; CH yoke; Saitek pedals; Three monitors; TrackIR 3.