Virtual Reality-Which one?

The boss (wife), :) has given me permission to get a VR set. That being said, the question is, which one would work best with my setup etc...

My computer specs are listed below.

I am using a dual monitor setup (not sure if that is relevant), and I do wear glasses all the time (well, except when sleeping, lol)

I was looking at the HP Reverb G2

Thoughts??

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

The boss (wife), :) has given me permission to get a VR set. That being said, the question is, which one would work best with my setup etc...

My computer specs are listed below.

I am using a dual monitor setup (not sure if that is relevant), and I do wear glasses all the time (well, except when sleeping, lol)

I was looking at the HP Reverb G2

Thoughts??

Nice one boss! :)

Reverb G2? Absolutely! I started with a Rift (CV1). I now have a Quest, Quest 2 and of course a Reverb G2.

The G2 works incredibly well with MSFS, especially since the latest update & the lat3st nvidia drivers.

I too wear glasses and have never had a problem. As long as your glasses aren’t huge. With my previous glasses, I ordered the cheapest available in a small frame, as a spare pair and used these for VR.

I recently got a new pair and completely forgot about VR while in the shop! so my new glasses are just a little larger than I would have liked, but still not a problem. Any bigger then it might have been an issue.

You’re gonna love VR though David. I have three 43” screens and several Saitek panels… all obsolete since changing to VR :) You get a different perspective in VR, which you don’t get with flat screens. I could never go back.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Thanks Steve-Question-I am using the Logitech Extreme 3d PRO flight stick. Will I need to change that? Been doing some reading and I am seeing controllers mentioned...
Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Nice one boss! :)

Reverb G2? Absolutely! I started with a Rift (CV1). I now have a Quest, Quest 2 and of course a Reverb G2.

The G2 works incredibly well with MSFS, especially since the latest update & the lat3st nvidia drivers.

I too wear glasses and have never had a problem. As long as your glasses aren’t huge. With my previous glasses, I ordered the cheapest available in a small frame, as a spare pair and used these for VR.

I recently got a new pair and completely forgot about VR while in the shop! so my new glasses are just a little larger than I would have liked, but still not a problem. Any bigger then it might have been an issue.

You’re gonna love VR though David. I have three 43” screens and several Saitek panels… all obsolete since changing to VR :) You get a different perspective in VR, which you don’t get with flat screens. I could never go back.

Regards

Steve

I am impressed. VR is so good that you diregard multiple 42' monitor as obsolete! I will have to rethink my priorities.

Inviato dal mio M2002J9G utilizzando Tapatalk

No problem.

I’m not familiar with the Logitech flightstick, but I don’t know why you would have to change it,. You get use to the position and feel of any controller. Presumably you don’t look down at the stick while using it?

I use the Honeycomb yoke and throttles (plus Siatek throttle for mixture and parking brake) I know exactly where they are, while wearing the headset. You soon get used feeling around.

The Reverb has its own (handheld) controllers. That might be what you have read about? I’m not sure if MSFS supports them yet, but I personally don’t like using them anyway. Their batteries don’t last long and I prefer to use my own controls.

By the way, check out VR FlightSimGuy on YouTube. He has some excellent videos on the G2 & other headsets,

https://www.youtube.com/c/VRFlightSimGuy/videos

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Thanks Steve, you have answered the question about the controller.

What about the keyboard? I use it a LOT, changing views mostly, looking around, guessing it would not be visible while using the VR setup

You won’t need to keep changing views anymore :) well not so much anyway. You’ll just move your head around. I keep my keyboard nearby, always in the same place. I do use the cursor keys occasionally, for moving my viewpoint back/forward/left/right. I presume you’ll already have a key or controller setup for internal/external view.

Also I’ve got the spacebar setup to show/hide the toolbar (for weather etc) as simply moving the mouse/cursor to the top of the screen doesn’t work in VR. You have to bind a control for the VR Toolbar.

When you do get the Reverb (or whichever headset you decide on) one of the first things you must do is bind a control to centre your view, plus a control to enable/disable VR

Setting the “centre your view” control is essential.. before you enable VR for the first time. Many of us learnt this the hard way LOL

You load a flight.. activate VR… only to see a message in the headset “press the control to centre your view” (or something like that) then to realise you’re gonna have quit and bind the control first LOL

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

While you have got the "Boss" in the mood, David, see if she will allow you to purchase some prescription lenses for your new headset. There are several companies (vr-rock.com for instance) that make them for around 80 to 100 dollars, depending on what you add (blue filters, etc). They will snap onto the lenses inside your headset so you won' need to have your glasses on. I was going to do this as I could barely see my hand from an outstretched arm. Then discovered I had Cataracts really bad in both eyes. Got the surgery recently with new lenses (I now have what I call bionic eyes) and now I see perfectly again. So I won't need them now. But you should at least check into them and see if you would benefit from them. Oh, and follow Steve's advice above about assigning a couple of buttons on a joystick for VR Enable\Disable and VR Centering. I also have a couple of spare Saitek Throttle Quadrants which I use the bottom buttons for things like moving my view forward\backwards, up\down and left\right. All while in VR. I like to sit closer to the instrument panel and down a tiny bit.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

Hello,

I just wanted to add to this discussion because I wear glasses all day because I see can't see very good, but when I am using VR I don't wear my glasses and I can see just fine. I bought the Oculus Rift S and you have to keep the drivers updated as well to have it work good, at least for me it's that way it is. But other than that I love it, much better than using views, and you can look out the side windows and see the ground, just like a real flight! Highly recommended.

Rockitglider

Thanks for all the advice/help. I am looking forward to this!!! Hopefully will be here tomorrow!!

Getting the HP one

Wow!!! It is incredible!!!

However, with my glasses (cannot afford the lens replacements that was suggested), things are blurry. i've adjusted the headset, which helped a bit, but are there other settings I can use?

From what I could see clearly (narrow window so to speak), it was great!! I even had the wife try it out and she was impressed. She wants me to keep it and get things worked out.

What do I need to do?

Glad you’re impressed! :)

Is it just MSFS that’s blurry? You will notice that the sim now has two graphics settings pages… one for PC (monitors) and one for VR - you might want to check out the VR settings.

Also download / install OpenXR if you haven’t already (from MS Store)

check this out..

As for MSFS settings.. you’ll find that VR runs better if you reduce the settings on the PC (monitor) options page to low.

Hope this helps.

Glad the boss likes it too!

Oh and also download and install the latest nvidia drivers (512.59)

I always go for the clean install option.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Also make sure to set your IPD (Inter Pupil Distance) or as my eye doctor calls it, IP. There is a slider on the bottom right side. Adjust it back and forth with your headset on until MSFS looks great. If it is not set correctly it can look blurry.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

Glad you’re impressed! :)

Is it just MSFS that’s blurry? You will notice that the sim now has two graphics settings pages… one for PC (monitors) and one for VR - you might want to check out the VR settings.

Also download / install OpenXR if you haven’t already (from MS Store)

check this out..

As for MSFS settings.. you’ll find that VR runs better if you reduce the settings on the PC (monitor) options page to low.

Hope this helps.

Glad the boss likes it too!

Oh and also download and install the latest nvidia drivers (512.59)

I always go for the clean install option.

Regards

Steve

The sim is blurry through the VR, not on the monitors.

I do have the latest drivers, did a clean install as well. Took another flight (now that I can load it, lol) and it was basically the same, still not sharp. I usually fly in Drone view and while it was not bad, I could tell that it was not as sharp as it was on the monitors. Did get a bit light headed though while looking around, that was actually fun.

Just need some tweaking. Been watching You Tube videos. I did have the IPD adjust correctly as another poster commented. Any other suggestions I will gladly accept :)