Flyin' around in Ukraine

Took off from Berdyansk and flew to Mariupol in the Daher Kodiak 100, with an dead-stick landing in a field enroute (my first) just for fun.deadstick landing Donbas region.jpg

I hope the farmer didn't object

Mariupol in better days.jpg

Mariupol in better days

Mariopul airport Look ma, no MiGs small.jpg

Mariupol airport. Look ma, no MiGs

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Your shots look great! It's a damned shame no one alive today will likely live long enough to see Mariupol look this nice again. And frankly that field you landed in is probably in better condition than any runway there today.

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Your shots look great! It's a damned shame no one alive today will likely live long enough to see Mariupol look this nice again. And frankly that field you landed in is probably in better condition than any runway there today.

Michael

Thanks. I use Navigraph and, reflective of the current situation in Ukraine, when I entered the ICAO codes for Berdyansk and Mariupol to find their approach plates, I got nothing. I think both airports have been closed since 2014 due to fighting in the Donbas region. But their codes are still good in MSFS.

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

I agree. I just went to Google Earth and it still shows a view of the airport. (UKCM) I also found UKCM in sim databases complete with an ILS approach using 109.7.

As I said, in both cases I'm sure it looks better in the old views than it does today!! :eek::eek:

Michael

I found a really nice scenery for Kyiv over at flightsim.to. Some lovely models of beautiful buildings in the city and well worth a quick search over there. It was nice to fly around and get some orientation of the city.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I found a really nice scenery for Kyiv over at flightsim.to. Some lovely models of beautiful buildings in the city and well worth a quick search over there. It was nice to fly around and get some orientation of the city.

Thanks for the hint! Though seeing the current shots in the news everyday, I'm not sure how many people with PTSD would sleep well from seeing the comparison of what it was and what it now is. I just did my flight into UKCM yesterday after Aptosflier said he didn't see it on Navigraph and I ended up depressed thinking about the present and future there.

Michael