Runway Info Gauge

This gauge goes back almost 20 years. I used it in FS9 and now use it in FSX. I would like to add info to it for VHHX Hong Kong Old. I have the necessary data for Runways 13 and 31 and will use the format from VHHH. The first numerical entry for VHHH is the number 28. Here is the text line for VHHH from the original data string.

VHHH HONG_KONG_INTL 28 07L_ILS_073_12467_111.10_072

What does the number 28 stand for? Also, are 73 and 72 magnetic headings for runway O7L?

TIA

Update:

Figured it out. It is elevation.

Edited by miatamariner

Also, are 73 and 72 magnetic headings for runway O7L?

That would probably be correct, however keep in mind that the magnetic declination in the Sim is NOT what it is in the current real world anymore, but can be messed around with using BGL files that add in that data. Something I really don't want to mess with myself unless I'm flying as real as it gets and need that data to be exact. For that I'd probably be better off having two separate installs of the Sim...

Actually, 72 might refer to a VOR. Is 111.10 the frequency to a VOR near there?

Never mind. It's probably the runway ILS Freq. And the 12467 part might be runway length.

According to NOAA, the magnetic declination is changing by nine one hundredths per year to the West.

About the same for Tokyo.

This is a mean average difference of 4.8 arcminutes between the two locations with a distance of ~1,780 SM/2,800 KM between the two points. LOL!

https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/calculators/magcalc.shtml

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

CRJ Simpilot:

Not sure about 111.10 being a VOR frequency but I ended up assigning my own frequencies for runway 13 & 31 anyway using ADE to do it. Here is what I entered for VHHX using the format of VHHH which is right above it. Not to concerned about magnetic variation!

VHHH HONG_KONG_INTL 28 07L_ILS_073_12467_111.10_072 07R_ILS_073_12467_109.30_073 25L_ILS_253_12467_108.90_253 25R_ILS_253_12467_110.90_252

VHHX HONG_KONG_OLD 30 13_ILS_130_11740_111.95_130 31_ILS_310_11740_109.90_310

I have adapted this as a pop up gauge as seen here on a 777 panel.

Runway.jpg

Edited by miatamariner

I'm too lazy right now and lack the motivation to look, but I'm sure somewhere online are old approach plates for VHHX. Maybe in the Wayback Machine for a website that had them at one time.

I don't use such a gauge when I fly. Just the default, but modified for TCAS GPS 500 in the Sim. It has the same code that gauge does I'm sure, just operates differently. For me, the magnetic heading is important because that's what I adjust the HSI to flying an ILS approach. Even doing that, sometimes the runway is waaay off which makes me mad when I'm flying blind. I do use Little Navmap to augment my situational awareness.

There's another gauge I use called a WAAS gauge. It's pretty much an over exaggerated default GPS, but has the perk of seeing how many miles from the runway you are so I can set up the TOD (and I'm pretty good with that) and gives you a type of poorman's ILS LOC and GS based on runway center position and its location. I use that all the time to augment an ILS approach or when flying onto a runway with no ILS. I just have this gauge installed in my F22 though. It's not a very intuitive gauge to use, but once you get the hang of it and know how the code works it's not so bad. I'm just one of those people that can figure out electronic stuff pretty quickly without a manual. Actually did that for the FMC in the PMDG 737 LOL!

In that data:

07L_ILS_073_12467_111.10_072

07R_ILS_073_12467_109.30_073

For 7L

the _073

is probably Runway heading

and the _072

is probably ILS heading.

My thinking is:

_073 Runway heading because same for both runways.

_072 ILS heading for 7L runway is different from ILS heading of 7R would make sense to create separation between traffic landing on 7L and aircraft that are landing on the parallel runway 7R.

(Note: 7L ILS _072 is also different from the Runway heading of 7L. )

(So called "offset ILS".)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...