Photogrammetry causing huge performance drop at certain airports!

Is it normal for Photogrammetry to cause a huge performance hit in FS2020 when at airports? For example, at CYQG, with photogrammetry enabled I get 25 fps sitting on runway 25 on the Cessna 172 G1000. With photogrammetry disabled I get 57 fps in the same spot. I disable vsync and uncap the fps for performance testing purposes only. This is with the terrain LOD set to 400 which I recently set to and that could be why I noticed the frame rate hit with photogrammetry enabled as it goes well below my capped 30 fps. With terrain LOD set to 200 (which I formerly had it set to), I get 39 fps at that spot with photogrammetry enabled and 75 fps with photogrammetry disabled, still a huge difference in fps between photogrammetry enabled and disabled. With terrain LOD set to 300 (which I also tried for a few days), I get 29 fps at that spot with photogrammetry enabled and 71 fps with photogrammetry disabled, still a huge difference in fps between photogrammetry enabled and disabled.When I'm actually in the air, the frame rates are much higher, even with photogrammetry enabled. I noticed that the type of aircraft does not make a difference in frame rates when I have the fps hit with photogrammetry turned on as frame rates are the same at that spot whether I'm using the 747-8i or the Cessna 172 (Classic). I also get less than 30 fps at other airports if I have photogrammetry turned on (with terrain LOD set to 400) and type of aircraft not making any difference in fps.

So to sum it up:

Terrian LOD at 400 (CYQG Rwy 25)

Photogrammetry On - 25 fps

Photogrammetry Off - 57 fps

Terrain LOD at 300 (CYQG Rwy 25)

Photogrammetry On - 29 fps

Photogrammetry Off - 71 fps

Terrain LOD at 200 (CYQG Rwy 25)

Photogrammetry On - 39 fps

Photogrammetry Off - 75 fps

Edited by Dave68

Hi Dave,

That’s interesting. It can make quite a difference can’t it?

Of course you haven’t listed your other settings. What level is rendering scale set to? You’ll probably find that that makes the biggest impact of all the settings. Also these will vary depending on your computer specs.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I am one of those -- I think we are a sizeable group -- who for several months have seen a major drop in performance (stuttering) everywhere when photogrammetry is on, but have great performance when it is off. Asobo is aware of the problem, but so far it persists through the most recent update. I will say, though, that I don't really miss photogrammetry all that much, mainly because at or near the ground it looks terrible (admittedly, from altitude the PG cities look great).

Hi Dave,

That’s interesting. It can make quite a difference can’t it?

Of course you haven’t listed your other settings. What level is rendering scale set to? You’ll probably find that that makes the biggest impact of all the settings. Also these will vary depending on your computer specs.

Regards

Steve

My system: Ryzen 5800x, Asus B550-F (Wi-Fi) motherboard, 32GB DDR4-3200, GTX 1080 Ti, 2TB 970 EVO Plus (Games), 2TB 980 Pro (Windows 11 OS)

Render scale at 100 and screen resolution at 1080p, Ultra preset

Nothing wrong with your pc specs. With terrain LOD set to 200 you’re getting good fps. I’d even say LOD at 300 is still good. Not really a problem? If you are wanting more fps though, try dropping render scale a little and you’ll probably find that your fps increases. My render scale is set to 75, Although I fly in VR which is a bit more demanding.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Nothing wrong with your pc specs. With terrain LOD set to 200 you’re getting good fps. I’d even say LOD at 300 is still good. Not really a problem? If you are wanting more fps though, try dropping render scale a little and you’ll probably find that your fps increases. My render scale is set to 75, Although I fly in VR which is a bit more demanding.

Regards

Steve

Not really a problem, at least for now, as I think terrain at 300 with photogrammetry turned on is a good balance for my system. However, I have aircraft traffic and airport traffic turned off. I'm thinking about future headroom for DLC that might tank the fps further. However, in the future if a realistic AI aircraft traffic DLC and I decide to purchase it in the future that 29 fps could turn into 15-20 fps if it does not use a separate core for AI traffic. At LAX I get 27 fps right now with terrain LOD at 300 and photogrammetry enabled, and if I decided to add aircraft traffic (I don't like the stock AI aircraft traffic so I keep that disabled) in the future from a 3rd party, that 27 fps could turn into 14-18 fps if it does not use a separate core.