How much better is the MSFS2020 than the FS2004 ?

I just recently broke out my old MSFS2004 that I put quite a bit of time on it 10+ years ago. I loaded it up to get my Grandkids into it. My question is…How much Better is the MSFS2020 than the MSFS2004 ? Sometime changes aren’t better just different. If it’s better I’d buy it right now. Just curious at this point. Thanks for any info you might consider sending me. Edited by Nels_Anderson

Take a look at the MSFS Screen Shot Forum and judge for yourself...

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/forumdisplay.php?9-MSFS-Screen-Shot-Forum

You will need a decent computer (my computer is 8 years old and runs it fine) and a fast internet connection since MSFS is on-line only rather then off-line like MS 2004

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Take a look at the MSFS Screen Shot Forum

Especially this one :) These look like little toy airplanes flown with a simple Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Flight Control Stick

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?337007-VFR-(Direct-GPS)-Lukla-(VNLK)-Nepal

RAM: Team T-Force 32GB CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 super C Drive: M.2 SSD 1.0tb CPU Air Cooler: DEEPCOOL GAMMAX GTE V2, PSU: Bronze 600W, Flight Stick: Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS, W10

My question is…How much Better is the MSFS2020 than the MSFS2004 ?

I'm not a pilot, so I can't really assert anything about realism, other than both are/were convincing to me, and that some taildraggers are REALLY difficult to take-off and land in MSFS 2020.

Visually speaking, though, MSFS 2020 is a quantum leap ahead.

It's like comparing 4K UHD Blu-ray to a VHS tape.

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

Better has many meanings. I have used FS2004 and FS2020 as well as many others. Here are several things to consider.

Where FS2004 is "better. There are a LOT more addon options for FS2004. If you want to fly a Taylorcraft or a Renard, you can probably find several options in FS2004. If you want to simulate realistic airliner systems, if companies like PDMG still support FS2004, that is not recreated as well yet in FS2020, but probably will be in less than a year. FS2004 is a mature product and has had a long time to iron out kinks.FS2020 is still (and will remain) a developing product. If you have a super low tolerance for updates and changes, FS2004 has that advantage. If you don't like change, FS2004 is much like FS2002 or FSX in the way controls and keyboard assignments work. FS2020 is a markedly different product, and there is a robust learning curve to exploit it well.

Now to where FS2020 excels. The environment in which you fly is just SO much more realistic and three dimensional. What seemed like a cartoon landscape in FS2004 will now jump out and recreate the natural environment. Where before in FS2004 you could tell there was a city, you can in FS2020 find specific buildings, and even identify special use facilities. I recall early on, finding a water treatment plant that was easily identified as such, even though I had no knowledge of the area. Aircraft in FS2020 are spectacular in their appearance especially if you use 1440p or better. FS2020 models GA aircraft quite well.

Although I no longer run FS2004, I still have FSX and FS2002. I will say my use of both is super minimal compared to FS2020. I also have X-Plane, but FS2020 is so much more visually superior, I use it rarely. If you try FS2020 on a good system, you will find it very hard to use the older simulators!

Ohio.jpg

Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Echoing what others have said, graphics are YEARS ahead of FS 2004. However, as others have pointed out, there is a LOT of differences.

That being said, there is a way to get it for $1 for a month to "test drive/fly" it to see if it is something you would like to plunge into :) I do not have the specifics at this time on how to do that, however, I do know it is an option. Others on the forum can assist you in that direction :)

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

I just recently broke out my old MSFS2004 that I put quite a bit of time on it 10+ years ago. I loaded it up to get my Grandkids into it. My question is…How much Better is the MSFS2020 than the MSFS2004 ? Sometime changes aren’t better just different. If it’s better I’d buy it right now. Just curious at this point. Thanks for any info you might consider sending me.

How old are your grandkids? If they're really young, chances are real world graphics aren't important to them. Upgrading to FSX might be enough.

FS9 and FSX offer an array of planes, scenery, etc that pales in comparison to MSFS thus far. Personally I'm glad I took the plunge and bought MSFS, but again, previous versions hold their own just fine.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

Echoing what others have said, graphics are YEARS ahead of FS 2004. However, as others have pointed out, there is a LOT of differences.

That being said, there is a way to get it for $1 for a month to "test drive/fly" it to see if it is something you would like to plunge into :) I do not have the specifics at this time on how to do that, however, I do know it is an option. Others on the forum can assist you in that direction :)

By signing up for a temporary Gamepass account. That's what I did and once I saw my new PC could handle it, I bought it and cancelled my gamepass.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

It is nevertheless amazing how, 20 years ago, FS2002 was able to come that close! :)

Not to disparage older sims such as FS9 and FSX, which were great in their day, but it really is not close. Flat areas such as those in the posted screenshots don't begin to tell the full story. If you compare cities, mountainous and coastal areas, etc., to MSFS, the differences are obvious, and huge.

Hello friends! So good to be dropping by!

In short, if you want graphics above all else and can't see anything wrong with MSFS graphics, MSFS is your game.

If you want a flight simulator and are prepared to sacrifice graphics, stay with FS9. Good quality FS9 airports and aircraft still look great. It's the ground textures where there is considerable difference most times.

The screenshots posted above by plainsman, I'm assuming they are MSFS? Apart from the first one, the other 3 could've all come from FS9. I really had to look!

Mark Daniels