Taking the plunge

Hi all,

I finally decided to take the plunge and try out our new sim, and just wanted to

share my thoughts so far with it.

I did a fresh W10 install, got rid of the crap apps I don't need, disabled the other

crap I don't need then installed the MSFS app from steam to my "C" drive in it's

default folder. I re-installed my Avast Antivirus programme and was then ready to

go.

I then bought and downloaded the deluxe steam version and installed into a new

folder on a dedicated SSD drive. The download was approx 120gb and it took about

6 hours to install, and this went without a hitch. Once this was done I fired up the sim

and spent a bit of time with interface. It has configured the settings based on my

specs, and this seems fine at the moment. I did a couple of the sightseeing flights

which went well, so I then created a flight from EGTE, which is my nearest airport

and just bumbled around the local area, and I have to say I am absolutely stunned!

Even without tweaking or buggering around, IMHO, this sim is a quantum leap ahead

of the rest, and for me, it just works! It looks fantastic and even with the recommended

settings, I loved it straightaway and am so glad I took the plunge, and at the moment

have no regrets, fingers crossed it stays that way;)

I know people will say the aircraft modelling is not as good as sim A" or sim "B" or sim "C"

but so what, for me it is a natural progression from FSX, and I just I happen to think its

great, and it just seems to work, so I am going to give it the time it deserves, and although

I have enjoyed the previous versions, it's just time for me to move on.

One interesting point is, I forgot to unplug my CH Yoke and Rudder Pedals, but guess what,

it picked them up no problem and they work fine, all I need to do is reconfigure some of the

axis and button assignments to how I like them and I will be very happy.

Now where is all that add on scenery I want?

Cheers

Richard

i7-4770K 4.60 GHz (Hyperthreading off) Liquid Cooling 16GB G-Skill DDR3 GeForce GTX1050Ti 4GB 500GB WD Blue 3D SSD SATA III x4 Creative Sound Z Sound Card 5.1Ch 24BitAvermedia video capture card CH Yoke and Rudder NZXT Fan Controller Windows10 64 Prof FS9 - FSX -FSX-SE Track Hat

Hi Richard, welcome to MSFS! Glad it’s working well and you’re enjoying it :)

If you want some free addon scenery, take a look at http://www.flightsim.to - lots of scenery and aircraft etc there.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

You are absolutely right that MSFS is a quantum leap ahead in flight simulation. I started with FS2 forty years ago and have seen them all, or most anyway, and nothing remotely like this has existed in the past. As you explore the world in a much more realistic way than was possible before, you will be continually blown away! It is amazing and then some. But be aware that this is a work in progress, not a finished product by any means, and there will likely be glitches to deal with along the way (for example, the mandatory updates can cause frustration for some). But it's worth it, believe me. Patience is the watchword. Welcome aboard!

You are absolutely right that MSFS is a quantum leap ahead in flight simulation. I started with FS2 forty years ago and have seen them all, or most anyway, and nothing remotely like this has existed in the past. As you explore the world in a much more realistic way than was possible before, you will be continually blown away! It is amazing and then some. But be aware that this is a work in progress, not a finished product by any means, and there will likely be glitches to deal with along the way (for example, the mandatory updates can cause frustration for some). But it's worth it, believe me. Patience is the watchword. Welcome aboard!

I subscribe that, word by word.

Certainly many complain about the occasional glitches, but hardly any of them would move away from MSFS once tested, because it's indeed a quantum leap ahead the rest, and not even two years ago nobody expected it to happen.

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for the link, wow, what a site that is, so glad I took the plunge and despite all my

payware addons, and finally getting it to run reasonably well, I definitely wont be going back to

FSX. That's not to say FSX is a bad sim, I have spent many happy hours flying with payware AC,

ORBX scenery etc, but it was of it's time and I like to embrace the future, after all, I wouldn't go

back to Floppy Discs, Serial Ports, Dot Matrix Printers and green screen CRT monitors;)

Like it's predecessor, FSX is still a great sim and will live on for many years, but for me it was

time to let it go. I know there will be hiccups and bumps in the road ahead with 2020, but that

has been the same for all of the previous incarnations of our Fightsims, but with all the help and

knowledge that is shared in this forum, I feel confident we will eventually overcome them all.

Cheers and happy flying to you all,

Richard

i7-4770K 4.60 GHz (Hyperthreading off) Liquid Cooling 16GB G-Skill DDR3 GeForce GTX1050Ti 4GB 500GB WD Blue 3D SSD SATA III x4 Creative Sound Z Sound Card 5.1Ch 24BitAvermedia video capture card CH Yoke and Rudder NZXT Fan Controller Windows10 64 Prof FS9 - FSX -FSX-SE Track Hat

No problem Richard :)

I’ve used MS flight sims since FS4 have enjoyed every one of them, but this new one is miles apart from the rest. As well as all the freeware scenery, there is some excellent payware too. I have a few Orbx ones, including their Great Britain Central, which includes so many landmarks.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Welcome to the MSFS club! I too was skeptical, but now, I'm not planning on going back to previous versions. There's nothing better than flying over my house and seeing MY TRUCK in the driveway! Lol
CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

Hi Richard, and a warm welcome to this fantastic flight simulator. I also don't experience any of the problems certain people always seem to have. It has worked fine since I purchased it on December 26, 2020, except the one CTD I had in January of 2021. The sim has worked very well for me since then and I quite enjoy it. But beware. There are certain individuals who feel the need to excoriate you because you enjoy it. Just ignore them and have fun flying the best flight simulator so far.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

Hi Richard, and a warm welcome to this fantastic flight simulator. I also don't experience any of the problems certain people always seem to have. It has worked fine since I purchased it on December 26, 2020, except the one CTD I had in January of 2021. The sim has worked very well for me since then and I quite enjoy it. But beware. There are certain individuals who feel the need to excoriate you because you enjoy it. Just ignore them and have fun flying the best flight simulator so far.

Not to worry -- they are well known in the forums. Just use them as comic relief.

Edited by cobalt

Hi,

Thanks for all the positive comments, just a quick update, I have left all the settings as they

were, have added the fantastic freeware EGHA, which is where I have spent many hours RWF

and have now clocked up about 5 hours VFR bumming around sightseeing in the trusty 152,

with the result that I am now completely hooked, I just love it, no stutters, no scenery popping

up, no repeat ground textures, just the joy of flying, which is surely what flightsim is all about?

I know I don't have a system that will run everything on ultra, bit having used this sim, I don't

need that, I am just very happy to have a sim that just does what is supposed to do without the

fuss and bother.

As far as the naysayers are concerned, I am realistic enough to know that at some time in the

future I will have a hiccup, but with the help of this forum, I will deal with it as when when it

happens, until then, I am just going to enjoy what for me is fantastic sim experience that I am

finding difficult to stay away from, I always said that work has a serious impact on my social

life:D, now wheres that sicknote!;)

Many thanks for all your positive comments and help, happy simming:D

cheers

Richard

Glad you're enjoying it. I could never again fly any of the older sims, for once you fly over the real world with MSFS, you're never going to want to go back.

Not strictly true for me. I bought it and installed in on Day One, flew over my house, then deleted it and got my money back. I bought it again last November, took the time to set it up for my rig and flew it for maybe fifty hours or so. I'm not deliberately avoiding it, but I notice I haven't gone back to it since January. Clearly I'm stuck in the dark ages with P3D. Oh, well . . .

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]