MSFS 2020 Hardware and Performance

Hi All. I built a new PC and have the following:

11th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-11700K @ 3.60GHz Overclock to 4.80 GHz

32GB RAM

Nvidia Geforce RTX1070

2TB M.2 SSD

Wondering if I can run the program satisfactorily at medium settings with decent frame rates.

I'm not looking to go Ultra High 4K settings like seen in those Youtube videos!

Once prices get down on graphics cards, I'll jump to RTX3080ti.

Any input is appreciated!

Your CPU and RAM are very adequate to running at Medium settings. The 1070 may even allow you to get "High" settings on some things when running at 1080. Your monitor needs to be up to it too. If you have refresh rate higher than 60hz, go for it.

Sadly, MSFS2020 is not overclocking friendly. It may work, but watch out for CTD's. Also, your GPU will be worked very hard, make sure you have good cooling. This may also cause CTD's. When you go to the 3080, make sure you have at least a 750w power supply, 850 would be even better.

But with what you have, and good cooling, 1080p at 60hz refresh should give you 35-45 fps which is quite smooth at Medium settings.

Asus Z590 P, Intel I7-10700K, nVidia RTX 4070, 64gb ram(3200), 2 nvme ssd (2 tb total),

Samsung QN90B 43" 4k@120hz, Bose Companion 5 PC speakers, Velocity Flight One

When you do decide you want to try MSFS, I recommend you sign up for the Xbox Gamepass trial. It costs just £1 / $1 for a month’s trial. That way you can test your pc and see how the sim works before actually buying it.

Just remember to cancel the gamepass before the month is up.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

You should be fine. I use Ultra settings in most all situations with no problems. I just took a short flight from KSFO 28R over downtown San Francisco. The framerate was locked at 30 and it never went lower. I've seen the same thing for NYC out of La Guardia. I agree with Steve, try it, you just may like it.....Doug
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

I have a I9-10900K overclocked to 5.1 Ghz and have not ever had a problem with CTD's. And before THAT one person puts words in my mouth again about "so your saying everybody else who overclocked their computer shouldn't have a problem either". No! I must be the lucky one because I don't have an issue with it. I'm only talking about myself and MY system. I flew a 7 hour flight the other day with no issues at all. Most of my flights are 2 to 3 hours normally with no issues. I would suggest trying it and if you have any issues then try lowering your overclock speed a little at a time until the simulator runs stable even if it means you can't over clock at all. I also recommend what Steve mentioned above about getting a $1 Game Pass to see if you even like it before purchasing it. So I wish you good luck and happy flying.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

I have a I9-10900K overclocked to 5.1 Ghz and have not ever had a problem with CTD's. And before THAT one person puts words in my mouth again about "so your saying everybody else who overclocked their computer shouldn't have a problem either". No! I must be the lucky one because I don't have an issue with it. I'm only talking about myself and MY system. I flew a 7 hour flight the other day with no issues at all. Most of my flights are 2 to 3 hours normally with no issues. I would suggest trying it and if you have any issues then try lowering your overclock speed a little at a time until the simulator runs stable even if it means you can't over clock at all. I also recommend what Steve mentioned above about getting a $1 Game Pass to see if you even like it before purchasing it. So I wish you good luck and happy flying.

I agree with you.

I overclocked the snot of my puny old R3. A full 1 GHz over base, and 700 MHz over boost. BUT, I put a 230W cooler on a 65W CPU and my case has great airflow.

I also overclocked my geriatric 970 by 200 MHz, but I use a custom and quite aggresive fan curve.

With this setup, I get extremely infrequent crashes. Much fewer than some stock systems out there, that's for sure. At my settings and with my system, that's what I have to do and is the difference between 25 fps and 30 fps. Big difference right there.

To the OP, you're fine. I run a combination of medium-high settings, with trees on ultra and 90% render scaling. On an ultrawide 1080p (remember, ultrawide is more pixels horizontally) I get 30 -33 FPS in most places. New york might see me dip down into mid 20s. Granted that's with something like a Caravan, not an A320.

Lukcily, the sim is tuneable; and with a little bit of digging, you can squeeze a lot of performance out of it.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide