MSFS Trouble Landing with Hotas One

rgsherr

MSFS on Xbox Series S and the Hotas One. I'm having a lot of trouble landing, keeping the plane level and even coming in on the runway and not next to it. If I understand correctly the rudder should be used for direction changing when on the ground and the ailerons when in the air. If I use the ailerons to adjust direction as I come in they always bank the plane too much and it's difficult to get level again. Rudder is a little better but it also causes problems. I have the sensitivities on the rudder set to -30 and on the ailerons to -50 per Huddison's Youtube suggestions. Works find while flying but not while coming in for a landing. I've tried some other settings but nothing has helped yet. I know, practice, practice, practice but I have to wonder now whether some of the problem is with the Hotas One. Also I went into Assistant settings but almost everything is greyed out now and it won't let me make any changes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

try a mixture of rudder and ailerons ...Rudders are used in the air example s sideslip manoeuvre.. and always keep the runways threshold in view at the bottom of the cockpit window..... Until you get the feel for landings I suggest turning the wind off too, but turn it back on once you are ready to move onto the next level..... At the end of the day it all comes down to practice...... As for your controls could you setup two profiles? one for landing one for flying..... once you gain your landing skills you will only need the one profile for all.... It took me some time to finally gain my landing skills when I started out, it can get very frustrating but stick with it..... take in some youtube videos on landing preferably for the plane your are training in, and stick with the same plane too until you have mastered the landing skill...... and lastly try to adjust your control settings to find the sweet spot between flight and landing.... Edited by daspinall

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

To add to the above, turns in the air are actually a combination of aileron and rudder, since aileron alone wants to somewhat nudge the nose in the opposite direction, how much being dependent on which aircraft, so what we call a coordinated turn uses a combination of both, keeping the ball centered with rudder. Of course a touch of back pressure is needed, too, since otherwise the nose wants to drop a bit because the turn is diverting lift to make the aircraft turn.

The above reaction is a lot of what causes folks headaches for turns in the air, especially at lower airspeeds.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Also just in case you don't know runway lights.. on either side of the threshold of the runway you will see on the correct glide path down to the runway 2 red 2 white lights 3 red lights you are dipping under the GP 4 reds and you are under the GP PULL UP! 3 white lights you're climbing above the GP 4 white lights you have climbed above the GP.... also there is a balance of power and trim you need to be thinking off... The flight school landing section in MSFS2020 will be of help to you, also along with using the same plane whilst learning to land use the same runway too, that way it reduces any distractions to the task at hand...... and one last note an aircraft controls do get sluggish at low speeds and sensitive at high speeds... when you see a pilot landing on youtube, they seem very assertive with the yoke making fast sort movements, that's because the controls are sluggish at low speeds, they are actually only making very minute adjustments to keep on the GP... happy landings Edited by daspinall

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz