Migrating MSFS to a new drive questions...

Hello all,

I am currently in Tech School with the USAF and left my home with MSFS on a 256gb SSD and 30gbs of free space left on the drive. I am looking to upgrade it to a 2tb m.2 SSD for when I go home for Christmas exodus as I won't be able to update the sim otherwise. My question is this, Can I migrate the sim to the new drive using the add or remove programs feature, or would it be better to simply uninstall the entire sim and reinstall overnight on the new drive? if that turns to be the case, will my joystick configurations be saved or will I need to recreate them? I'll only have my full simulator for just under 2 weeks and i'd like to fly the wings off it in that time and make up for 5 months no simulator, so the less of a pain I can make this the better. any help is appreciated. Thanks! Josh

Hi,

I’m not sure if you can simply copy the sim across to the new drive. I seem to think others have managed it, so maybe.

As for your joystick.. the settings are stored in the cloud, so you shouldn’t lose them :)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Where did you buy the game from? Steam or MS Store?

If you got it from Steam just use its Move feature. Instructions here:

https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/4BD4-4528-6B2E-8327

I am not familiar with the MS Store version. I guess you could try just moving the files over to the new drive and then firing up the MS Store to verify them.

However if you have a high speed uncapped internet connection just download and install a fresh copy. Fire up the download at your bedtime and let it go all night. You'll wake up to a new install.

Joystick prefs are saved in the cloud. As long as you use the same account on the new install you will see all your stick prefs there.

I have the Microsoft store version. As for the best route, itll take me at least 12hrs to completely reinstall the sim. I may however have no other choice. won't know till I go home and test around with it. I managed to migrate the sim once, however it was much smaller and not as many updates.