New User Xbox S MSFS Install

Hello All,

I was a frequent user of FSX several years ago but dropped out. Since the release of MSFS 2020 I am interested in it. My computer is not powerful so instead of buying a beast machine for big money I don't have I elected to buy an Xbox Series S. I will most likely ONLY use the Xbox for MSFS. I have a PS4 I use for games. I won't set it up until the beginning of next week but I do have a question thats been on my mind. If anyone has any input it would be most appreciated. Of course the S series has the 512GB internal ssd and I also purchased the Seagate 1TB expansion card. Since installs of MSFS will grow, by buying and installing addons etc, I would like to devote the 1TB expansion card for MSFS. So the bottom line is, is there a way I can download and install MSFS(from within xbox store) to the 1TB expansion card? Bypassing the 512 internal ssd? And have all future updates and addons install to the 1TB expansion card?

Any advice appreciated. Never had an xbox before.

Hi, I personally don’t own an Xbox and have never had one. I’m guessing the expansion card is an external, plug in device? If so then I doubt you could do it.

With a pc, you can install MSFS on a second drive… but not an external one. I think it’ll be the same for an Xbox, but I might be wrong.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Hi, I personally don’t own an Xbox and have never had one. I’m guessing the expansion card is an external, plug in device? If so then I doubt you could do it.

With a pc, you can install MSFS on a second drive… but not an external one. I think it’ll be the same for an Xbox, but I might be wrong.

Regards

Steve

I beg to differ. I have the Steam edition running on an external SSD with a USB 3.0 connection. Works perfectly and all addons from Marketplace go in the correct locations.

Alienware Aurora R7 * i7-8700 @ 3.2GHz * 32 gb RAM * NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 gb * Samsung EVO 1 TB SSD * Logitech EXTREME 3D PRO * Dual Monitors (1 X 2k + 1 X HD) *Windows 11*. MSFS Premium Edition

I beg to differ. I have the Steam edition running on an external SSD with a USB 3.0 connection. Works perfectly and all addons from Marketplace go in the correct locations.

I’m surprised by that. I had read somewhere that you couldn’t do it, or is a bad idea (because of bottlenecks) at least. If it’s working ok with your usb 3.0 drive then fair enough. Maybe it will work with an Xbox then.

Mind you.. his 500gb is probably still plenty for a while yet anyway.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I’m surprised by that. I had read somewhere that you couldn’t do it, or is a bad idea (because of bottlenecks) at least. If it’s working ok with your usb 3.0 drive then fair enough. Maybe it will work with an Xbox then.

Mind you.. his 500gb is probably still plenty for a while yet anyway.

Regards

Steve

The older USB 2 ports were a bottleneck when trying to run games or applications off the drives. USB 3 isn't nearly as much of a bottleneck, though still slower than an internal NVMe drive.

Using expansions works just fine and is fully supported on Xbox consoles, and has been for many years. With the new Xbox Series X/S consoles, there is a custom port specifically for SSD expansion that gives the same performance as the internal storage. Once the expansion drive is installed, games can be moved between the internal and expansion drives.

https://support.xbox.com/en-CA/help/hardware-network/storage/manage-storage

Oops, I lied. My external SSD is connected through USB C ports. Plenty fast. My start-up time is usually around 90 seconds to the map screen.

Alienware Aurora R7 * i7-8700 @ 3.2GHz * 32 gb RAM * NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 gb * Samsung EVO 1 TB SSD * Logitech EXTREME 3D PRO * Dual Monitors (1 X 2k + 1 X HD) *Windows 11*. MSFS Premium Edition