Wind!

HoratioWondersocks

Hello All

I have asked this question before, but can't remember the answer.

I really must get this sorted definitively :)

In aviation does the wind indicator point to where the wind is coming from (as a church weather vane would) or does point to where it's blowing to.

I E if the indicator points to the north ,is wind coming from the north or blowing from the south TO the north.

Thanks a lot

Andy

Thanks Dirk

It would seem to be the obvious choice really,but I do sometimes get flight conditions and airspeeds that would seem to indicate that wind could be coming FROM/TOO I.E arrow points North equals wind from the South TO the North.

Thanks for clearing this up ,I will just think Church weather vane if I get confused again :)

I will treat this as the final word.

Thanks very much

Andy

PS

Thanks Col

I Think :)

Some pre-set weather files have a wind direction in them as well. I have a few pre-sets and if I select one the wind blows from east to west, another in the opposite direction.

I found this out after I selected one and wondered why the aircraft went to the other end of the runway to take off, so now if I want a pre-set weather pattern I have to think which runway I want.

Col.

Some pre-set weather files have a wind direction in them as well. I have a few pre-sets and if I select one the wind blows from east to west, another in the opposite direction.

I found this out after I selected one and wondered why the aircraft went to the other end of the runway to take off, so now if I want a pre-set weather pattern I have to think which runway I want.

Col.

Hello Col

I to have a lot of weather themes that I downloaded either from here at Fscom or the other place ,not quite sure which.i

I don't use them very often as the weather is predictable.

I use the free weather generator FXreal weather instead and it does a pretty good job.

I use the weather generated to set the correct runway for departure and move my aircraft to my destination airport to set the runway for landing dependent on wind direction there, then move the aircraft back to my departure point for takeoff .

It works pretty well most of the time ie if I move my aircraft to the active runway ,that active runway is nearly always the correct one for the prevailing conditions. This being Flight Simulator though occasionally it will stubonly refuse and move me what seems to the wrong runway for the reported conditions.

Hope that lot makes some sense :-)

Andy