ILS Problems with the G1000 Cessna 172

When I bought MFS XBOX 2020 I thought it would be a good tool to brush up on my instrument skills or so I had been led to believe by certain publications. Now I am not so sure. Out of 10 ILS approaches with the G1000 Cessna 172 I have got the vertical component to work one time. I bought the $9.00 manual available here. It helped. I now believe this SIM has more bugs that a June picnic in a swamp.
Omen 45L - Intel i9-12900K W/Liquid Cooler - 64Gb DDR4-3733MHz Heatsink RAM - GeForce RTX3080 - ATX 800W 80+ Gold PSU - 1x2 TB WD Black M.2 SSD. - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit- Logitech Pro Flight Rudder Pedals- TrackIR v5 - Sony 4K 75" TV Monitor - Modified Obutto OZone Cockpit.

Can you give some specifics about the Takeoff airport, route and destination so we can try it out?

Page 177 of MFS2020 Flight Manual. KBEH, STYLE Departure, Altitude 5000', Waypoint ZUBIV, 3nm from ZUBIV descend to 3000' as directed by ATC, HOLD, WOVKA, 5 nm from MALLY manually descend to 2200', at MALLY CHANGE Autopilot mode to APR (approach) NAV should be set to 108.50 IBEH identifier. Good luck, I have only got the vertical to work once when initiated APR.

Omen 45L - Intel i9-12900K W/Liquid Cooler - 64Gb DDR4-3733MHz Heatsink RAM - GeForce RTX3080 - ATX 800W 80+ Gold PSU - 1x2 TB WD Black M.2 SSD. - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit- Logitech Pro Flight Rudder Pedals- TrackIR v5 - Sony 4K 75" TV Monitor - Modified Obutto OZone Cockpit.

Page 177 of MFS2020 Flight Manual. KBEH, STYLE Departure, Altitude 5000', Waypoint ZUBIV, 3nm from ZUBIV descend to 3000' as directed by ATC, HOLD, WOVKA, 5 nm from MALLY manually descend to 2200', at MALLY CHANGE Autopilot mode to APR (approach) NAV should be set to 108.50 IBEH identifier. Good luck, I have only got the vertical to work once when initiated APR.

I don't know how to enter the Departure so I used the World Map Planner to go IFR from KBEH to KBEH for an ILS 28 Approach. It set up a big arc and went through WOVKA, MALLY. I flew the first part manually and approaching WOVKA I switched the PFD to VOR1 and then engaged NAV mode. The localizer and GS both worked.

Then I tried a GPS Direct flight from KLWA to KBEH via 40C. Used NAV mode after takeoff and selected the ILS 28 Approach from the PFD and loaded it. The autopilot took me via 40C and then on to WOVKA (though it said MALLY) then MALLY. Localized and GS worked.

I don't know how to enter the Departure so I used the World Map Planner to go IFR from KBEH to KBEH for an ILS 28 Approach. It set up a big arc and went through WOVKA, MALLY. I flew the first part manually and approaching WOVKA I switched the PFD to VOR1 and then engaged NAV mode. The localizer and GS both worked.

Then I tried a GPS Direct flight from KLWA to KBEH via 40C. Used NAV mode after takeoff and selected the ILS 28 Approach from the PFD and loaded it. The autopilot took me via 40C and then on to WOVKA (though it said MALLY) then MALLY. Localized and GS worked.

i want to make sure I understand this. When you got to MALLY the GS worked and the plane descended from 2200' to runway on the glideslope. Correct? i get the GS indication but the plane never descends and no green localizer ever appears. i have to land manually every time.

i want to make sure I understand this. When you got to MALLY the GS worked and the plane descended from 2200' to runway on the glideslope. Correct? i get the GS indication but the plane never descends and no green localizer ever appears. i have to land manually every time.

Yes, the autopilot took the plane down the glide slope correctly on both flights. I can’t figure out anything you could be doing wrong since it’s pretty straight forward.

You are selecting the ILS 28 procedure, not the RNAV correct? Does the CDI show as green after MALLY?

Are you using the G1000 NXi? It can do VNAV/LPV descents at airports that support them, but cannot perform ILS approaches at this time—at least, that’s been my experience. Working Title needs to fix it. The “stock” G1000 can do ILS, but not VNAV/LPV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Yes, the autopilot took the plane down the glide slope correctly on both flights. I can’t figure out anything you could be doing wrong since it’s pretty straight forward.

You are selecting the ILS 28 procedure, not the RNAV correct? Does the CDI show as green after MALLY?

Yes, when i choose KBEH I choose the ILS28. The CDI never changes to green. I get the GP on the display. I choose APR for the autopilot at MALLY. Now i can get it to lose altitude but it just doesn't want to fly the slope correctly. I set up the approach speed around 62 kts. at MALLY before I hit the APR button. i have tried the ILS approach on 5 different airports. None of them work as they should. The plane stays on approach altitude till i select VS and do a descent by losing altitude. i have tried everything i can think of. it is a mystery to me. The XBOX version is screwy.

Yes, when i choose KBEH I choose the ILS28. The CDI never changes to green. I get the GP on the display. I choose APR for the autopilot at MALLY. Now i can get it to lose altitude but it just doesn't want to fly the slope correctly. I set up the approach speed around 62 kts. at MALLY before I hit the APR button. i have tried the ILS approach on 5 different airports. None of them work as they should. The plane stays on approach altitude till i select VS and do a descent by losing altitude. i have tried everything i can think of. it is a mystery to me. The XBOX version is screwy.

If the CDI never changes to green then it's not VOR1 so it won't track the GS. If you "Loaded" the Approach after selecting it then it should change to the VOR1 for you. You can manually change it at the bottom of PFD. Each time you press CDI it steps through VOR1, VOR2, GPS...

The flight from KLWA to KBEH using the default Garmin G1000 Cessna 172 works fine here.

I've added a screen shot of the G1000 PFD for an approach to KBEH. Maybe you can match up the details we see here. This may be rather simplified but, hopefully it's understandable. Flight level is 2000 feet, ATC is disabled. AP autopilot is engaged.

There's a few operations that need to happen to get the GS activated and start your descent to the runway.

Make sure you have your ILS/LOC frequencies set to active 108.50. I have this frequency set for both NAV 1 and NAV 2.

When your approaching waypoint MALLY:

Press the CDI button to engage LOC1 shaded in green.

The G will change to a shade of green next to the altitude tape.

Press the APR button

You will know the glide slope is active when that little green diamond starts dropping next to the altitude tape.

You can disengage the AP at about 500 feet elevation, your preference.

Ron

g1000-settings.jpg

Edited by inky160
RAM: Team T-Force 32GB CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 super C Drive: M.2 SSD 1.0tb CPU Air Cooler: DEEPCOOL GAMMAX GTE V2, PSU: Bronze 600W, Flight Stick: Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS, W10

I had both NAVS set on 108.5 for the last flight. When I get to MALLY I hit the APR button. I get the white GP indication. The magenta GPS needle never changes. I change the CDI manually to LOC 1. the green needle never aligns with the runway. By this time I am stalling the aircraft because it will not lose altitude unless I use VS or turn the Autopilot off. This is the same scenario at every airport I try. I check the flight plan everything is correct. if it won't pick up the localizer it will never follow the glide slope. i believe the XBOX version still has bugs. I constantly get the wrong altitude box several times each flight no matter how many times I hit the "D" key.

When I bought MFS XBOX 2020 I thought it would be a good tool to brush up on my instrument skills or so I had been led to believe by certain publications

Sorry, I overlooked your comment above. I have no experience with the xbox hand controller itself (except for playing Forza Horizon 5 on my TV).

I know it connects to a PC either through USB cable or Bluetooth. I assume this is your setup and you're using the xbox hand controller for flight control and not flight planning. You're using a keyboard and mouse for flight planning and navigation setup, correct?

Regards,

Ron

RAM: Team T-Force 32GB CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 super C Drive: M.2 SSD 1.0tb CPU Air Cooler: DEEPCOOL GAMMAX GTE V2, PSU: Bronze 600W, Flight Stick: Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS, W10

Sorry, I overlooked your comment above. I have no experience with the xbox hand controller itself (except for playing Forza Horizon 5 on my TV).

I know it connects to a PC either through USB cable or Bluetooth. I assume this is your setup and you're using the xbox hand controller for flight control and not flight planning. You're using a keyboard and mouse for flight planning and navigation setup, correct?

Regards,

Ron

No, I am using the digital download of MSFS 2020 XBOX to my new laptop. i have a Honeycomb Alpha Flight Controls Yoke & Switch Panel, Logitech G Saitek Throttle quadrant, and Rudder Pedals. i also have 500 hrs real flight time in Cessna 172 and Cessna 207. i am just trying to knock the rust off my pilot wings before crawling back in a plane to start flying again. i bought the MSFS 2020 manual from this website because that was all i had to go by.

No, I am using the digital download of MSFS 2020 XBOX to my new laptop. i have a Honeycomb Alpha Flight Controls Yoke & Switch Panel, Logitech G Saitek Throttle quadrant, and Rudder Pedals. i also have 500 hrs real flight time in Cessna 172 and Cessna 207. i am just trying to knock the rust off my pilot wings before crawling back in a plane to start flying again. i bought the MSFS 2020 manual from this website because that was all i had to go by.

Yes, I am using the keyboard and mouse for flight planning, navigation, camera angle, etc.

I am also having these same type of problems with C172. Prior to the latest patch, I would take off from KHEG, fly to the NDB JA then head to runway 8 (ILS) and land at KJAX. Took about 8 minutes. Once I made the turn to the east from JA, I would select approach, click the CDI and the plane would use the glideslope etc.

Now, it ignores it. Tried it again today, but this time using runway 26, it would not capture the glideslope, instead it went off to the south!

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Changing the G1000 CDI mode from GPS to LOC1 for example will now disconnect the autopilot NAV mode - on the annunciator bar at the top centre of the screen, GPS will change to ROL.

After changing CDI mode from GPS to LOC1, you need to click again on the autopilot NAV button, and then the APR button to capture the glideslope.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Changing the G1000 CDI mode from GPS to LOC1 for example will now disconnect the autopilot NAV mode - on the annunciator bar at the top centre of the screen, GPS will change to ROL.

After changing CDI mode from GPS to LOC1, you need to click again on the autopilot NAV button, and then the APR button to capture the glideslope.

I don't understand how we can be getting such different results on these things. I just tried David's flight from KHEG to KJAX ILS 26. Loaded the approach on the ground. Flew GPS with the AP to about 1 mile before TIKRY then manually switched the CDI to LOC1. The AP continued flying to intercept the localizer (it didn't disconnect). I pushed APPR about 1 mile before DALTN and it intercepted and tracked all the way down.

I don't get it.

We are getting some crazy results. I just completed a flight from KCVC to KATL Run 27R, (ILS freq 111.3), I clicked on CDI, approach, it caught the glide slope, was coming down very nice, then it drifted off course, had to manually fly it over. It was lined up perfectly.

Sigh, going to try it Tim's way :)

Edit-Tim's way did work, came right down on Run 26. Good thing I was on ILS, could not see the runway because of the thunderstorm!

Edited by davidc2
Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

I don't understand how we can be getting such different results on these things. I just tried David's flight from KHEG to KJAX ILS 26. Loaded the approach on the ground. Flew GPS with the AP to about 1 mile before TIKRY then manually switched the CDI to LOC1. The AP continued flying to intercept the localizer (it didn't disconnect). I pushed APPR about 1 mile before DALTN and it intercepted and tracked all the way down.

I don't get it.

Are you using the default G1000, Working Title's Legacy G1000 or the Marketplace Working Title G1000NXi? I'm using the Marketplace Working Title G1000NXi, sorry I should have said that to begin with.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Are you using the default G1000, Working Title's Legacy G1000 or the Marketplace Working Title G1000NXi? I'm using the Marketplace Working Title G1000NXi, sorry I should have said that to begin with.

I’m using the default G1000. Maybe that’s the difference. I thought about trying the Marketplace G1000NXi, but there is enough about this sim that seems like beta already…:rolleyes:

Please take note in the first screenshot. C172 at MALLE. Change CDI to LOC1. HDI bug set on 275 degrees to hold aircraft while NAV is off. Press APR, white GP appears. Press NAV, no joy, it's locked out. Press APR, nothing. Note altitude. No working glideslope.

Screenshot (1).png r.png

Screenshot (2) r.png

I'm using the one from the Marketplace, and when I did as Tim described, it worked :) just tested it on a flight from KHEG to KJAX, using JA as a waypoint , turned to approach runway 8 (ILS), hit the NAV button to change from ROL to GPS

Please take note in the first screenshot. C172 at MALLE. Change CDI to LOC1. HDI bug set on 275 degrees to hold aircraft while NAV is off. Press APR, white GP appears. Press NAV, no joy, it's locked out. Press APR, nothing. Note altitude. No working glideslope.

MSFS GARMIN G1000 NXI by Working Title Simulations since day 1.

MSFS GARMIN G1000 NXI by Working Title Simulations since day 1.

After changing CDI mode from GPS to LOC1, first you need to click on the autopilot NAV button, and then the APR button to capture the glideslope.

After changing CDI mode from GPS to LOC1, first you need to click on the autopilot NAV button, and then the APR button to capture the glideslope.

I have been doing that with mixed results. I hit the APR button and get the GS indication on the annunciator. I then push HDG to keep it on course when the NAV goes off. I change the CDI from GPS to LOC1. I then push the NAV button, and then the APR button to capture the glideslope.

I have got the LOC1 green arrow to align with the runway heading for the first time today. The next two attempts failed. I did find thing under Options, Data, settings. The Data Online Function was turned off. I haven't touched that setting before today. Another peculiar thing is you have to be careful WHERE you activate the approach at. The plane will fly course on the HOLD portion if you activate it there.

Making progress anyway. Thanks for the input.