Can't update or start MSFS 2020. Help please!

I've had a functional installation of MSFS on my Windows 10 system for many months. Previous updates have downloaded from the MS Store without issues. I believe I have Sim Update 4 as the latest update. After being away from MSFS for a couple of months, I've attempted to start it, expecting Sim Update 5 and the latest hotfix(es) to be installed.

MSFS starts and immediately presents the box regarding mandatory updates. When clicked, MSFS closes and MS Store opens, but no updates start downloading. Browsing through MS Store presents no way to manually start MSFS updates that I can find. Going to the Installed section of MS Store shows MSFS as being installed, but it is not listed in the Downloads and Updates section of MS Store. (Why isn't MSFS listed in the Windows 10 Settings-Uninstall a Program list of installed programs?) Clicking on the Update All button in the Downloads and Updates section of MS Store updates other things, but nothing for MSFS.

I have signed out and in to my Microsoft account. I have reset MS Store in Windows 10, and restarted MSFS at least 10 times with no change. MSFS cannot be run without updating and I cannot get it to update.

I have found a few posts with suggestions but none seem to work for me.

How do I resolve this? Thanks.

Edited by ed1

Going to the Installed section of MS Store shows MSFS as being installed

If you click on the Microsoft Flight Simulator title in MS Store - Installed, the preview video will launch with the message "This program is installed" or similar. That will then change to "Downloading Update" and the initial update of 400mb-500mb will download, then MSFS will launch automatically and download the main update.

but it is not listed in the Downloads and Updates section of MS Store. (Why isn't MSFS listed in the Windows 10 Settings-Uninstall a Program list of installed programs?)

MSFS isn't a windows program, it's a Windows 10 App and you'll find it in: Start > Settings > Apps.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks, Tim. But the preview trailer launches without any message about the program being installed and runs through to its conclusion. Nothing is shown about updating, nor does the update start automatically.

Some more info: The MSFS Community folder has only a shortcut to the FBW a320neo and an AFC Bridge folder relating to my Honeycomb hardware.

It's hard to understand what's happened as the computer was unplugged from power and internet for 2 months and MSFS was working fine before that. Windows was updated the other day before I tried running MSFS.

Edited by ed1

Have you tried logging out of your Xbox account, restarting your PC and then logging back in?

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I need to correct what I said above. The message about MSFS being Installed is displaying in MS Store, but it does not change to Updating.

Logging out, rebooting, logging in to Xbox on Xbox Console app made no change. Still can't download updates or keep MSFS open.

This is very frustrating. I guess I'll have to start thinking about finding the proper way to uninstall MSFS and reinstall. What a nightmare! The update system seems finicky, to say the least.

Edited by ed1

The update is very finicky! I had my own frustrations, uninstalled MSFS, still would not install. Then the 1st Hotfix came out and for some reason, that worked for me.

The advice given previously is the best!

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

@davidc2, what is the best way to uninstall and reinstall? The current install is to a specified NVME drive other than the Windows OS drive. (Of course, there are MSFS files on the Windows OS (C:\) drive as well.) Do I have to worry about manually deleting files?

Once I uninstall, will the MS Store know that I have purchased MSFS and allow a new download/install of the latest version?

@davidc2, what is the best way to uninstall and reinstall? The current install is to a specified NVME drive other than the Windows OS drive. (Of course, there are MSFS files on the Windows OS (C:\) drive as well.) Do I have to worry about manually deleting files?

Once I uninstall, will the MS Store know that I have purchased MSFS and allow a new download/install of the latest version?

I used CC Cleaner to uninstall the program. I also had mine installed on a different drive (D) and it took care of both C & D drives.

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

[SOLVED!!] At least, I think so right now.

I found some threads on a MS forum that suggested that Windows MSFS users must install the new XBox app from the MS Store. (I already had the XBox Companion Console app, but apparently that is not enough. It might not even be needed anymore, but not sure about that. After installing the new XBox app, it quickly located my installed MSFS app and it was easy to click within the XBox app to start the download. It was less than 1GB, IIRC. Then MSFS was able to start and check for updates the normal way and a further 40GB download happened. My MSFS version changed to 1.18.15.0, which I believe is the latest.

I started MSFS and made a short VFR flight, which went without incident.

I did not have to uninstall/reinstall MSFS. I did remove the AFC Bridge folder (Honeycomb-related, I think) from the Community folder before updating. There were no other folders there.

The visuals (clouds and ground from up to 4000') did not look as crisp as before. I've read that SU5 degrades graphics quality. Not sure if this was remedied with the hotfixes. Does anyone know? How can I tell if all of the hotfixes to SU5 were installed?

Edited by ed1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes 99% of the time it IS the X-box app on Win10. Like many I started off reinstalling (not something we ever want to do often) and went through all kinds of hoops trying to get MSFS loading/updating. Then by chance I found the X-box app had 'forgotten' me.

Some updates to it kill a process that is used to link MSFS to various necessary things. I have found its way easier and quicker to do this*** rather than find and patch up the duff bit - so:

***1 using App Manager - kill off X-Box App. 2 Restart PC. 3 Use Microsoft store to select and reinstall the app - job done. It always 'finds' my details automatically and then just works (until next update!!)

• 2 weeks later...

This Worked Thank You!!

[SOLVED!!] At least, I think so right now.

I found some threads on a MS forum that suggested that Windows MSFS users must install the new XBox app from the MS Store. (I already had the XBox Companion Console app, but apparently that is not enough. It might not even be needed anymore, but not sure about that. After installing the new XBox app, it quickly located my installed MSFS app and it was easy to click within the XBox app to start the download. It was less than 1GB, IIRC. Then MSFS was able to start and check for updates the normal way and a further 40GB download happened. My MSFS version changed to 1.18.15.0, which I believe is the latest.

I started MSFS and made a short VFR flight, which went without incident.

I did not have to uninstall/reinstall MSFS. I did remove the AFC Bridge folder (Honeycomb-related, I think) from the Community folder before updating. There were no other folders there.

The visuals (clouds and ground from up to 4000') did not look as crisp as before. I've read that SU5 degrades graphics quality. Not sure if this was remedied with the hotfixes. Does anyone know? How can I tell if all of the hotfixes to SU5 were installed?