Blurry Repaints

boomtisqwerty

Hey guys. I am guessing that most of you would have seen this before but when doing a particular repaint for the Tim Conrad PC-7, the textures suddenly show up blurry. I am working on this new paint scheme of the USAF on the PC-7. This has not been done before for the public and I think that it would be a big hit with the warsimmers out there so I decided to take it on. I have so far, painted it and added the mouth and USAF star logo graphics to the front and rear of the plane but when loading it up in the sim, it all shows up blurry. This has happened a couple of times on test paints but I have just taken it as something I did wrong. However, this time I am certain that I have done it correctly. This hasn't happened for any of my other 'real paints' (not experimenting with random ideas) I have done. I use GIMP 2 and dxtbmp for this project so far and plan to use paint later on. Any help guys? Thanks,

Ryan

When saving your files in DXTBmp make sure to not have a check in the mips box.

Mips are OK for AI and scenery objects, do not use them for user airplanes.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Hi Bean. I don't have either of the boxes checked in the mipmaps section. Do you think that it could be something to do with the graphics (mouth, USAF logo) I added?

Or maybe the way I exported it from GIMP. When I export from GIMP, I export the textures as a PNG, as that is the highest image quality, then open it in dxtbmp and save two copies, one as a BMP and one as a DDS. However this time I exported it as a JPEG (not as higher quality) not a PNG. This could have something to do with it. Will try exporting it as a PNG. Thanks,

Ryan

Without having the model and seeing the graphics it is hard to say exactly what the cause is.

As for exporting from GIMP, do not use .jpeg. If GIMP cannot export as a bitmap then use PNG.

.jpeg is a bad idea if you want to preserve any quality.

Exporting from GIMP as a 24bit bitmap, or PNG, then saving in DXTBmp as a 32bit extended bitmap will give you the best quality.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Ok I did that exactly how you said, tried PNG and the BMP instructions but still no result. I am starting to think that it may be the graphics which are causing the blurries. When selecting the graphics, I went onto Google Images, selected the image I wanted, 'save image as', go to GIMP and 'Open as Layers' then rescale to the correct size and export. Is there something I am missing out? Do I have to save the graphics as a PNG before I open them in GIMP? Is there anyone out there who has done a lot of public repaints for any aircraft that can fix this? Thanks,

Ryan

Archived