Editing G3000 flight plan, how to determine ils frequency

I have noticed that if I use the MSFS flight planner it often results in waypoints inserted which are different from those which Simbrief calculates and so I have the option of creating a flight plan from scratch or to use the MSFS2020 flight plan and remove waypoints and insert new ones. I have noticed that when clicking on and dragging the 'slider' on the right side that it tends to 'stick' to the mouse pointer and I have to click somewhere outside the 'box' to unattach it. Is this correct?

Also when I add a new waypoint it doesn't seem to appear in the flight plan immediately - is there something I need to do?

Also is there a method to lookup an ils frequency for a runway. I have watched a few video tutorials which do not show how the author obtained an ils frequency just how to enter it into NAV1. There are many ways to look up ils frequencies external to msfs2020 but thought there should be a lookup withing msfs2020.

Lastly is there a quick way of exiting msfs2020 from say a flight back to the desktop instead of pressing the ESC key then selecting EXIT and then having to press the ESC key again and select EXIT to desktop.

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Sorry I don't use Simbrief, I only use the default World Map flight planner. It's possible to see ILS frequencies on the World Map by clicking on Open Filters at the bottom left of the screen, then scroll down the list and switch everything in the last section to On.

Unfortunately these settings aren't remembered, so you have to switch them on again every time.

Now zoom right in to your destination airport and click on the beacon icons at the end of each runway to open an info panel with the frequency listed at the bottom. Unfortunately the runway number isn't included for some reason so you could be left guessing.

I use Quick ILS instead. The data it uses is from 2008, and it was written for FSX/P3D so you might find an MSFS airport is missing, but most of those don't have ILS anyway. You can download Quick ILS here: https://flightsim.to/file/1629/quick-ils

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I am a neophyte with Little Navmap, but I think having and using it addresses most or all of your needs.
I-7 9700 OC to 4.7Ghz, MPG 2390 Mobo, 32 Gig ram, Dark Rock Pro fan, 1-TB SSD, 4-TB rotating drive, RTX 2070 Super, LG 34" curved monitor, Honeycomb Yoke and Throttle quadrant, Windows 10.​

Lastly is there a quick way of exiting msfs2020 from say a flight back to the desktop instead of pressing the ESC key then selecting EXIT and then having to press the ESC key again and select EXIT to desktop.

Yes there is - press Alt+Enter to toggle into Windowed mode, then click the X in the top right corner. Instant Quit.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I am a neophyte with Little Navmap, but I think having and using it addresses most or all of your needs.

I second this. Little Navmap works great.

For looking up ILS coordinates I just bookmark the Sky Vectors website. I don't understand the ILS data for some international airports so I just google it and plug in what I see. It works most of the time. Also, the G3000 itself can load the ILS in for you if you've loaded the correct airport, on the fly.

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

Thanks everyone.

I have downloaded Little NavMap and will have a look at that later.

I also downloaded quick ils and had a look - NICE. There is one problem from what I can see and that is if using 2020 in full screen mode how to you view the quick ils window?

Slightly clumsy way of a quick exit of 2020 and on the face of it I wonder if it will be a lot faster (one less mouse click). I was hoping for a single key press like ALT + E or 'windows key' + E or similar. It would have been a lot nicer method to exit quickly.

Edited by jparnold
add question how to access quick ils in full screen mode

John

Also, the G3000 itself can load the ILS in for you if you've loaded the correct airport, on the fly.

I had a suspicion that it might load automatically and will check that out - thanks.

John

I have installed little nav map and immediately noticed that it contains OLD nav data.

For example it shows Schofields airport icao YSFS yet this airport has not existed for at least 20 years and even doesn't appear in FS2020. There are not even any remnants of runways as the area was covered in housing some time ago.

Strangely it doesn't show the old Hoxton Park (icao YHOX) airport which also doesn't exist and closed in 2008, 12 years ago.

I wonder there are other airports/navaids which either don't exist anymore but also ones which do exist and are not in little nav map.

That led me to an error in FS2020. It shows an airport named Kingswood Park icao YKIS which has never existed and I should know as I have lived a short distance away for 40+ years. Also it is not at Airservices Australia web site (https://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/current/dap/AeroProcChartsTOC.htm#K) and also a goggle search of YKIS finds NOTHING.

I wonder where that came from?

John

I also downloaded LittleNavMap and at first found it to complex for the vfr flights that I fly.

After watching some Youtube videos on it, it started to dawn on me.

Start with something simple, export the flightplan to msfs and load it up. Works for me.

17-10700K, RTX3060TI, 32 ram, 500G M.2 SSD. Windows10, MSFS on 500 SSD

You are very correct about finding it 'complex' and even watching a Youtube video tutorial I had to concentrate even just to to set up the GLOBAL elevation data.

Once I did I found that the non existing airport I mentioned in an earlier post had disappeared.

I did also notice (in the video using version 2.6.4) that it doesn't support FS2020 SIDS and STARs although I downloaded version 2.6.7 so maybe that has been addressed.

Well now to create a flight plan although I am yet to discover if it creates/exports flight plans for FS2020.

John

"Well now to create a flight plan although I am yet to discover if it creates/exports flight plans for FS2020."

That is a two step process. First you save the flight plan, and secondly you export it to MSFS.

I-7 9700 OC to 4.7Ghz, MPG 2390 Mobo, 32 Gig ram, Dark Rock Pro fan, 1-TB SSD, 4-TB rotating drive, RTX 2070 Super, LG 34" curved monitor, Honeycomb Yoke and Throttle quadrant, Windows 10.​

Also is there a method to lookup an ils frequency for a runway. I have watched a few video tutorials which do not show how the author obtained an ils frequency just how to enter it into NAV1. There are many ways to look up ils frequencies external to msfs2020 but thought there should be a lookup withing msfs2020.

There is. Starting from map. Down at the bottom, Open Filters, Navigation, Navaids On, Choose departure, zoom in as much as possible to either end of the runway (the end where you are most likely or wish to land) and click on the little square with the circle inside. The ILS frequency will show in Navaid. Somteimes annoyingly there is a tab right on the little square, just click on the wind speed in the tab and it will show. I wanted to put a screen shot here but i don't know how. If you tell me I will.

I have installed little nav map and immediately noticed that it contains OLD nav data.

For example it shows Schofields airport icao YSFS yet this airport has not existed for at least 20 years and even doesn't appear in FS2020. There are not even any remnants of runways as the area was covered in housing some time ago.

Strangely it doesn't show the old Hoxton Park (icao YHOX) airport which also doesn't exist and closed in 2008, 12 years ago.

I wonder there are other airports/navaids which either don't exist anymore but also ones which do exist and are not in little nav map.

That led me to an error in FS2020. It shows an airport named Kingswood Park icao YKIS which has never existed and I should know as I have lived a short distance away for 40+ years. Also it is not at Airservices Australia web site (https://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/current/dap/AeroProcChartsTOC.htm#K) and also a goggle search of YKIS finds NOTHING.

I wonder where that came from?

I don't know much about Little Navmap's database, but the author of the software has advised users to switch the elevation data so that you aren't using his original database for elevation information about a flight plan. He provides instructions once you see a warning sign on the elevation chart, which were easy enough to follow. I now have very reliable elevation data about all my flight plans, allowing me to plan ahead for how high or low I should stay for specific legs of my trip. (I normally fly smaller planes so I prefer to stay lower. I guess this is less relevant in a jetliner).

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

How to find ILS frequency. Starting from map. Down at the bottom, Open Filters, Navigation, Navaids On, Choose departure, zoom in as much as possible to either end of the runway (the end where you are most likely or wish to land) and click on the little square with the circle inside. The ILS frequency will show in Navaid. Somteimes annoyingly there is a tab right on the little square, just click on the wind speed in the tab and it will show in Navaid

ILS.png (253.9

ILS.png

There is. Starting from map. Down at the bottom, Open Filters, Navigation, Navaids On, Choose departure, zoom in as much as possible to either end of the runway (the end where you are most likely or wish to land) and click on the little square with the circle inside. The ILS frequency will show in Navaid. Somteimes annoyingly there is a tab right on the little square, just click on the wind speed in the tab and it will show. I wanted to put a screen shot here but i don't know how. If you tell me I will.

I've managed to put screenshot. See above

Thanks everyone.

I now know that I need to select OPEN FILTERS and SET NAVAIDS ON EVERYTIME I start FS2020 which is a nuisance. I would have thought that the user should be able to toggle this ON and OFF at will.

I also notice that this results in an icon displayed near the approach of each runway which has an ILS AND that they are 'named' such as ISS, ISB, ISY, ISW and I have no idea what it represents. IMHO Would have been nice to have a 'feather' displayed.

fs2020_map_ils.jpg

I also assumed (verified by you as correct) that the flight plan from NavMap can be exported to FS2020 and need to find out/work out how to load such a flight plan and expect the video tutorial I download will reveal that to me.

Thanks again

fs2020_error.jpg

John

Here is an excellent movie from BadGamr on the subject of making a flight plan in Little Navmap.

Here is an excellent movie from BadGamr on the subject of making a flight plan in Little Navmap.

Thanks for that. That is one of the video tutorials I watched to learn Little NavMap - and what an excellent tool it (NavMap) is.

BTW I have no idea how I managed to include the image of the error which belonged to another thread I had created :confused: - sorry for that.

John