Really Simple Question -- CJ4

Would someone please tell me how you set a GPS destination in the CJ4? There is no "Direct to . . ." button. So let's say --

(1) you haven't entered a flight plan at the outset; OR

(2) you wish to divert to another destination.

What do you do? I've been fiddling with this off and on for a few months, and am stymied. Other plane consoles present the same problem.

Thanks all,

Mac6737

If you're using the Working Title CJ4 mod (https://github.com/Working-Title-MSFS-Mods/fspackages/releases/tag/cj4-v0.10.2) they've created a manual online which explains everything: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qzxPMTSQRkvau8QOi7xUqNvjx9rbww_qHlso5AT5OnI/edit. The manual can be downloaded in the document format of your choice and printed out if you wish.

In the FMS/Direct To section:

Click the DIR button.

Click the key next to your chosen waypoint.

Click the EXEC button.

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

If you're using the Working Title CJ4 mod (https://github.com/Working-Title-MSFS-Mods/fspackages/releases/tag/cj4-v0.10.2) they've created a manual online which explains everything: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qzxPMTSQRkvau8QOi7xUqNvjx9rbww_qHlso5AT5OnI/edit. The manual can be downloaded in the document format of your choice and printed out if you wish.

In the FMS/Direct To section:

Click the DIR button.

Click the key next to your chosen waypoint.

Click the EXEC button.

I have read the WT manual(s) for the CJ4 - BUT how do I get the waypoint into the FMS if I have not already loaded a flight plan?

I know how to add a waypoint to a leg but if I don't have a leg (no flight plan entered) HOW do I create a new waypoint?

I am sure there is a simple answer but it escapes me despite 30+ years operating GPS navigation equipment and 60-years on state of the art computer equipment.

What obvious detail have I missed?

i7-9700K / 32GB DDR4 memory / RTX 3060 Ti with 8GB /Flight Sim on SSD and Win10 on separate SSD / 375 MegaBit / Second internet connection / HP Reverb G2

You can create a complete flight plan from scratch, see section 5-8 of the WT CJ4 manual.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

You can create a complete flight plan from scratch, see section 5-8 of the WT CJ4 manual.

Maybe I am thinking too much like a C-172 VFR pilot

All I want to do is enter a single waypoint and go direct to it - is that possible with NO flight plan loaded into FMS?

I'm pretty good with the CJ4 FMS and other Avionics but the Direct To with no flight plan has me stumped. Maybe that is not something that is done in real life?

I sold all my GameStop stock at a huge profit and just purchased a used Cj4. I want to go for a sight seeing trip to show off San Diego county to my guests. No flight plan - just get up there and tootle about?

Not something that is done?

Edited by tacomasailor
i7-9700K / 32GB DDR4 memory / RTX 3060 Ti with 8GB /Flight Sim on SSD and Win10 on separate SSD / 375 MegaBit / Second internet connection / HP Reverb G2

Not in the CJ4, the FMS requires a flight plan with Departure and Arrival airports and waypoint Legs in between. THEN you can select or add a waypoint and fly direct to it.

Glad to see that I'm not alone in my befuddlement.

I believe this sums it up:

1. There is no simple answer to my "simple question."

2. You can't add a destination if you haven't entered a flight plan before takeoff.

3. A flight plan cannot consist of departure and arrival points, but must include intermediate waypoints.

4. To change the destination, you must first delete a waypoint and enter a new one. Both of these operations are, let's say, "challenging."

5. The manual recommended relates to a CJ4 other than the default that comes with the sim. As with most (maybe all) default planes, there ain't no stinkin' manual!

Mac6737

That's right, the WT CJ4 mod aims to be as realistic as possible - if it can't be done in real life, it can't be done in the sim - and the default planes are also designed along those lines.

"Challenging" is the word. If there's one thing this sim excels at, it's in making us all Be Better!

Edited by tiger1962

Come to think of it, if you know the frequency of the waypoint you're heading for, you can enter it into the NAV1 and engage NAV mode to go to that waypoint. If you have a next waypoint, you can enter that frequency into NAV2, and after reaching the NAV1 waypoint, switch to NAV2 and so on.