Cockpit Controls

Hello all, (well those that read this obviously).

Does anyone know if you can program keyboard for mouse controls. i.e. on garmin display you can click on the map range to extend it, is it possible to have a keystroke do this?

Probably dumb question as no doubt hidden on the site is the answer I am looking for.

I wish you a Covid free 2021

There are some Garmin functions that can be assigned to peripherals, I doubt there is one for the map display.

The heading and altitude bug knobs can be assigned, that's a big help.

AP on / off can be assigned.

There is a whole section in "controls" for autopilot stuff.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

Hello all, (well those that read this obviously).

Does anyone know if you can program keyboard for mouse controls.

You can program any function to a keyboard command with FSUIPC7, available here: https://secure.simmarket.com/john-dowson-fsuipc7-for-msfs.phtml

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

You can program any function to a keyboard command with FSUIPC7,

To offer a different view, I believe that the way Asobo has set up the "controls" is the easiest possible way to go about it. No matter how you do it there is a learning curve and I think the time spent learning is best spent on something that is likely to be permenant and unchanging, lest one keeps going in circles learning this method and that method ad infinitum.

What is missing from the Asobo method is any kind of tutorial, so I will offer this to anyone wishing to solve their "assignments" dilemma.

When you enter the flight simulator "controls" page you should know what key, switch, slider, button or joystick you intend to program. I'll assume that you know about what you want to make that control do but you might not be sure what the simulator will provide for whatever it is that you're trying to do.

Begin by first checking what the control you are about to program is currently set to do.

Start by selecting the device you want to program from the top line ie: Keyboard, mouse, pedals, yoke, controller or whatever. You might have to scroll left to bring up the device you're looking for.

Now that you've selected the device, go to: FILTER and use the arrow to change it from assigned to ALL. You have to keep track that this is set to all as it will go back to assigned when you're not looking and cause frustration.

On the second line above FILTER, you will see a box labeled (in faded lettering) "search by input". Click on this box and the "search by input" will disappear and the box will turn grey. (Note it will not display "search by input" again, you'll have to remember this is the box for testing what a control does) Now, with the box grey, operate whatever switch or button you want to use. And you'll see what commands are already programmed for the control. Some things will have six or more things assigned to them, some buttons, especially in a newly installed device, may come up blank: they have nothing assigned to them. If they have nothing assigned to them, you're good to go on to assigning a command function to that control.

If there are already assignments you'll have to decide if you really want to use "this" button, maybe the functions it already has are a better use for the button. On the other hand, the command you are assigning may be able to co-exist with the pre-programmed command. One example of this is if you wanted to set a button for "toggle flight director" and the button you wanted to use is set for "toggle pushback", in that case you could go ahead and make the assignment because neither would interfere with the other.

I would like to give more examples, but as I look at my setup I have very few cases of multiple assignments, because I've gone so heavy on getting rid of assignments that I don't want to use. I think everyone should do that. If you see something you don't intend to use with the planes you are currently flying, then go ahead and delete it, if you need it later you probably won't want to assign it where it is anyway. If all your assignments are solo for each button, you will never have a conflict, and control conflicts are the cause of much distress for Flight Sim users.

At this point you know which control you want to program and you have found it available for your new command.

Now comes the easy part.

Begin by clicking on the little x in the grey box you've just been using to check assignments. When you do this the right side of your screen comes to life with the menu of options available which is broken up into 12 categories:

Miscellaneous

Instruments & Systems

Camera

Autopilot

Brakes

Flight Control Surfaces

Landing Gear

Lights

Menu

Power management

Radio

VR

Most of these categories have subcategories and the menus are easy to navigate and usually (but not always!) intuitive. Unfortunately, when you first enter the menu system Asobo has chosen to have every menu/sub-menu expanded so as to make the menus appear more complex than they are, I suspect this is what puts many people off and leads them to ask for help or turn to third party programs.

Simply go through the menus and close the sub-menus until you have just the 12 top menus and things will become clear.

I suggest that everyone who hasn't done so should now look through all the menus and sub-menus to get an idea of what's available.

The assignment for whatever button you want to use should be easy at this point.

Edited by sfojimbo
i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

sfojimbo thanks for your detailed reply. Much of it I am conversant with. The difficulty is i suspect that some of the controls are aircraft specific. In this example it is the garmin screen for pilot and co pilot onthe Daher turbo. There is a button which can be toggled to increase the map range, i was hoping to place this and other similar mouse actions onto a stream deck. I will have to have a closer look at the mouse assignments but i think they are quite restricted and not all assignable being closed written in the original software. Should that be the case i will just have to master it.

Mouse assignments aren't restricted any more than any other type of device, beyond the fact that mice don't have joysticks or sliders: functions which need axis control won't work on a mouse.

Go back to the controls page, select the mouse while being sure the filter is set to all. Then navigate to the autopilot part of the controls menu and look at the commands available; any of those functions can be controlled by a mouse button; although, only the center button of a 3 button mouse would be available for use. The mouse has no restrictions beyond what I mentioned above.

Your problem is that Asobo didn't provide a command to increase the map range. So it's not a limitation of the mouse, it's just that what you want is not a supported function of FS2020.