fs2020 VR recommendations....

Hope you enjoy the Quest 2. I presume you already have / will be getting Facebook account? I have the Quest 1 (as well as the G2) but won’t be buying the Quest 2 because of the Facebook demands.

You MUST have a Facebook account and your real name etc must be given. Any false details will result in your brand new device being locked.

I don’t know if it’s the same with the Quest 2, but with the first one you don’t need to splash out £80 for the cable, despite them telling you otherwise. I bought these two items from Amazon...

Anker PowerLine+ USB-C to USB 3.0 cable (6ft/1.8m), High Durability, for USB Type-C Devices Including Galaxy S8/S8+/S9/S10, MacBook, iPad Pro 2018, Sony XZ, LG V20 G5 G6, HTC 10, Xiaomi 5 and More

UGREEN USB 3.0 Extension Cable Male to Female USB Extension Cable, USB Extender Lead Compatible with Gold Plated for Oculus Rift, PS VR, HTC Vive, Card Reader, Keyboard, Printer, Scanner, Camera (2M)

The current prices are £8.99 and £10.99

My Quest works while connected to the pc with these. There are other alternatives too.

I have occasionally had audio issues when the sound hasn’t worked but that might be down to my setup. Certainly a lot cheaper than paying for the official cable.

But.. I don’t know if the same will work with the Quest 2. No doubt if you google it there will be others trying to find cheaper alternatives.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Steve for that additional info, and very useful to me right now... yes It does say facebook on the box.... I have my personal facebook account using my real name and details as on here, are you saying I have to open another account, sorry that part was not clear this end...... Not knowing anything technical about VR now begins the nightmare of setting it up..... Edited by daspinall

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

You’re current Facebook account sounds fine. You won’t have a problem.

It’s if people try to use an alias or any other incorrect details that they will brick the device and with no exceptions.

I personally have no interest in Facebook. When I bought my “Oculus” Quest they said the only requirements were to have either an Oculus account (which I had, due to having a Rift at the time) or a Facebook account.

Us Quest (one) owners are now being told that our headsets will stop working fully in 2 years unless we open a Facebook account, despite their earlier promise of not needing one.

I will not be opening an account.

Rant over :)

You might want to look into some cheaper cables though.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Steve it came with charger cable but no G2 to usb so just ordered one on amazon arrives tomorrow.... so I've charged and parked it until tomorrow..... This purchase all came about because Scan have no g2 in stock yet and not sure when they will be in..... Edited by daspinall

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Steve it came with charger cable but no c3 to usb so just ordered one on amazon arrives tomorrow.... so I've charged and parked it until tomorrow.....

Apparently, I have not read those reviews. I have personal and practical experience with the RTX 2080 and it works beautifully with my setup. The new MSFS 2020 also looks fantastic with my headset. I have NO Problems with my computer running MSFS 2020. Perhaps, you are being misled? My GeForce GTX 2080 Video Card Has 8Gb of memory, so no, you don't need 10Gb.

Thanks for the good information - I plan to upgrade to a RTX 3060 when they become available and then an I7-9700K and another 16 GB of memory. It sounds like that system would drive a VR system nicely.

I can easily afford a 3070 but it sounds like that would just be overkill.

i7-9700K / 32GB DDR4 memory / RTX 3060 Ti with 8GB /Flight Sim on SSD and Win10 on separate SSD / 375 MegaBit / Second internet connection / HP Reverb G2

Thanks for the good information - I plan to upgrade to a RTX 3060 when they become available and then an I7-9700K and another 16 GB of memory. It sounds like that system would drive a VR system nicely.

I can easily afford a 3070 but it sounds like that would just be overkill.

maybe not an overkill if you have to replace it again for the next on coming generation of software. I'd say if you can afford it get it you will be future proof to some extent....

Steve it came with charger cable but no G2 to usb so just ordered one on amazon arrives tomorrow.... so I've charged and parked it until tomorrow..... This purchase all came about because Scan have no g2 in stock yet and not sure when they will be in.....

It was the same when I got my Quest. If I remember correctly I nipped up to Tesco for a cable. Hope it all works well.

Regards

Steve

I was thinking in bed last night... Hang on a sec, it wants bluetooth on my phone to talk to the app.... well it hit me hangon I have bluetooth on my rig.... so could I not connect to bluetooth on the reg instead of a cable... and then I fell asleep...

Is it still the Oculus app or is it now called Facebook app? On the Quest one, I would use the Oculus app sometimes to view the store (rather than viewing via the headset) and also to stream game footage from the Quest to my phone/iPad. I didn’t really need the app apart from that. Maybe it’s changed now.

The basic usb-c cable was to transfer things to and from the pc, with the Quest in developer mode. When the link cable came out, I bought the cheaper (but good quality) cable & extension from Amazon. This basically turned the Quest into a Rift!

There is a way you maybe able to connect to the pc without a cable but I can’t remember how it was done, as it never worked for me. You have to download an app onto the pc.. transfer it to the Quest (using the cable) and you’re supposed to be able to run pc games on the Quest without a cable. You may have to google for more help as I can’t remember how to do it.

Regards

Steve

its the Oculus app all its needed for is setup and update..... and all I shall use it for .... it has a shop you can download games to the head set but I'm not interested in that. I have some great games on steam and are VR ready... not looked into the VR on MS Store yet I have FS on there and all of the Halo I've yet to get into..... I Just stole a few hours sleep felt like a zombie all morning after a restless night.... so in the next hour I will set it up for FS (I hope) and dive in pun intended.... As for the PC i downloaded that app too. now to figure it all out...... again thanks for the support Steve much appreciated.....

Well I got it up and running as stand alone for tonight my eyes are going..... all I can say is wow the resolution is acceptable, I'm impressed... the Reverb must really be out there....... for a test headset it's perfect....... hopefully tomorrow I will do the pc setup...... I just took a balloon ride up to the stratosphear, awesome.........

Not sure if people with VR Oculus quest 2 know about this... but you can have prescription lenses to replace the ones that ship with the headset.... get this for less than £60. I'm sorting it out tomorrow If I can get my prescription details for far sight from the opticians ASAP...

https://vroptician.com/prescription-lens-inserts/oculus-quest2/

Not sure if people with VR Oculus quest 2 know about this... but you can have prescription lenses to replace the ones that ship with the headset.... get this for less than £60. I'm sorting it out tomorrow If I can get my prescription details for far sight from the opticians ASAP...

https://vroptician.com/prescription-lens-inserts/oculus-quest2/

I think the prescription lenses fit inside the headset, rather then actually replace the ones already in the headset. It’d be like leaving you glasses permanently in the headset.

Sounds like you’re enjoying it anyway :) despite you not getting any sleep LOL

I’m on the night shift as we speak (currently getting my lunch) but I finish tonight for 10 days. Time for lots of flying in VR! :)

Regards

Steve

now you mention it that makes a lot of sense.... they would not be any thicker than normal spectacle lenses..... enjoy fs heaven.......send us some posy cards......:)

Apart from falling asleep for 15 mins earlier, I haven’t been to bed yet after a 12 hours night shift. I’ve been flying LOL

One of my favourite aircraft is the Mooney M20R Ovation by Carenado. The passenger door opens & I discovered today that you can pull the sun visors down. The left hand side visor has loads of tiny writing on it (take off speeds etc) You can read it clearly with the Reverb G2!

I have assigned one of the buttons on my Honeycomb yoke to activate the copilot. I know he often has suicidal tendencies but handing the controls over to him and then moving my viewpoint to the back seat of the plane is fantastic in VR. Just sitting in the back seat, watching the scenery... brilliant!

Regards

Steve

Well connected to FS jumped the TBM on the apron and it blew my socks away.... I need to mess with the setting/finetune and become familiar with the tech then I'm in flightsim heaven.. two things have blown me away in the last 8 months, the VR and the E-bike... catch you in the skies...........

edit: ok three things MSFS

I downloaded SIDEQUEST for win10 it talks to quest 2 and you can change all manner of things....

Reason I have it is you can up the resolutions, change texture size and refresh rates... and recorded videos @ 60fps 1080

If you don't mind spending some extra money, you can get the "Triple Head To Go" by Matrox. That is what I have used for triple monitor cockpit views for years. And it works perfectly in MSFS 2020. It stretches the cockpit view across a 3 monitor system without any distortions. The only down side is it costs around $250. Fortunately, I purchased it about 12 or so years ago for $150, which was outrageous back then. It works great with MSFS 2020 or any other flight simulation. No distortions or anything. It is available at Amazon. I would get the digital version if you are looking for one.

Just pulled out my old “TripleHead2Go” - I haven’t used it for years & I’m guessing it might be even older than yours.

It has VGA connections only. The three TV’s I use have vga inputs so no problems there... but my RTX 2080ti doesn’t. I don’t think I’ll bother trying to buy adapters & cables LOL (although chances are I’ll have some vga cables somewhere)

Actually, come to think of it I think I’ve actually got a vga-display port adapter. I might look for it later.

Right.. back to VR for the time being :)

edit: I’ve got cables but the adapter I was thinking of is display port to HDMI (not vga)

Not worth wasting anymore flying time now. Besides, the vga resolution would be poor in any case

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

No worries. I’m certainly impressed with it.

I made this little clip last week.

Steve

It looks like you were walking around the cabin. Did you get up from your seat and walk around the room to do that?

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

It looks like you were walking around the cabin. Did you get up from your seat and walk around the room to do that?

I wish I could walk around like that :)

Unfortunately the room is quite small, although I can walk out of it a little with the Reverb having a long cable.

I did move around a little but mainly I was using the controller to move around (cheating a bit I know) still, it feels like you’re actually there.

Tonight I have been to Lukla (ICAO: VNLK) for the first time. Wow! I wasn’t expecting such stunning detail. You should check it out.

In VR it’s amazing. :)

Regards

Steve

...it feels like you’re actually there.

How do you operate the controls when you're in VR? Do you use the hand-thingies (I don't know what they're called) to virtually pull/push on the yoke, throttle levers, etc.? And how well does that work?

It's nice to hear that the Reverb 2 works comfortably with glasses. But I wonder how well it works if one eye is decidedly worse than the other. My left eye is bedeviled by an epiretinal membrane, meaning the macula is puckered and it doesn't have a good focal point. My right eye has to do most of the work. With both eyes working in tandem, my right eye compensates for my left eye's deficiency, rendering it unnoticeable. Assuming the Reverb headset is binocular, with each eye working independently, I'd be concerned that I'd only be seeing the sim clearly out of my right eye, and I wonder how well the VR effect would work for me. I would definitely have to demo a headset first. In the meantime ...

I'd originally intended to go the VR route with MSFS '20. Then I learned about TrackIr, and a YouTube video impressed me with its immersive quality in MSFS. Being a little worried that the VR experience might prove too immersive for my own good (and my marriage), I decided to go with TrackIR instead. Having made that decision, I invested in a physical flight yoke, throttle quadrant, a couple of instrument panels, and rudder pedals--all from Logitech. Going VR now would no doubt render all the above peripherals--except maybe the rudder pedals--moot. Yesterday, I picked up a 27" HP gaming monitor at Best Buy. I figure the monitor/TrackIR setup will be sufficiently immersive for me. But still, VR is tempting...

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Hi, my setup includes three three Saitek gauges, a Saitek Autopilot display & 43” TV’s. They have pretty much become obsolete since getting the Reverb G2 a couple of weeks ago LOL.

As much as I love having the three TVs and the immersion I get from them... you can’t beat VR. I also have a Track IR but haven’t used it in ages and I can’t see myself ever using it now. When you’re in VR, it’s not unusual to get that feeling in the pit of your stomach as you are descending or even just flying around LOL

As for the controls.... some flight sims allow you to use the headset’s own hand held controllers. MSFS doesn’t. I personally wouldn’t want to use them that way anyway (it would use their batteries up)

Even though you can’t see your yoke..joystick or whatever... you soon get to know where they are and can use them just the same. In a car.. how many times do you look down when changing gear? You don’t because you know where it is. You’ll find it’s the same in VR. I have a Honeycomb yoke & Saitek throttles (at the moment) plus CH pedals. I can use them in VR no problem, simply by touch.

Of course I can no longer use the Saitek panels but I’m not bothered. VR is so much worth it. You just don’t get the 1:1 scale & perspective looking at a flat screen (or even three screens!)

Regarding your eyes... I also have a weak eye. About twenty years ago I had a detached retina in my right eye & so it’s a lot more blurry than my left eye (& even that isn’t perfect LOL) but I haven’t found it affecting my VR experience at all.

I’m on holiday at the moment for a few days. So far I’ve spent most of my time flying in VR :)

I’ve had every version of Microsoft Flight Sim since 5.1 but this one blows me away!

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

I also have a Track IR but haven’t used it in ages and I can’t see myself ever using it now. When you’re in VR, it’s not unusual to get that feeling in the pit of your stomach as you are descending or even just flying around LOL

....Even though you can’t see your yoke..joystick or whatever... you soon get to know where they are and can use them just the same. In a car.. how many times do you look down when changing gear? You don’t because you know where it is. You’ll find it’s the same in VR. I have a Honeycomb yoke & Saitek throttles (at the moment) plus CH pedals. I can use them in VR no problem, simply by touch.

Regards

Steve

Thanks, all good information, especially re. weak eyes. I'll start out with TrackIR, but I may well end up in VR.

Best,

Steve, also.

I couldn’t agree more. Only this afternoon I found myself putting my right arm up to lean against the seat next to me... but of course the seat didn’t actually exist LOL

I find myself doing things like this all the time. You’re brain is fooled into thinking it/you are actually there :)

I’ve just been trying to capture a bit more from MSFS. It must be down to my audio outputs but it doesn’t capture the sound correctly, so please accept my apologies (& the video is a bit shaky, sorry)

http://www.steveharding.com/msfs_vr.mp4

Videos don’t really do VR justice. The fighter jet in the clip is the MB-339

The gauges are crystal clear with the G2, as you can see.

Regards

Steve

Haha, I really wish that VR was for me as it looks really immersive but I tried it a few years back and within 10 mins was nearly chucking my guts up with nausea. Lol. Watching your video I could feel the feelings coming back again.

Perhaps with the increase in res since I tried it I may not still struggle but I think i'll stick with my home cockpit. I like the physicality of knob switching etc.

Enjoy

Stinger

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk