MSFS shuts Down PC

Ok this is weird.

My main PC that I use for MSFS was a I7-9700F with a Super GTX2060 and 48 gigs of ram. Worked great. I decided to upgrade the CPU to a I9-9700k. That machine rocks.

I bought a new motherboard, 32 GB ram SSD for the I7-9700. Had a AMD RTX-870 8gb card. So i put it together. Loaded MSFS and ran it. Did a pretty dam good job of running it.. After 10 mins or so ...........poof PC shuts down. It did this 3 times before I decided to install X-Plane and Prepar3d 4.5 and see if these caused the same scenario. They did not cause any issues whatsoever. Performed 3 1 hour flights in both I am guessing that the CPU cooler might not be up to the task of MSFS as it seems kind of cheesy. It came off the original I5- 3rd gen Mobo.

I ordered a better CPU cooler.

We'll see.

I have seen on the Inner-Webs that MSFS has caused some PC shutting down.

Yes, sounds a lot like overheating issue. I would download a hardware monitor software, like openhardwaremonitor, cpuid etc. if you have not allready and check all temperatures to confirm. It could also be power related issue, so I suggest to pinpoint the exact problem before buying new hardware.

My MSFS 2020 doesn't shut down the PC, but it does crash during loading, approximately 100% of the time. I know this is a huge programming project, but it is still very disappointing that there isn't a "fall back" provision that allows the software to run, with some limitations, under Win10Pro 2004.

I am running an I5-4690K CPU@3.50GHz with 32 GB installed RAM and 64-bit operating system.

The mobo has a modest Intel HD Graphics4600 and the add-on graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 640. I can see why this hardware doesn't run MSFS 2020 well, but why no "limited" functionality?

I appreciate the warning during loading: "Your computer does not meet the minimum requirements. As a result, you may experience errors during the game." However, it would be most helpful to know what the shortfall is in my computer system, short of buying a complete new system.

Glad to have MSFSX as a fallback.