Can You Enter GPS Destination with the Keyboard?

In FSX and P3D, you could set the GPS destination (in most, but not all planes) by using the knob to activate the cursor and then typing in your four-letter code with the keyboard. Apparently this does not work in FS2020. Another thread here correctly describes the method I doped out for myself, which involves using the outer knob to move the cursor one space, and then using the inner knob TO SCROLL THROUGH ALL THE LETTERS AND NUMBERS UNTIL YOU GET TO THE CORRECT ONE! Rinse and repeat 4 times for a standard 4-letter code. Takes a couple of minutes -- and just try doing it in flight! This is ridiculous.

Am I missing something?

Mac6737

No I think you are correct Mac.

While playing around trying to get the Garmin to work I accidentally deleted my entire flight plan. Not only could I not enter the destination to fly direct, there is no way to retrieve and reload the plan either.

Obviously another Asobo "WIP"...

Vern.

Genuine question - do all Garmin aircraft have a keyboard? I know that for instance, the craft cub in game has a virtual keyboard built in but my understanding is that in some aircraft the actual input method is knob twiddling and this is what is being simulated.

I stand to be corrected. I also wouldn’t say no to keyboard entry because it is a PITA. But with autopilot holding heading and altitude, not too much of a pain.

Genuine question - do all Garmin aircraft have a keyboard? I know that for instance, the craft cub in game has a virtual keyboard built in but my understanding is that in some aircraft the actual input method is knob twiddling and this is what is being simulated.

I stand to be corrected. I also wouldn’t say no to keyboard entry because it is a PITA. But with autopilot holding heading and altitude, not too much of a pain.

No, not all. But some do.

What about the FMS?

Yeah, realistically few smaller GA planes have keyboards that have G1000's

More expensive planes like the Diamond Aircraft allow them as options, but I understand the frustration. Realistic or not, I'm not knobbing through the whole alphabet. On G1000's I just do the flight plan in world view.

G3000's are much easier. I build flight plans all the time in aircraft in FS here.

I'm guessing MS will allow keyboard input to make it easier.

That being said, in "real life" you do sit there knobbing around for 30 minutes.

G3000: