FSX - the end?

pomak249

FSX will be around for a long long time and so will the faithful simmer crowd that will continue playing it. Yes the numbers will decrease in the coming years but as others have pointed out FS2004 is still cookin and so are the sims WAY before that.

For me X-Plane 11 is my primary sim but FSX sits alongside it and I will use it regularly too!

The reasons are simple:

1. I have invested a lot of time and money into FSX

2. Because of #1 I have it looking great (Global Orbx etc)

3. I do not like photo scenery and so the new sim does not appeal to me

4. I dont have to stay hooked up to the internet for the best experience

5. I dont have a PC that can even run the new sim (12yr old i7 920)

Thats not to say the new sim does not look great - it does. But I just dont feel any desire to switch yet. And when I do I will STILL keep FSX and XP11!

Don't overlook the uncommon aircraft. In FSX I can fly Russian planes like the Tu-128, Yak-26, concept planes like the Boeing Blended Wing, imaginary birds like the "Mig-31" Firefox, and countless other military aircraft of all nations. Not so, not yet, in FS2020.

This is an excellent point. I really love the old Russian and Ukranian airplanes and FSX lets me fly loads of them. Even XP11 does not have many such planes.

Even XP11 does not have many such planes.

Have you had a look in the X-Plane section of the file library? I think you'll be surprised at what you can find.

Also...if you don't see the aircraft you're looking for in X-Plane 11, you can easily update an older model n X-Plane's included Plane Maker:D

All good fun!!

Dominic

Also FSX will not cook your hardware.

According to Windows Gamebar, the new game was pushing my GTX1650 to 99%. FSX running at around 30% in a populated area.

Hi Vern,

It will do, as FSX is primarily CPU driven. Your GPU is used, but not nearly as much as its younger brother. FSX is using an engine which is almost 15 years old (roots go back even further), and made at a time when single core, high frequency CPU's were in their prime.

Today's modern games use engines based around multithreaded workloads (Vulkan, DirectX 12 for example), and are quite different.

Dominic

How come i have a GTX1060 with just 3gb vram

and its calm and silent with low fan in 1920x1080

i5 7600 16ram here, so maybe there is a bottleneck somewere

Did you jnstall Ge force Experience?

Did you do the windows settings (process running in backwards, etc?)

Did tou check your startup Bios to see any goodie can be enabled there?

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

I planned out my simming future years ago as you could begin to see where the future would likely be. Since then nothing has changed to alter any plans.

FS2004 is still the sim for me and likely will be for a long time to come. Maybe one day I'll add some FSX when faster future CPU's arrive. FSX hasn't even reached the beginning for myself so it is extremely far from the end.

MSFS 2020, not a single surprise from the very first promo video they released to today. It's a mess like many modern day game releases. Almost certain it's a game I will never have any interest in. Maybe in 2-3 years when the bug count comes down it might be good for an arcade style fly for a couple of hours a year but that's about it.

It appears for PC simulations of most types, you have to go backwards to go forwards.

Mark Daniels

I agree Mark i think my fears were unfounded, MSFS looks more like an XBox game than a sim imho. Gonna upgrade my rig slightly (1060 gpu and cant decide whether more memory or a bigger SSD for FSX?).

Its FSX for me!!

Mick

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 32GB Patriot Viper 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

LOL, Mark, they are all games, made by a Gaming Studio. Anyway, end of discussion about that.

Ive tried them all, and always end up going back to my now 8 installs of FS2004.

I've always regarded FSX as the Vista of flight sims, and just dont have energy to get is as smooth as Fs2004. And FS2004 has far moew, for me, aircraft & scenery.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

LOL, Mark, they are all games, made by a Gaming Studio. Anyway, end of discussion about that.

OMG Robin, I didn't intend it to sound like that! lol

However, MSFS does appear to be much more game for those who think of it in that way.

Yes, they are certainly all games. I'm one of the people who totally says if you want to simulate, in my country we pay $1,500 an hour to do it. That's a flight simulator otherwise you are a gamer who likes simulation genre based games.

Mark Daniels

Since about 95% of my flying is IFR flying, I don't see any reason to buy FS2020. I've been flying FSX for the last 8 years, and have way to much time and money spent in getting things for FSX to give it up now. It took me a while to go from FS9 to FSX, but I'm very happy with FSX now. I do like what I've seen in videos of FS2020 for the scenery in folks that fly low and slow, but I'm more of a long distance and high flyer!!!