Which settings to look at to reduce stutter?

I have the sim set up and working with my CH yoke and pedals. So far all I'm trying to do is fly the Cessna 152 around my hometown environment, checking out the scenery and trying to find a combination of settings that give smooth performance. I have Vsync on and frames locked at 30. Most of my other settings are pretty low.

I am getting pretty decent performance, but notice some minor stuttering when I bank into turns. Even mild stuttering is an immersion buster.

My system is an I5 6600K OC'd to 4.2 Ghz, a Geforce 1070 with 8Gb vram, 32 Gb ram, and Windows 10-64 and MSFS on an M.2 SSD. My internet speed is weak (DSL @ 6MBPS). This is a fresh install of Windows on a brand new drive. All my drivers are up to date, including the latest Nvidia driver for my GPU. I am running at 1080 resolution, full-screen mode.

Anyone have any idea which sliders/settings to mess with to try to eliminate stutter? It isn't terrible, but I really want to get things smooth. Willing to turn stuff down/off to get that.

Thanks!

I assume that you have a V-sync monitor?

If not, turn it off.

If thats not the problem i would personally start with the traffic settings.

This sim seems dependant on a high end graphics card so I would imagine that that is where your bottleneck might be.

Good luck

Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I assume that you have a V-sync monitor?

If not, turn it off.

If thats not the problem i would personally start with the traffic settings.

This sim seems dependant on a high end graphics card so I would imagine that that is where your bottleneck might be.

Good luck

Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. I have traffic and ground vehicles and stuff all off until I get smooth flight. I'm not sure if I have a Vsync monitor.

I think theres is something wrong with your Windows 10 or

processes eating up resources.

I have a much lower system than you and get no stutters (just a few on the beginning while internet loads the firsts maps, frames at 30, HIGH end settings for all. Check aldo your latest nvidia and install Nvidia Experience

i5 3600 16gb ram GTX 1060 3gb

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

I think it could be the internet connection. I have a good internet speed, and no stutters.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I have the sim set up and working with my CH yoke and pedals. So far all I'm trying to do is fly the Cessna 152 around my hometown environment, checking out the scenery and trying to find a combination of settings that give smooth performance. I have Vsync on and frames locked at 30. Most of my other settings are pretty low.

I am getting pretty decent performance, but notice some minor stuttering when I bank into turns. Even mild stuttering is an immersion buster.

My system is an I5 6600K OC'd to 4.2 Ghz, a Geforce 1070 with 8Gb vram, 32 Gb ram, and Windows 10-64 and MSFS on an M.2 SSD. My internet speed is weak (DSL @ 6MBPS). This is a fresh install of Windows on a brand new drive. All my drivers are up to date, including the latest Nvidia driver for my GPU. I am running at 1080 resolution, full-screen mode.

Anyone have any idea which sliders/settings to mess with to try to eliminate stutter? It isn't terrible, but I really want to get things smooth. Willing to turn stuff down/off to get that.

Thanks!

Your specs look fine, except for that DSL at 6mbps, as FS2020 relies on streaming of data. Any bottleneck there may cause stutters. But there could be other reasons. I would do the following:

1. Go into FS2020 data settings and set up a permanent cache (leave rolling cache as it is). Make the permanent cache something like 10 or 20GB if you have the space and then download an area you want to fly in, into the permanent cache. There are some videos on YouTube or google, if you don't know how to do it.

2. Install the very latest NVidia driver 452.06, as it is optimised for FS2020.

3. Make an exclusion for the FS2020 folder in your antivirus program (unless you changed it, the default directory is something bizarre like C:users/yourname/appdata/local/packages/Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe

4. If you use SPAD.NeXT, close it as it is known to interfere with FS2020 simconnect and cause stutters

i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

Your specs look fine, except for that DSL at 6mbps, as FS2020 relies on streaming of data. Any bottleneck there may cause stutters. But there could be other reasons. I would do the following:

1. Go into FS2020 data settings and set up a permanent cache (leave rolling cache as it is). Make the permanent cache something like 10 or 20GB if you have the space and then download an area you want to fly in, into the permanent cache. There are some videos on YouTube or google, if you don't know how to do it.

2. Install the very latest NVidia driver 452.06, as it is optimised for FS2020.

3. Make an exclusion for the FS2020 folder in your antivirus program (unless you changed it, the default directory is something bizarre like C:users/yourname/appdata/local/packages/Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe

4. If you use SPAD.NeXT, close it as it is known to interfere with FS2020 simconnect and cause stutters

Thanks very much.

It really does look like my bandwidth is an issue. I started playing with the cache and got some areas defined and downloaded. That seems to help.

I also verified that I have latest Nvidia driver. Made sure chipset driver is current. Excluded the program folder from antivirus software.

I'm getting frame rates around 55-60 with most stuff at medium. Still some mild stuttering with an occasional short freeze and mega -stutter, then resumtion of 55-65 fps.

Great dnpaul, good to hear you've seen some improvement. Even with my 50mbs fibre line, I also get a little stuttering when approaching a big city for example. I have a small program called Networx (free version 5.5.5) with a graph open on another monitor which shows all my network traffic and I can clearly see the direct link between data streaming picking up and the stutters. It is not bad in my case, only momentary fps drop to 10-20fps, before resuming at a steady 60fps where I've capped it in NVidia control panel. Hopefully in time, Microsoft/Asobo will smooth this out.
i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

Great dnpaul, good to hear you've seen some improvement. Even with my 50mbs fibre line, I also get a little stuttering when approaching a big city for example. I have a small program called Networx (free version 5.5.5) with a graph open on another monitor which shows all my network traffic and I can clearly see the direct link between data streaming picking up and the stutters. It is not bad in my case, only momentary fps drop to 10-20fps, before resuming at a steady 60fps where I've capped it in NVidia control panel. Hopefully in time, Microsoft/Asobo will smooth this out.

I set everything at High End, and still running nice and smooth except for the occasional drop like what you are describing. I'm sure they'll get that fixed.

I'm starting to get this thing figured out. It is really amazing. Now I know what some people mean when they say that they won't ever fly FSX or P3D again. It is such a leap foward. I hope they tweak the interface for the manual cache. It's pretty clunky, lol! They should have some presets where you can just select an entire state or even a small country, like Scotland.

rooitou,

I see you are running CH Products, as I am as well. After years of FS9 setting CH was never a problem. Now however in MSFS I am unable to set up all of my CH products.

Is there a turtorial (or some written document) that will show me exactly how to set up CH?

I can get into the configuration page, but it is a nightmare and well short of providing adequate setup. On my Throttle Quad (I fly multi-engine aircraft) there's no hint of setting "Start Engine" switches, etc...

Thanks for any input.

rooitou,

I see you are running CH Products, as I am as well. After years of FS9 setting CH was never a problem. Now however in MSFS I am unable to set up all of my CH products.

Is there a turtorial (or some written document) that will show me exactly how to set up CH?

I can get into the configuration page, but it is a nightmare and well short of providing adequate setup. On my Throttle Quad (I fly multi-engine aircraft) there's no hint of setting "Start Engine" switches, etc...

Thanks for any input.

golson...

Try this thread:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?324135-Yoke-configuration-not-working&highlight=control+profile

There's also a good video on YouTube... search for MSFS 2020 control assignment

Asus Z590 P, Intel I7-10700K, nVidia RTX 4070, 64gb ram(3200), 2 nvme ssd (2 tb total),

Samsung QN90B 43" 4k@120hz, Bose Companion 5 PC speakers, Velocity Flight One