ATC has a mind of its own (sometimes)

sidfadc

Hi,

I'm pretty new to FSX but lately only a couple of times I've had complete misdirection from ATC on an ILS approach. I've almost perfected the ILS approaches now after a lot of trial and error with a little help from Google.

Last night I was flying into Adelaide. At 13NM out I still hadn't received expected runway, heading and approach instructions. Anyway I was on a particular heading as advised by ATC and looked to be on track. When ATC did give me the runway and heading it was in completely the opposite direction. I continued with it thinking it will be corrected but I ended miles away from the airport.

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Cheers

Thomas

1) The default ATC has a lot of oddities. It's not coded to have human intelligence.

2) If you are using real-time live weather, the wind can change directions and only a few degrees can cause the logic to flip to another runway.

3) You can use the ATC dialog to FORCE the AI ATC to use the runway of your choice.

4) If you want totally realistic ATC with human intelligence, there are free multiplayer servers like Vatsim where you can fly with other human pilots and human ATC who handle problems more intuitively.

5) Don't expect too much of the AI ATC. It's not perfect.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

If you expect rw10, and atc gives you rw28, land rw28. Landing rw is based on wind direction, which can change fast.

Sometimes when you cancel landing and request landing a few minutes later, rw10 is active again. Especially with an external weather program, winds can change often.

"ATC is always right." follow their instructions, or go around if unable, and you will soon realise your mistake.

Just climb, clear your mind, stay clear of terrain and get your bearings. Tell the passengers "sorry, it will be an extre thirty minutes". Check your fuel, contact the airport and approach again. Aviate, navigate, communicate.

To many accidents happen where one pilot says "that doesn't look right" but they still continue.

Don't fall into that trap. If it doesn't look right, Go Around!

il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:) learned that from watching "Aircraft Investigation" episodes more then once.

Something else comes to mind. I don't fly IFR much. But I remember sometimes ATC can give some weird vectors.

They will eventually lead you to the airport but only if you follow directions. Only once you have followed up one vector, you get the next. That means, correct heading AND altitude!

If you forget to reset the barometer (B key) you can be 500feet lower then you should, and won't get the next instruction!

-Also, fly slowly, or by the time you get the instruction you are to far. There is a small delay before you get a message, more when there is traffic. As in, "fly left hand pattern rw27" when you just crossed it heading north.

il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived