I'm back - another very annoying problem! Aircraft won't even start! Carenado C550

Ralie25

Hello again all,

So, the Carenado C550. I've followed all the procedures and have tried everything I can think of but, the aircraft still won't start. The reason for this, is because I get to the point where you have to bring in fuel by bringing the throttles out of the "off" detent and into "idle". I haven't had one successful time where I've been able to start the aircraft because I am unable to bring the throttles out of the "off" detent. I've tried loading the default Mooney, leaving everything running, or turning everything off, and have the same problem. It does, however, seem that if using the aircraft right away after loading it the aircraft will work, but if you leave it, the throttles won't move from the 'off' position.

So, please, help me here and lets get this aircraft flying!

Best

I don't have the 550 but on the 560XL I find I have to press Ctrl+Shift+F4 ("fuel on" in turbines or "full rich" in pistons) before I go through the start sequence or it won't start. Oddly this behavior is unlike the CJ2 where Ctrl+Shift+F4 and Ctrl+Shift+F1 move the throttle levers in and out of the cutoff detent.

Try pressing Ctrl+Shift+F4 before you initiate the start sequence next time and see if that helps.

Can you start it with the Shift+8 panel? Or does it even have a Shift+8 panel?

Hi Jim, Have indeed tried each of those steps, to no success unfortunately. I can, with joy however, say that I managed to get the aircraft working. I wasn’t quite getting the click point right which was the problem. Very glad it’s fixed!

Thanks, Ralie25

Well good, all's well that ends well. :)

I've flown the C90 GTX in v4.5 BTW. It must be quite different that the 350i because it's ceiling seems to be about 27,000', limited by cabin pressure. The cabin altitude selector maxes out at 10,057' which just barely allows you to cruise at FL270 under most atmospheric conditions without the light coming on. Appears it cruises at about 274 KTAS at FL260 with the power levers all the way forward, 1800 RPM on the props, torque just below redline, while burning 595 pph. That's probably harder than a real world King Air pilot would run it I suppose, I really should try to find a POH online and learn how to fly it properly but it's already too slow as it is!

Well good, all's well that ends well. :)

I've flown the C90 GTX in v4.5 BTW. It must be quite different that the 350i because it's ceiling seems to be about 27,000', limited by cabin pressure. The cabin altitude selector maxes out at 10,057' which just barely allows you to cruise at FL270 under most atmospheric conditions without the light coming on. Appears it cruises at about 274 KTAS at FL260 with the power levers all the way forward, 1800 RPM on the props, torque just below redline, while burning 595 pph. That's probably harder than a real world King Air pilot would run it I suppose, I really should try to find a POH online and learn how to fly it properly but it's already too slow as it is!

Indeed it is! :cool:

Hmm yes the 350i will go higher I believe (may have mentioned that in my other post). I think its ceiling is 35000 but am still thinking 28000. It is 6AM here - forgive me if I make some mistakes - ha ha. And yes, you are really pushing the C90 with those power settings! Pretty sure the 350i comes with performance charts, should be the same as the C90? If not, I found some power settings for the 350 online just by searching "Kingair power settings" - sounds simple but a lot came up - ha ha. BTW, you say the cabin alt selector, are you setting the pressurization as per cabin alt or aircraft alt? I get the feeling that perhaps you're setting cruise alt as cabin alt - you want that knob to be set to the cruising alt + 1000ft. Looking here - I found the energy to look online at 6AM - ha ha again - you should get 30000ft out of the C90 and 35000 out of the 350i. What is your indicated airspeed at that cruise power setting?? And be pleased you are just in the sim, I think perhaps you'd lose an engine or 2 at that power setting!! :p

BTW, you say the cabin alt selector, are you setting the pressurization as per cabin alt or aircraft alt? I get the feeling that perhaps you're setting cruise alt as cabin alt - you want that knob to be set to the cruising alt + 1000ft.

The dial has both cabin and aircraft altitude on it, I'm sure the 350i has the same dial but probably with higher numbers. I made a chart when I was flying it just after release and I use that:

Cabin       0      1      2      3      4      5      6      7      8      9     10
    --------   ----   ----   ----   ----   ----   ----   ----   ----   ----   ----   ----
    Aircraft   11.4   12.7   14.1   15.5   17.1   18.7   20.2   21.7   23.4   25.0   26.9

The dial actually goes up to a cabin alt of 10,057'which lets you get away with FL270 without the light coming on but I've flown it in some atmospheric conditions where I couldn't make it to FL270. If it's certified for 30,000' you'd never know it with the Carenado version, with the cabin altitude wheel maxed out you can't go above 27,000' without the light coming on. :)

What is your indicated airspeed at that cruise power setting?? And be pleased you are just in the sim, I think perhaps you'd lose an engine or 2 at that power setting

About 185 kts. I found the charts and yeah I was running it harder than I was supposed to but still in the green. About 1430 lbs torque and the chart says 1170 for max cruise power at FL260 which is where I was. Surprisingly, for the approx weight I was, the lower power setting yielded almost the same speed I was getting with the balls to the wall. I'll have to play with that a bit and see if the airplane matches the chart.

I did a flight this afternoon adhering to the charts and it was surprising how close the Carenado version matched the numbers. ...or maybe they made the charts match the airplane, lol. Chart said max cruise power setting about 1400 lbs, 1900 rpm, FL210, 9500 lbs gross, I should be seeing 269 ktas and that's exactly what it did in the sim. I'm impressed. :)

I haven't flown this thing in almost 4 years, honestly that first flight in P3D v4.5 a couple days ago didn't go so well, I hated it, I was about ready to uninstall it, but this flight today went well and I enjoyed it so I guess I'll keep it around for a while.

Indeed, the 'lower' ceiling is probably a Carenado thing... My TBM press. system gets overwhelmed with anything above 28000, come to think of it that might be the actual ceiling - ha ha. But still it struggles in the higher FL's and the "diff press" peaks near the red above FL250 if I recall correctly. And jeepers, yes, that is pretty slow IAS...I get about 215 out of the 350i - may have mentioned that before. I'm surprised though as the C90 is such a smaller machine, what vertical speed do you get in the climb with it? Personally I don't see room for the C90 because anything it can do, the PC12 can do, and I personally prefer that aircraft. But for those operating over water and just need a smaller aircraft, I see the appeal of the C90. Still a very nice aircraft, but too small for me. Personally I like Carenado, I'm not a systems hog and if I was I would have purchased the Milviz 350i, which is a great aircraft but I'm sure framerates suffer. Great that you've found interest again in the C90, perhaps if you do get sick of it, look into the PC12 or if you're not doing grass runways, the TBM or Meridian. Both are nice airplanes IMO but I personally prefer the TBM over the Meridian as it has a more 'modern' feel and look to it. If you were to upgrade to the 350i, perhaps look at the Milviz version, as the Carenado 350i won't give you much of an upgrade on the C90, apart from small performance and visual improvements. At least with the Milviz one, you're going to get a more systems 'heavy' machine.

Anyway, sounds as though you've got it figured out, and perhaps try the C90 on some grass when you have a chance! Put it to the test ;)

• 3 weeks later...