Single End Runway

Roger Wensley

I have probably asked this question before, some years ago. If a runway is "single end" because at one end is an inconveniently large mountain is it possible to get ai to land or take off downwind if necessary? My scenery programme (SceneryGenX) has a setting box to be "ticked" for a single end runway but it appears to make no difference.

Closing a runway does not work, as I need the landings to be on 16 and take offs on 34, so they will still be using both runways while not taking account of the wind direction. Can a runway be closed only for landing? I will have a look to see.

The ILS idea could work as AI planes will always chose a runway with ILS for landing until the wind is more that 30 knots, and only then do they take account of wind direction. But, that ILS on 16 that makes them land on 16 will not make them use 34 for take off. Plus this is a backwoods runway in Monument Valley in Utah and an ILS would be an unlikely discovery.

I have an airport where one runway is closed for landing and another closed for takeoffs, it has worked for me plus it cuts down on traffic jams, ie aircraft waiting to take off when one is on approach.

But that is having 2 runways but it should work with one, try it and see, you can always change it back if not.

Col.

OK, here is a tragic tale of blank memory. After I discovered that I could close a runway for either take off or landing with AFCAD I then discovered that I could do the same with SceneryGenX, which I have been using for scenery making for only 15 years. Whoops. But it gets worse. I then opened an Idaho scenery I made maybe 4 years ago and which I remembered as also having a mountain at one end of the runway and found that I had already used SceneryGenX to close the runway etc etc. Couldn't remember doing that at all. Double Whoops.

I have probably asked this question before, some years ago. If a runway is "single end" because at one end is an inconveniently large mountain is it possible to get ai to land or take off downwind if necessary? My scenery programme (SceneryGenX) has a setting box to be "ticked" for a single end runway but it appears to make no difference.

I don't think it is possible. FS is designed for aircraft to take-off and land in the same direction.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

Another quick way is if you want to use that particular airfield then at the start of the sim change the wind direction in the weather settings.

I often go in user defined weather and alter the cloud height and I have the rate of change to medium, that too can be good.

Well it is possible. Though there was one more puzzle that I discovered just has to be ignored and it solves itself. Sitting watching an ai plane taking off on 34 for a downwind take off it was obvious that the runway was now "16 only for landing and 34 only for take off" no matter which way the wind blew. Good. But when I tried to select a runway for take off I was offered only 16?!? That made me think that it wasn't working.... After checking things I gave up. But, when I accepted the offered 16 it changed to 34! Don't ask me why or how, but it all actually works while sometimes pretending not to.

Going back to my earlier post where I said I have an airport with 2 runways, 1 for landing and 1 for takeoff.

I closed both ends for landing so no mater which way the wind is blowing it is still closed.

I also did a taxi path to keep them apart as well, so any aircraft going for takeoff go down taxi path A for example and aircraft that have just landed go down taxi path B so they avoid each other, thus not causing a head on jam.

Col.

Well it is possible. Though there was one more puzzle that I discovered just has to be ignored and it solves itself. Sitting watching an ai plane taking off on 34 for a downwind take off it was obvious that the runway was now "16 only for landing and 34 only for take off" no matter which way the wind blew. Good. But when I tried to select a runway for take off I was offered only 16?!? That made me think that it wasn't working.... After checking things I gave up. But, when I accepted the offered 16 it changed to 34! Don't ask me why or how, but it all actually works while sometimes pretending not to.

Hi Roger,

So what exactly do you need to do again to get AI to behave like this?

I'd like to try that with BGBW and BGSF, their runways operate in single direction due to high ground at one end.

Regards,

DDP.

It's not hard and shouldn't have taken 2 pages to get to the point.

Use AFCAD or better yet, ADE (Airport Design Editor) and close one runway end for take off and close the other for landing, etc.

Roger was just saying that by doing this there some sort of glitch if you will where FS will give you a runway for takeoff, but that runway is closed. However, once in the Sim you are placed on the right runway after all.

BGBW is my airport destination for when I make my way around the world going East from the U.S. I didn't find it hard to land on either side, though it seems every time I've been there the wind always favored runway 7.

Looking at the end of runway 25, I see a small 460' hill about 1.8 NM from the threshold. This should really pose much of an issue.

Now as you can see in the image, there are waypoints that are probably meant for runway 25. And for runway 7 there is a waypoint about 2.5 NM from the threshold.

tgrhbfgr.jpg

Hi,

For AI to not use a runway for TO/landing, that box has to be ticked on both ends, thereby defeating the single direction operation.

And yes, I've landed on RWY24 without any problems. RW, there are only charts for RWY06, BW020 is the MAPt for a RNAV circling approach.

BGBW-1.JPG

DDP.