Suddenly, FSX stopped working.

Trancer365

jetskimarine

Happy to have provide info that was of help..........................

Trancer365

Whilst it may seem daunting, it is really a very easy process. The main thing to remember about doing back ups it to find a system that works for you and then stick to it- as you get more familiar with process the less chance you will have of messing things up.

There are a number of ways and tools available to create backups but the easiest way is to simply copy and paste what needs backing up. Windows doesn't allow copied folders or individual files at the same level to have the same name and therefore will add the word copy automatically. So, for example, if you have FSX installed at C:\FSX and you make a copy and paste on the c:\ drive it will automatically be called C:\FSX - Copy but all of the underlying subfolders will remain the same names as those in the original folder Likewise if you were to copy a file within a folder (for example a file called ABCD.txt within a folder called C:\Test) and then pasted a copy of it in the same folder it would become ABCD - Copy.txt).

However, if you choose to place the copied folders/files at a different level or drive they will keep the original name - e.g D:\FSX or D:\Test\ABCD.txt. It should be noted that, once you have your initial copies of backups in place and start to make regular backups between the areas the Windows naming rule remains but in a slightly different form. if you copy a file from one folder (e.g. C:\Test\ABCD.txti) into another folder that has a file with same name (e.g. D:\Test\ABCD.txt you will be prompted to either Copy and Replace the old file with the new one (i.e. overwrite the old file with the new one keeping the same name). Don't Copy (File not changed and the paste action is aborted) or Copy but keep both files (a copy of both the old and new file is saved - the new file would become ABCD (2).txt in this instance. If you were to use the same option again the file would become ABCD(3).txt and so on).

Ideally, backups should be stored off the computer (either on a external HDD, USB stick or DVD disc) but if you have to store them on the computer I suggest creating a specific folder for them (for example C:\My Backups) and then you can simply copy and paste backups/files into it without having to worry about naming conventions to much

If you are worried about trying it out on 'live' files create a Temp folder and populate it with a few Subfolders. Inside the main folder window of the temp folder right click and create a new text document. Right click and Copy the document and then right click several times to paste 4 or 5 new copies. Rename them to different things and then practice copy and pasting into and out off the various subfolders. Once you are happy with that create another temp foder with a different name to the first and copy/paste files/subfolders between the two. Doing this will show how easy it really is.....

Regards

Brian

I appreciate that, longbreak. I'm sure doing backups isn't all that complicated. I have done lots of copying and pasting and I'm familiar with the "copy and replace, don't copy..." stuff but haven't done important backups (like backing up Windows or large files like FSX) although I think it's the same principle. Never used DVDs or a separate/eternal HDD either. I've use USB drives though to store stuff. So, I can actually put FSX on a USB drive (as a back up) as an alternative to creating another folder on the internal drive? So, if I want to do that I'd look in the C: drive (that's where I have fsx currently) - program files(x86)- MS games- MS Flight Sim. and copy that and paste it into a USB drive/or whatever media/drive I choose for the backup? Am I right? So, if there's a problem with FSX in the future, do I uninstall FSX and use the backup or how is it done?

Thanks again.

...So, if there's a problem with FSX in the future, do I uninstall FSX and use the backup or how is it done?...
The backup is so you don't need to uninstall.

Make copies of your entire FSX install ie; FSX folder, fsx.cfg, scenery.cfg, logbook.bin, etc., etc. Place them anywhere on your system.

Internal, external, USB stick, flash drive...as long as there is room.

For fsx.cfg and scenery.cfg you can open the file in notepad and Save As(type=all files) with the date in the name. fsx 2-11-15.cfg if something goes wrong, backup the file again, open fsx 2-11-15.cfg and Save As(type=all files) fsx.cfg.

To restore your FSX main folder, cut/paste it elsewhere. Rename the folder, so, it can't be mistaken, and copy/paste your backup in the original location.

I backup once a month to a dated folder. I keep 3 most recent. Once burnt, twice shy...Don

FSX file locations:

fsx.cfg, dll.xml, and GrantedRewards.BIN, {C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX}

Your control settings = Standard.xml {C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls}

Logbook.BIN and Flight Plan files

{C:\Users\UserName\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files}

scenery.cfg

{C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX}

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

When the tech left you in selective startup (which he shouldn't have) it disabled one or more auto startup items FS needs like DirectX and drivers. When you returned to normal, this is what got FS going again. Other games would been broken too.

"wondering if there is anything I can do to avoid future problems."

The world of experimenting with add-ons is inherently risky. The less experience you have with administering your PC the more risk. Put your add-ons in one at a time and test for hours between installs. If you are using add-on scenery, test not only inside the new scenery area, but crossing in/out of the area coming and going from various sides.

If you got a SbyS error only once, or infrequently (not every time) then it's likely there is software or a driver you are not using every time causing it. There are many programs of various kinds out there which can make other software crash.

Too many to list here, but one of the most common is the popular itunes utilities.

I suggest getting all your current problems well behind you before putting your add-ons back in so you can track what's causing new problems by associating them with changes you have made.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Thanks, fxsttcb. It looks like it's going to take some learning to do that. It might be simple stuff but it's new to me and it looks it's a little different from regular every day copy & paste. I hope youtube has some videos on this stuff.

Thanks, pvarn. Yeah. That HP girl didn't sound too professional and I didn't like the way she ended the call. So that "remote assistance" session was the culprit? That's what I've been wanting to know because like I mentioned the FSX problem started right around the same time. There was that message (FSX cannot run during remote assistance....) but I just couldn't understand how they could've been connected. I have GTA4 on my PC and it ran fine when I tried it. Well, I'm just glad I thought of logging out even though I don't even know why I decided to do it but it seemed to have solved the problem. I have run FSX several times and have left it running for several hours and I haven't had even one problem since. Even the occasional "fatal error...." I used to get haven't come back, but I still haven't installed any of the addon planes yet. I will be adding the addon planes one at a time as advised. So, at this point I think FSX is running as good as it can be but I really need to learn how to back it up now.

Thank you all for the help.

• 2 years later...
Trancer, quick question. I have the same thing. Had the system for a long time and never had this occur. You made a comment that it was a bad idea to start deleteing without going to the "Event Viewer" first. I haven't deleted anything, so, what should I be looking for in the Event Viewer that will fix this disaster?? Any info appreciated .....

Trancer, quick question. I have the same thing. Had the system for a long time and never had this occur. You made a comment that it was a bad idea to start deleteing without going to the "Event Viewer" first. I haven't deleted anything, so, what should I be looking for in the Event Viewer that will fix this disaster?? Any info appreciated .....

Sorry, swede1. I just saw your post. I haven't come here in a long time but just came to check the place 'cause I was a little bored. I can't remember but I think what I did to get the game going again was to re-install it, or I might have done a repair install and it's been working fine since.

I know a re-install can be a headache but sometimes it's unavoidable.

Archived