Time for a new computer-- How do I move FS9?

rorymc1

I have been putting off getting a new computer because honestly I don't want to loose everything I have worked to create in FS9, which I have backed up on an external drive in case of disaster.

The time is approaching for me to get a new computer (while I still have access to all my files on my old computer) I just have no idea how to transfer all the FS9 aircraft, scenery without it taking days to complete. I also have no idea how to take a Windows 10 computer and 'downgrade' it to windows 7 (so FS9 will work without issues)

If anyone has any experience doing this, please let me know.

Everything has been said in Mark's link. I would suggest to do a fresh and basic installation. FS9.1 update an no CD patch should be installed before running basic FS9 the first time. Than rename FS9 to "FS9 original" or something like this and past the whole backup to hard disk. A backup should be done of FS9.cfg too to keep same settings as before.

But why you want to downgrade Windows 10? FS9 runs more stable than with any OS before.

I have been putting off getting a new computer because honestly I don't want to loose everything I have worked to create in FS9, which I have backed up on an external drive in case of disaster.

The time is approaching for me to get a new computer (while I still have access to all my files on my old computer) I just have no idea how to transfer all the FS9 aircraft, scenery without it taking days to complete. I also have no idea how to take a Windows 10 computer and 'downgrade' it to windows 7 (so FS9 will work without issues)

If anyone has any experience doing this, please let me know.

If it's "loose" then tighten it up. :)

If you are building/buying a new computer why not just put your current FS HDD in the new computer and just dual boot? That's what I did over the years when it was time to upgrade. I have 3 HDD's in my computer. One Windows XP drive that runs FS9 only. A second HDD with Windows 7 with games that I did not want to reinstall when I upgraded my parts. My third HDD has Windows 10 Pro on it and all of my current programs that I run today. I never had to reinstall anything. And all 3 HDD's are cloned to external HDD's that I can clone back if I need to.

All I do when I boot up my computer is tell it which HDD to boot up to and I'm good to go.

So, make a backup of your sim on an external drive.

You have 2x options.

Either do a fresh install. If you are installing into Windows 10, there are a few things to do first:

Or, Copy & Paste your backup of the sim into C:\

Right-click & send the FS9.exe to the desktop.

Right-click that icon, select "Properties", Click the 'Compatibility' tab, select XP, then, further down, Tick 'Run as Administrator'

When you run it for the first time, a new fs9,cfg will be created, so you will have to double-check & maybe re-do key assignments.

You will also have to re-install all payware stuff, as these affect the registry.

Yiu can also download & run the registry tool from Flight1, that sorts out the registry for you.

https://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

Doing this quicker copy & paste works like a charm, however (yup, always an however), you will probably loose whatever flights that have been saved in My Documents\Flight sim files (or whatever its called)

Doing things this way will also allow you to set up multiple sims. I have 8!

Hope this sorts you our,

Regards,

Robin

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Archived