nVidia Color Settings for FSX

Hi all:

I'd like to get your thoughts on the color settings given on the nVidia Control Panel. I am running Win 7 64 Pro on a 43 in 4x HD Vizio TV, 4790k at 4.6, and GPU 970 GTX. Overall the picture is very nice and I am happy with it. But, in FSX, better is always preferred over good. :) So lately I have been tweaking the color adjustments using the nVidia settings accessed through the control panel. There you can adjust Red, Blue, and Green hues and 3 characteristics, or you can select to allow the application to control. The results will change the overall shades of the FSX picture, scenery and aircraft. I fly mostly high and fast in FSX and very little low and slow. However, there is always the take off and landing, and I am interested in having the scenery look as realistic as possible within FSX, and of course the panels as well. So I tend to use the darker hues as it seems to provide more of a realistic shade to the vegetation and buildings. But there is a plethora of adjustments which can be made both in nVidia and in the TV on the colors.

I am very interested in hearing your views and ideas, and more about how you approach this tweaking, as it were :)

Thanks in advance,

Rick

My thought on this is simple. You want your monitor to represent accurate color so things represent as intended. You can go crazy and set up a color shift in one direction or another but it will affect everything. While shifting colors through the control panel may make one particular color now look a little better, other colors and areas will go to cr*p.

If you load add-ons the creator paid particular attention to color accuracy, you will lose all this accuracy.

I wouldn't be using the color adjustments for effects as that's not what it is for. You can only create a color cast with it. It's there for calibration purposes not visual effects.

Mark Daniels

My thought on this is simple. You want your monitor to represent accurate color so things represent as intended. You can go crazy and set up a color shift in one direction or another but it will affect everything. While shifting colors through the control panel may make one particular color now look a little better, other colors and areas will go to cr*p.

If you load add-ons the creator paid particular attention to color accuracy, you will lose all this accuracy.

I wouldn't be using the color adjustments for effects as that's not what it is for. You can only create a color cast with it. It's there for calibration purposes not visual effects.

Yes I agree with your thoughts on this completely. My objective is to be certain that I am using the color options in the GPU and in the TV to best advantage so that I do obtain the add on intentions. On other occasions I have had folks correct me on things I was doing when I've asked for opinions. That is why this board is so helpful. Guys chip in ideas.

Thanks

Rick

There is no common best setting. Use what looks best to you.

Every pc and screen is slightly different. So is every eye.

Exactly. I have spent many hours as pax in commercial aircraft looking down at the ground, mountains, and oceans. I am trying to capture the look as I have seen.

Thanks

Rick

Archived