new install

wd22

I would like to install my old FS program on my brand new windows 10 computer with a spare full TB of space for all my scenery.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to best install it so it works properly and all the scenery is correctly recognized.

16G ram, Nvidia 1070 graphics card, for got the processor, but it is Intel 9th generation.

Thanks.

Simple question, indeed!

The simplest answer: Install OUTSIDE of Program Files; any location like C:\FSX or D:\FSX (if you are talking about an extra drive). This is for the 'old' disk version presumably.. If you mean your 'old' Steam version, make sure your Steam location is also NOT in program Files - it can be moved very simply following the directions provided by Steam to a locations such as C:\steam.

You can install Scenery anywhere - either in the FSX folders in a FSX\Addon_Scenery folder or a scenery folder outside of the game: C:\FSX_addon_Scenery. If the scenery has an installer, you can let it install to its default location or perhaps direct it to your preferred location.

Add-on Aircraft will typically install to the FSX\SimObjects\airplanes folder but an independent Add-on folder can be useful for keeping add-on and default aircraft separate - There is a list in FSX.cfg that lists all SimObject paths; just add your new location there if you go this route.

One of the most useful things I've ever done is to create a Folder on my desktop for all the links to a game. In the case of FSX, I've links to the executable, FSX.exe; to the FSX.cfg and Cameras.cfg, to the Scenery.cfg, to the Appdata folder so I can quickly get to files like exe.xml, dll.xml and the Standard.xml where the key assignments are kept. I also have links to related programs like Plan-G, FSEarthTiles, various scenery folders, my add-on aircraft folder; the SimObjects folder etc. Having to search for these things more than once is just a waste of time.

Take notes as you go. Take your time. Test frequently; finding a problem after you've added 60 new features can be very disheartening! Enjoy creating something new!

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Archived