What FSX tweaks are still valid for todays FSX-SE installs?

Fresjay76

Hello all I am new to these forums but have been playing FSX-SE since November 2018. I have run the gambit of OOM hell in the pursuit to get my FSX stable with the add-ons I purchased to up the visuals in the game. I currently have the system stable enough to have a several leg flight in my most VAS heavy plane with almost every add-on I have installed and running.

System:

Ryzen 7 2700X

16 GB DDR4 3200 (Running at 3200)

GTX 1070 Ti

Samsung NVMe M.2 500GB SSD

Windows 10 Pro

All Drivers and BIOS are up to date.

Here is why I posted. In order to get everything running at the stage it is at I had to set everything up in DX10 preview. I also had to uninstall my ORBX add-ons leaving only my REX add-ons (REX 4 TD W/SC EE, REX Worldwide Airports HD, REX SkyForce 3D). Add-on aircraft currently are Aerosoft Airbus Ultimate Collection, QualityWings 787, and QualityWings BAe-146 Collection. Now I have been told that I shouldn't be running in DX10 but it was the only way to get it to run, still look good and not OOM CTD constantly. I do have Process Explorer so I can monitor my VAS usage and is how I was able to adjust things to stay in an acceptable range.

So as it hopefully shows I have done a ton of research and tweaking already. But would really like to get my ORBX add ons back in use with the REX since they were supposed to be designed from jump to work together. REally looking to see if there is an updated tweak guide to see if there is something I am missing that is forcing this to run in DX10 mode to get the results I am after.

Now I do also have a Laptop that I had been playing on previously that is currently running all my add-ons with the same aircraft and not in DX10 mode without the OOM issue. Sadly I cannot for the life of me remember all the tweaks I did to it in order to get it to run this well out of DX10. Its specs are lower than the new computer (Ryzen System) but seems to have a better go at FSX.

Any insight of direction you can point me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

Jorgen, I had read through most of his tweak guide before noticing the date. That is really the reason for the post. 6 years later with FSX-SE these are still valid? That was my question that I couldn't really find a solid answer for.

Lesh, My problem was I kept running into the OOM barrier. I didn't want to pull the REX programs as I felt they gave a bigger boost to the program visually individually than the ORBX did as a whole. Yes the ORBX did help don't get me wrong but the REX showed more overall returns visually. I would love to get them back into the sim as frankly I have more than I like to admit into them to just cast them aside. I used the the last of Steve's fixers before they became payware. That one fix really tuned FSX in on DX10 settings. Would picking up the payware version help that much more?

As of right now the game runs smooth regardless of the plane I am flying with about 1.5-2GB buffer in the VAS depending on the plane. I forgot to add what monitor I am using. Currently using a 43" 1080p TV as a monitor. But a 4K actual computer monitor is pending in the near future.

Jason

Kosta's tweaks are still valid, absolutely. The tweaks might only become invalid if FSX was updated or rewritten, but there's not really a chance of that. FSX-SE is to all intents and purposes the same as FSX Acceleration, with very minor modifications, and then repackaged.

I do not use DX10 myself, and I do not have REX or ORBX. Yet I still run into OOMs over very dense scenery, such as New York City or Seattle.

Jorgen

Thank you for the input gentlemen. I will actually be testing the results on both ends of the spectrum. I am now in the process of a fresh clean install of FSX on my laptop (Alienware R15) where I will run through and use Kosta's tweaks. On the new desktop which is the system I mentioned in the initial post I will get the updated DX fixer to check its results.

Again thank you guys for the responses and inputs.

Jason

• 3 weeks later...

Would like to post a bit of a follow up to this. After testing both methods of tweaking FSX:SE I found that Kosta's tweaks did great on my laptop that has a bit less processing horsepower than my desktop. As for the Desktop I found the DX10 fixer route was the better option visually since the desktop runs at 4K. Although I would like to point out a couple of Kosta's tweaks were implemented on the Desktop in conjunction with the DX10 fixes to smooth out some hitches. I would like again to thank everyone for you help and input.

Thanks,

Jason

Archived